Type 4 Chi-To (Production Version)

I would like to make a suggestion to include the Chi-To (Production Version) into the japanese tree as a successor to the Chi-To we already have in the game. 

Right now in War thunder we have a Type 4 Chi-To but there are two versions of this vehicle, the one we have in War Thunder is the prototype version of the tank. The production version of this tank has various differences from the prototype, particularly with armour layout which in my view would make it notably better in overall combat performance. 

I have found this useful photograph of two scale models of the Chi-To, the one on the left being the prototype and the one on the right being the production version. As you can see there are some obvious differences, the front of the turret for instance is much narrower and not as tall. This would make it a more difficult target at long ranges and easier to conceal allowing you to take advantage of hull down positions. The upper front hull armour has greater sloping, it has the same 75mm thickness but the angling gives it around 100mm effective. The front turret armour is also better angled, including the front cheeks and side armour as well.

I also found an illustration showing the layout differences from the side of the vehicles, again the prototype being on the left and the production version on the right. I have also found a schematics drawing of the production version which again very much highlights the greater sloping on the armour layout. Aside from armour I am not aware of any other differences, perhaps there are significant mechanical differences as well but this would require more research.

I think this vehicle would serve as a more natural successor to the Chi-To we already have in the game rather than the Chi Ri, the Chi Ri seems like a marmite tank for a lot of people and requires a skillful player to make full use of it. The Chi-To production vehicle would be an alternative for those who don't like the Chi Ri auto loading system. It could also present an opportunity for gaijin to look into restructuring the tree, the Chi-Ri could lead into an addition of the Ho-Ri tank destroyer as it is based on the Chi-Ri chassis. With the revisions to the armour layout and the fact it is a smaller target, I see the production Chi-To as being a better tank than the Chi-Ri with a BR of around 5.0-5.3. 

I also thought i'd put in an illustration from the finemolds scale tank kit to give you idea of what it looks like.

UPDATE

I did have some sources for this suggestion which i forgot to mention when i initially posted. I have been trying to research the Chi-To and other japanese tanks for a while now. I came across the schematics drawing originally from a page on www.tanks-encyclopedia.com, i have used that image for this suggestion (Source: http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/japan/Type_4_Chi-To.php). Interesting to note that on the page it does perhaps hint that there was a built example of the production version of the Chi-To as it says "Eventually, only two were built, a prototype and a pre- production vehicle, tested in 1944". With the way it's phrased it somewhat suggests that there was a vehicle built to the production version specifications as well as the prototype.

I have also looked at a For the Record Post (Source: http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/09/23/type-4-chi-to-upcoming-tier-5-medium-tank/). The post makes reference to the fact that the hull and turret armour layout had been redesigned for production. According to the post the front armour of the production tank would have been around 106mm effective based on the angling. I found the illustration of the side layout of the two tanks from this post also.

I am trying to find more information that will provide data on armour, I believe the front turret armour was 75mm like the prototype version but I have not found a technical data to support it yet.

311.jpg

Chi-To-proto-and-produc.jpg

Type_4_medium_tank_Chi-To_planned_production_model_01.jpg

151855-10244-pristine.jpg

Edited by TheAngryBadger93
adding sources to suggestion, re setting tag prefix
  • Upvote 9
medal medal medal

Open for Discussion.:salute:

However, your current suggestion is incomplete. Please provide at least two different matching sources that you used to create this suggestion. If you require help on this matter, then it wouldn't hurt to take a look HERE. If the previously mentioned sources are not added within 48 hours, the suggestion will be closed.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Was this projected only, or did they produce a hull before the war ended?

Given the scarcity of suitable japanese tanks I'd say this would be a good addition since the japanese tank tree is quite empty, especially between 3.7-4.7 with only the Chi-To being non prem there.

+1

medal

Nice but to me it looks a tad bit shorter than the other and I see no rivets. I support this

medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, AtomicPope said:

Was this projected only, or did they produce a hull before the war ended?

Given the scarcity of suitable japanese tanks I'd say this would be a good addition since the japanese tank tree is quite empty, especially between 3.7-4.7 with only the Chi-To being non prem there.

+1

4Nk2Eop.jpg

• Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 year later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

As the Chi-To Late got added per update 1.69,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions.:salute:

• Like 1