Chieftain Marksman SPAAG Tank

TheCloop123

So as the title implies i think the British could do with at least one more top tier SPAAG in there line. and the one in question is the Cheiftain Marksman.

this tank to be honest wouldn't be all that hard to make for the British, because it was mounted on the MK3 Hull you really only have the turret to contend with making it easy for the devs to make :) 

The Marksman self-propelled anti-aircraft gun was developed by Marconi. This British company had a history of radar development. The Marksman is comparable with the German Gepard SPAAG. The only operator of this SPAAG is Finnish Army, which ordered 7 units in 1990, locally designated as the ItPsV 90. 

The Marksman is armed with two 35-mm Oerlikon KDA automatic cannons. A total of 460 fragmentation rounds and 40 armor-piercing rounds are carried this had a rate of fire of 18 rounds per minute. 

this vehicle entered service in the 1990's but with technology that this vehicle had i do not see it posing a threat in balance if it was added it would just make a nice addition :) 

here are some of specs of the vehicle, still trying to find some information around but hey ho :p

Crew - 3 men

Dimensions and weight:

Weight  ~ 55t

Length (gun forward) - 7.12 m

Hull length - ?

Width - ?

Height - ?

Armament:

Main gun - 2 x 35-mm Swiss Oerlikon autocannons.

Machine guns:

Projectile weight - 0.55 kg

Maximum slant range - 4 km

Maximum firing range - ?

Rate of fire - 18 RPS (Rounds per second) this could be reduced to keep it in line with balance depending on what ammunition it uses and penetration wise

Elevation range -  -10 to + 85 degrees

Traverse range - 360 degrees

Ammunition load:

Main gun- 500 rounds 250 rounds per gun, with 20 Anti-tank rounds to be used against ground targets.

HEI: High Explosive Incendiary (-T—Tracer)

SAPHEI: Semi-Armour Piercing High Explosive Incendiary

FAPDS: Frangible Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot

AHEAD: Anti-missile rounds, that fire "152 heavy tungsten metal sub-projectiles".

TP: Target Practice (-T—Tracer)

Mobility:

Engine - L60

Engine power ~ 574hp

Maximum road speed - 28-30mph

i missed the source edition :( forgot that needed adding to a suggestion post,.

this relates to the turret system its self and small background information about it being mainly used by the Finnish on the T-55 and having many variants from other nations http://www.worldheritage.org/articles/Marksman_anti-aircraft_system#cite_note-3

this one relates to the Twin 35mm guns that are used by the Marksman turret system and also are the exact same ones that are used on the Gepard for the Germans with identical ammo and velocity. http://www.worldheritage.org/articles/Oerlikon_35_mm_twin_cannon

below are some small videos i found of the tank/gun system in question

Edited by TheCloop123
source info
  • Upvote 15
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

However,your current suggestion is missing historical sources in order to be complete. Please make sure to add the sources you have used in accordance to the rules. If you do not add said sources within 48 hours,the thread will be closed. 

+1

6 hours ago, KapitanSolovey said:

Aw hell yeah. +1 

Could we get those AHEAD rounds too? It'd be neat to make SPAA's have the ability to defend your team against ATGMs

i dont think so, the Gepard should have AHEAD as well and didnt get it

Edited by I0IeXeI0I
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

My only problem with it, is that it was never accepted in the British Armed Forces(I don't know if it was even offered). 

Spoiler

brochure3.jpg~original

brochure6.jpg~original

article01.jpg~original

photo article02.jpg

Edited by WulfPack
  • Upvote 1
medal

• 1 month later...

Type 87 is coming so this will be great for the British tree

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Walrus_batter said:

i just realised it says leopard III on there

I noticed it awhile ago, I still don't know what Leopard variant its talking about.

medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...

This is a nice looking SPAAG. IF this one has better survivalability compare to the Falcon then I say sure why not.

But do we really need another "gepard"? In combined arms its already quite hard to use aattacker or bomber aircrafts... do we really have to make it even harder? 

Dont get me wrong i also hate to get bombed, but the problem is, these SPAAGs have enough armor penetration to kill light or medium tanks, and becouse of this, players use them as anti tank SPAAG instead of watching the sky and kill the enemy air units. Im sure im not the only one who experienced the situation when you driving a tank next to a friendly anti air, and you get bombed becouse it was shooting an enemy tank instead of the airplane.

After all I mantioned, sure lets make it to the game, but without HVAP rounds.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

28 minutes ago, Rohrkrepiererer said:

+1, IF a similar vehicle is proposed for every nation. And a whole new range of top Tier jets is introduced.

We already got similar for each nation, at this point Britain is lacking in the AA area, Falcon is good but just no one likes it. And why would we need new line of top tier jets???

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

30 minutes ago, Rohrkrepiererer said:

+1, IF a similar vehicle is proposed for every nation. And a whole new range of top Tier jets is introduced.

There already are similar vehicles for other nations. 

medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, Rohrkrepiererer said:

I am talking about a second top Tier SPAAG for every other nation.

I am pretty sure we gonna get that for nations aside from Japan, Japan's top tier is a last resort but for the US we can have the M247, Russia can have the ZSU-37-2 and Britain can have the Sabre or Marksmen mounted on the Chieftain hull. idk what Germany and Japan can have.

10 minutes ago, BucketOfKnobs said:

I am pretty sure we gonna get that for nations aside from Japan, Japan's top tier is a last resort but for the US we can have the M247, Russia can have the ZSU-37-2 and Britain can have the Sabre or Marksmen mounted on the Chieftain hull. idk what Germany and Japan can have.

Well, I'm  not strictly against them, as long as they don't get radar guided firing control systems. Or better, if they do, it should be added for the Gepard etc. as well.

Also, I think that there are pretty good AP rounds for all of those. If they geht them, then I want the APDS for the Gepard and Type 87 as well. Those had like 200mm of pen at 500m or something like that.

I'd prefer to leave tank killing to actual tanks though.

Edited by Rohrkrepiererer
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

6 minutes ago, Rohrkrepiererer said:

Well, I'm  not strictly against them, as long as they don't get radar guided firing control systems. Or better, if they do, it should be added for the Gepard etc. as well.

Also, I think that there are pretty good AP rounds for all of those. If they geht them, then I want the APDS for the Gepard and Type 87 as well. Those had like 200mm of pen at 500m or something like that.

I'd prefer to leave tank killing to actual tanks though.

They have said they may add a use for radar and maybe the option to put it down to help with a lower profile so they may go together.

17 minutes ago, BucketOfKnobs said:

They have said they may add a use for radar and maybe the option to put it down to help with a lower profile so they may go together.

I don't know bout you, but I think it would be pretty cool to habe that. Would force bombers to fly at a pretty high altitue for once. Attackers and fighters would less effected by it.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, Rohrkrepiererer said:

I don't know bout you, but I think it would be pretty cool to habe that. Would force bombers to fly at a pretty high altitue for once. Attackers and fighters would less effected by it.

I am hyped for a function like that, maybe an assisted aim or in RB/SB they get a advanced kind of radar that only senses high alt planes and then for the SPAAs with radar they can hide, I have spotted a few Gepards cos of their radars in my time. Would love to see radars having a function