Object 279; The FINAL Soviet Heavy Tank

Ruslan_DR

Tenk.  

619 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want this in game?

• Of course
    • No.
  2. 2. Would you want this vehicle EVEN IF it meant the Kpz-70 and MBT-70 variants would be put in to combat it?

• Yes
    • No, keep your silly designs out of my game.
  3. 3. Would you want this if we had more vehicles in between them, and had at least one equal match for each nation?

• Of course.
    • No
  4. 4. how about as a tournament vehicle, like the E-100?

• Yes, it's well deserved.
    • no.

Personal realization: The only way we can get composite-era armor in-game this through tanks like the Obj. 279 (the one proposed here).

• The Russians would recieve the T-64 (205mm of spaced RHA-fiberglass frontal hull armor @ 68o from the vertical & 599mm of spaced-composite frontal turret armor @ 90o) and Obj. 279 (turret-side LoS RHAe thickness of 368.4mm @ 30o from the vetical)
  • The Germans would get their 120mm Kpz-70 (245mm of spaced-composite turret armor @ 53o from the vertical & 190mm of similar frontal hull armor @ 60o from the vertical)
  • The US would likely get either the MBT-70 (Kpz-70 + 152mm gun similar to Sheridan) or the XM-60 with an effective 342.9mm of siliceous-cored chassis armor angled frontally @ 60from the vertical (effective LoS thickness of 685.8mm)
  • The British would get the glass-RHA sandwich plated Super Conqueror and/or a version of the MBT-80 (1979)

Plus, ATGMs like the MGM-51 (393.7mm @ 90o) that we'll be seeing in-game will already penetrate between 300-500mm of RHAe (not to mention 500-650mm if we get composite tanks).

So all in all, if Gaijin really wanted to, they could balance out 450-700mm RHAe composite tanks with HEAT-FS/APFSDS rounds and ATGMs with similar penetration ;)

Edited by Results45
medal medal medal

Personal realization: The only way we can get composite-era armor in-game this through tanks like the Obj. 279 (the one proposed here).

• The Russians would recieve the T-64 (205mm of spaced RHA-fiberglass frontal hull armor @ 68o from the vertical & 599mm of spaced-composite frontal turret armor @ 90o) and Obj. 279 (turret-side LoS RHAe thickness of 368.4mm @ 30o from the vetical)
  • The Germans would get their 120mm Kpz-70 (245mm of spaced-composite turret armor @ 53o from the vertical & 190mm of similar frontal hull armor @ 60o from the vertical)
  • The US would likely get either the MBT-70 (Kpz-70 + 152mm gun similar to Sheridan) or the XM-60 with an effective 342.9mm of siliceous-cored chassis armor angled frontally @ 60from the vertical (effective LoS thickness of 685.8mm)
  • The British would get the glass-RHA sandwich plated Super Conqueror and/or a version of the MBT-80 (1979)

Plus, ATGMs like the MGM-51 (393.7mm @ 90o) that we'll be seeing in-game will already penetrate between 300-500mm of RHAe (not to mention 500-650mm if we get composite tanks).

So all in all, if Gaijin really wanted to, they could balance out 450-700mm RHAe composite tanks with HEAT-FS/APFSDS rounds and ATGMs with similar penetration ;)

Well, according to the Developers there isn't going to be any kind of composite armour added to WT...

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Well, according to the Developers there isn't going to be any kind of composite armour added to WT...

Yeah.....so tell me what Gaijin's said about adding the Mig-17 and AGTMs 2 years ago?

Edited by Results45
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

Yeah.....so tell me what Gaijin's said about adding the Mig-17 and AGTMs 2 years ago?

Well, I remember those statements about the Mig-17 that you're referring to, but as far as I remember they've said that there won't be any guided air to air missiles, but there might appear ATGMs in the future...

Well, if the composite armour mechanics would be added it would allow Soviets to have T-64, which was the most probable opponent of the Chieftain if there would be a conflict between Warsaw pact nations and NATO after 1968. So under current circumstances it can't get into the game despite the fact that it entered the active service in 1964, which is BTW sooner than Leopard 1 or Chieftain.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...

I'm actually surprised this topic was still going into may. As i've stated on this topic it was more of a mini social experiment than a serious suggestion... But thinking of it, the Keiler and MBT could be a decent combat solution to this thing. They're kinda all in date, the second 120mm keller, the MBT-70 for both US and GER, with the downgraded  XM803 (practically the same, using only native parts and missing the hispano cannon.) preceeding it.

The Keiler's early DM-13 can pen this, right? and we have the ATGM's in the KPZ-70's to deal with it as well as the APFSDS, with less pen.

medal

Unbalanced against current tanks in game. Maus is already enough disabled against MBTs and the T-10M to face this thing.
You can see the result in game. No one play the Maus anymore. This super-heavy is too old compared to other nations' designs.

MBT-70 isn't planned in game to face this. Yes ?

Edited by Fighter117
medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, Fighter117 said:

MBT-70 isn't planned in game to face this. Yes ?

not really, but i only just started considering it again since there's a Keiler in place now, as another possible option. Does have around like, 700mm of pen or something rediculous but it would be enough for this i believe. 

medal

3 hours ago, Ruslan_DR said:

I'm actually surprised this topic was still going into may. As i've stated on this topic it was more of a mini social experiment than a serious suggestion... But thinking of it, the Keiler and MBT could be a decent combat solution to this thing. They're kinda all in date, the second 120mm keller, the MBT-70 for both US and GER, with the downgraded  XM803 (practically the same, using only native parts and missing the hispano cannon.) preceeding it.

The Keiler's early DM-13 can pen this, right? and we have the ATGM's in the KPZ-70's to deal with it as well as the APFSDS, with less pen.

That tank is still no reason to bring out the Keiler.

medal

1 hour ago, Nope said:

That tank is still no reason to bring out the Keiler.

I sincerely hope you're joking. If they can get this and we STILL can't get a keiler, which has better mobility, can pen it, but no armor, while this has good armor, mobility, and can still pen most things without even using HEATFS, then i smell some serious bias on you, tovarisch :v

• Upvote 1
medal

2 hours ago, Ruslan_DR said:

I sincerely hope you're joking. If they can get this and we STILL can't get a keiler, which has better mobility, can pen it, but no armor, while this has good armor, mobility, and can still pen most things without even using HEATFS, then i smell some serious bias on you, tovarisch :v

What of the British then? A Chieftain mk 5 doesn't seem competitive against that, and let's remember that the APFSDS came in 1984 for the L11. The Stillbrew appliqué also doesn't provide enough protection against DM13 as well. It's not just Russia vs Germany. Take into account everything. The US would have the T54E3, which has access to a 120mm that could potentially fire some sort of APDS rated at 500mm penetration or something like that. In that matchup, the British lose.

medal

1 hour ago, Nope said:

What of the British then? A Chieftain mk 5 doesn't seem competitive against that, and let's remember that the APFSDS came in 1984 for the L11. The Stillbrew appliqué also doesn't provide enough protection against DM13 as well. It's not just Russia vs Germany. Take into account everything. The US would have the T54E3, which has access to a 120mm that could potentially fire some sort of APDS rated at 500mm penetration or something like that. In that matchup, the British lose.

The Vickers MBT Mk 4 Valiant could work for the British, still won't have any better ammo than what is on the Chieftain if you give it the same armament as it. The good part about the Valiant is that its Universal turret can also mount the same gun as seen on the Keiler (as well as a different French 120mm smoothbore).

Edited by Mercedes4321
medal medal medal medal

I have strongly mixed feelings. On one hand, this tank looks spectacular, it is one of a kind. Surely it would be fantastic to see it in the game.

On the other hand - it wasn't produced, do we know why? Here is the reason I'm asking:

When IS-7 was tested, it showed the great top speed (sources are saying 50-60kmh). It was in fact fast tank, but the tracks and wheels were damage and ruined very, very fast, and fuel consumption was huge. If that tank was ever to be put to production, these problems would had to be removed, therefore most probably IS-7 would not be so fast, maybe tracks would be wider, so it would be rather slow monster rather than dynamic, aggressive tank we know from WoT. WoT version of IS-7 is taken directly from tests, so it is kinda historical, but it is a bit unreal. The same with ISU-152 with BL-10 gun - this gun was tested on the vehicle, yes - but recoil was so brutal, it sometimes knock the crew members. Again - historical, but unreal - it wouldn't be used on the battlefield.

I know, that Maus is also historical and unreal, but in this case - we have no other option, no other vehicle to put.

And there is one more thing - modeling that tank would be probably very hard, and we would meet many issues, weakspots and inaccurate modeling.

I'm not voting, I can't decide :P It's a great tank, but there are many doubts :)

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, LordMustang said:

+999 best tank ever, even nuke can't kill it.

If a nuke hits 279, it will basically be deleted. 

• Upvote 1
medal

2 minutes ago, WulfPack said:

I'm unsure of any tank that can take a direct hit from a nuke, a few have survived them at a distance.

medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, WulfPack said:

It's just made to operate in areas where nukes have already been used. Or any sort of chemical or biological weapons. Of course, the commander cannot pop out of the hatch at this point.

medal

• 1 month later...

This topic now has more votes and pages of feedback than the comparable IS-7 thread already "Passed to Development".

Can any one of you suggestions mods please move this to "Further Discussion" (if not to development along with the other "ultimate" Russian heavy tanks threads).

Thanks! :happy:

medal medal medal

If...and only if  the US get the M1a1 abrams with APDSFS uranium rods with tusk protection and reactive armor....  then i'll even consider it. 

till then, FAWKKKK NO. 

Edited by *Baconator100012

3 hours ago, *Baconator100012 said:

If...and only if  the US get the M1a1 abrams with APDSFS uranium rods with tusk protection and reactive armor....  then i'll even consider it.

That's exaggerating a bit. Even the M1 is too much for that thing.

medal

30 minutes ago, Nope said:

That's exaggerating a bit. Even the M1 is too much for that thing.

If it is, then i would say it's about time the American Heavies earn an American Bias Name lol. Honestly, that UFO is weird, I can't even pen the is3/4 till i use the M551's ATGM and thats it. This tank is just gonna make it worse if the IT-1 wasn't bad enough. 

43 minutes ago, *Baconator100012 said:

If it is, then i would say it's about time the American Heavies earn an American Bias Name lol. Honestly, that UFO is weird, I can't even pen the is3/4 till i use the M551's ATGM and thats it. This tank is just gonna make it worse if the IT-1 wasn't bad enough. 

bEfYdYt.gif

Seems fine to me.

medal