About Gun Convergence

CarlosD

Hello community, one question, is it true that gun convergance is not "valid" or active in Arcade mode battles even if you change it before going to battle with a plance? thanks :)

[EDIT] And if this is true, which is the "default" distance in arcade?

Edited by CarlosD

It's there, you can see for yourself if you change the convergence distance for two planes while using tracer rounds with the multiple planes you get in arcade.

Most people use less then 400m convergence distance, with the lightest and heaviest guns normally set on lower convergence (because of the need for sustained fire and/or poor accuracy), and the middle ground guns (12.7mm, 20mm) being set on higher convergences.

• Upvote 1

It depends on what plane you're flying really. Convergence in AB is more for wing mounted guns and for how near or far the distance you usually like to start firing from. As a rule you should set it between 300-500m, i go for 500m, if you prefer up close and personal then go for 300m or less....experiment!

• Upvote 1

Gun convergence works in all modes, but as far as I am aware the targeting circle is, or was set as just under 800 meters, so it can't/couldn't be used to fire accurately unless you set you convergence to 700 - 800 meters, I'm not 100% sure if this has been corrected or not, as I have moved on to RB.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Gun convergence works in all modes, but as far as I am aware the targeting circle is, or was set as just under 800 meters, so it can't/couldn't be used to fire accurately unless you set you convergence to 700 - 800 meters, I'm not 100% sure if this has been corrected or not, as I have moved on to RB.

The targeting reticle is a linear estimation of where the plane will be if flying straight, at a distance of either 300 or 400m (I forget which).  If you're firing beyond that distance you need to aim well in advance of the indicator, firing at around that distance you can aim at the indicator & firing closer you can aim inside the indicator & more at the plane itself.  It doesn't allow for bullet drop due to gravity or the muzzle velocity of your weapons.  You therefore have to lead more if firing something slow like FF 20mm & less if firing Hispanos or ShKAS. 

Anyway, regarding convergence its not just the distance at which you're comfortable aiming, but the distance at which the guns do their best damage.  Large calibre cannon aside, generally the faster the projectile the less it'll slow down over distance & hence you can fire from further away.  7.62mm, Italian/Japanese 12.7mm and slow 20mm cannon (German FFs and Japanese Type 99s) need much closer range to be truly effective on a consistent basis, so your convergence and firing habits should be adjusted to match.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

The targeting reticle is a linear estimation of where the plane will be if flying straight, at a distance of either 300 or 400m (I forget which)

I wasn't aware it was so regular.  That does a lot to explain why it feels like most of my shots were going wild.

Well, that and the fact that I am a terrible shot. 

• Upvote 1

The targeting reticle is a linear estimation of where the plane will be if flying straight, at a distance of either 300 or 400m (I forget which).  If you're firing beyond that distance you need to aim well in advance of the indicator, firing at around that distance you can aim at the indicator & firing closer you can aim inside the indicator & more at the plane itself. 

Oh ho! Glad I caught that nugget!

I've been trying just to hit the indicator the whole time. :D

When in the hanger, go to menu and then options. Under Convergence you can also find vertical convergence here. Turning this option on means the convergence of your guns now also account for the ballistic drop. So if you set your convergence to 400 metres with vertical targetting on, your shots will pass through the reticule perfectly, just hope the target is at that point when your bullet is there, too. Be mindful that that the vertical correction is for the distance to the target relative from the position you fired from. So if your target is 400 metres in front of you, and you have your convergence set to 400 metres and you aim at him dead on, your bullets will go below him because he has moved away from the point you zero'd on. Be mindful that this can change the behaviour your weapon works in a turnfight, because these weapons are slightly turned up.

Par example if you are rolled slightly to the left, your bullets will deviate to the left a bit because they are set to counter ballistics in level flight.

This may be the cause you're not making so many hits, your bullets are falling to the ground before they can reach the target, it might be a good idea to check what your tracers are doing in such a scenario, if you see the tracers 'on' the target you know you're shooting to low, the reticule is just a suggestion but tracers always speak the truth :)

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

• 9 years later...

Being a 10yr old thread, probably won't be seen, but Long5hot. THANK YOU!! No wonder I couldn't shoot for ****. My first game since reading this was noticeably far better!

I treated the lead reticule the same as the Naval reticule, not knowing it was just showing a fixed distance constantly; no wonder my shooting was miss or miss or hit or miss!!

Thank You, may both sides of your pillow be ever cool!! >XD