AD-1 and AD-4 Skyraider

Your_SAT_Score

In the Q&A, it seems some people are complaining the A-1 Skyraider is getting 2x 20mm cannons.

After a quick google search, it looks like Gaijin is implementing one of the earlier variants of the Skyraider, probably the AD-1.

The AD-1 to AD-3 variants were only armed with 2x 20mm cannons.

However, the AD-4 onward were equipped with 4x 20mm cannons and did serve during the Korean war. One notable example was the Hwachon Dam, where AD-4 Skyraiders from VA-195 attacked the dam with torpedoes.

Sources:

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/skyraiders-torpedo-the-hwachon-dam/

http://www.airvectors.net/ava1spad.html#m4

I have also attached a Pilot's handbook for the AD-4 Skyraider, which dates to 1949. This was found in ww2aircraft.net.

I recommend implementing 2 variants of the Skyraider, the earlier AD-1 and the more powerful AD-4N under the Navy Bomber line.

• Upvote 7

Open for discussion  :salute:

However do you happen to know when the AD-4 model came into service?

• Upvote 1

Open for discussion  salute.png

However do you happen to know when the AD-4 model came into service?

Going to say 1949, but going by this won't be very accurate:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/deetwoxcess/works/7266978-1949-douglas-ad-4-skyraider

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

AD-4 variants came into service in 1951, October of that year to be exact. AD-5 (the 4 seat variant) was to come into service during the Korean war, and while designed and ready for production, the production of the AD-4 pushed its entry into service back until the very end of the war, where several saw limited use as tankers with buddy stores.  However, this proved problematic, as jets of the day were a touch too fast, and tended to try to stall when refueling from the AD-5.

• Upvote 1

Going to say 1949, but going by this won't be very accurate:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/deetwoxcess/works/7266978-1949-douglas-ad-4-skyraider

AD-4 variants came into service in 1951, October of that year to be exact. AD-5 (the 4 seat variant) was to come into service during the Korean war, and while designed and ready for production, the production of the AD-4 pushed its entry into service back until the very end of the war, where several saw limited use as tankers with buddy stores.  However, this proved problematic, as jets of the day were a touch too fast, and tended to try to stall when refueling from the AD-5.

Thank you, just wanted to make sure this was not a post 1953 variant.

• Upvote 1

No worries Smin. There were several variants, up through the AD-7, but everything past AD-4 made it into service post 1953.  Technically, you could argue the AD-5 would be fine, but it saw little to no combat, as I noted.  It was unique though, having 4 seats as opposed to the usual 1.  As I understand it, the AD-5 continued in service through Vietnam, with some remaining in Navy Service as submarine hunters into the 80's, when the Viking plane entered service.

The crew in the 4 seater was, IIRC,  Pilot, Co-Pilot, Radar operator, assistant radar operator.  The two rear seat crew could also work as bomb officers, though typically it was a hand off type situation.  Meaning the one pilot flew while the other slept, and vice versa, with the same going for the two rear seat crew. That way, with aerial refueling, 12 to 16 hours on station weren't unheard of.

I remember my father (now deceased) who served in Vietnam talk about the Skyraider.  He noted that even the single seat planes had such a time on station (Ie how long they could stay aloft) that pilots would routinely take their lunches with them.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

I think too, need a US Navy attacker plane from the post war or Korean war era, beside the F8F Bearcat and F9F Panter. The best onto this the Douglas Skyraider. I think this is a Tier IV.

AnF9F-2PantherofFighterSquadronVF721F4U-

This is a great idea and i hope see later this famous plane!!!  :salute:

Edited by Thiky
medal medal medal medal

• 4 months later...

Hi guys!

I think too, need a US Navy attacker plane from the post war or Korean war era, beside the F8F Bearcat and F9F Panter. The best onto this the Douglas Skyraider. I think this is a Tier IV.

In the newest USA tech tree could be after the PBJ-1s, like the BR IV.

F4U_Corsairs_and_AD_Skyraiders_of_Air_Gr

medal medal medal medal

• 5 weeks later...

The wonderful plane in finish!!!!  :yes:

Untitled_000098.jpeg

medal medal medal medal

AD-4's came into *front line service* in 1951.  They were in service in 1949, however. 

The AD-5 came into service in early 1953.

The AD-6 was a separate development from the AD-5.  It was a side development of a single seat AD-4 prototype, and came into service in September 1953.

medal medal medal

That's a crappy idea.It would make a ********* in the forums.

Dude I want it

medal medal medal medal

Moar BBQ is always good.

Kitchen sink bomb for AD-2  good too... Google it. 

medal

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

As the AD-4 has been previously implemented,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions.:salute:

• Like 1