Fuji T-1A - Light Attack Jet Fighter For Japanese Tier V

Fuji T-1A in War Thunder?  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Fuji T-1A in War Thunder?

• Yes and at 6.7
    • Yes but... (Please explain)
    • No thanks (Please explain)

Hello everyone,

Today I was browsing for interesting new fighters when I came across this Japanese built trainer, while not technically a fighter, the T-1A still was outfitted with offensive weaponry.

t1c.jpg

The Fuji T-1A was designed and built by Fuji Heavy Industries of which stems from the prominent WWII fighter developer, Nakajima Aircraft Company. The T-1A was also the first indigenous jet fighter design since the closure of the Second World War, and was to serve as Japan's first indigenous jet trainer design. It took to the skies for the first time in January of 1958 and in the end a total of 66 T-1s of multiple variants were completed with 46 being of the T-1A variant. Aside from one minor hiccup (which I will get to) the overall specs are well within the capabilities for the game especially when compared to other jets in War Thunder.

Spoiler

Fuji_T-1A.jpg

The T-1A was powered by one British made Mk 805 Bristol Siddeley Orpheus turbojet engine, which propelled the fighter at a maximum of 860 - 925 km/h, which is faster then the P-80 but not exactly an outstanding top speed by any means. It had a really nice climb rate of 33m/s. It's armament consisted of a provision for a single 12.7mm M53-2 (M2 Browning) mounted in the nose, although I cannot seem to find the exact ammunition count, it was also capable of carrying two 340 kg (750 lb) bombs, which could be swapped with two 455 L external drop tanks. As well as being capable of mounting two AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles of which this suggestion is to omit, there has been similar suggestions like the A-4 Skyhawk which was suggested without its missiles. And given there is such a limited selection of capable jet aircraft for the Japanese tree I thought that this would be more then able to make the cut, as everything aside from its missile armament (which wouldn't be represented in game) is within the technical limits of the game. The Fuji T-1 also was capable of carrying 2 additional 12.7mm gun pods fitted on external bomb pylons under each wing for emergency purposes, while the pods are not specified they were likely sourced/copied American SUU-12/A (XM14) pods as they originate from the same period and served the same military purpose (arming lightly armed vehicles, like the OV-1 and UH-1). While this would solve the armament issue, it would make the player choose between a bomb payload or gun pods for air to air engagements.

I believe the Fuji T-1A would make for a great beginner multirole fighter for the Japanese fighter tree, in my opinion a 6.7 BR would fit perfectly, as it would fly faster and climb better then it's peers at its BR, whilst also being a good ground attacker with its bomb load out, although its petty offensive gun armament leaves something to be desired. In air to air conflicts it would most certainly be a very tough aircraft to master and would necessitate a disciplined play style, with its single internal 12.7 mm gun but its speed and bombload would make a great fast ground attacker for a 6.7 - 7.0 BR (The addition of its two wing mounted gun pods makes this aircraft much more viable).

avf86_3_8.png

Specifications (Cited as per Wikipedia - Jane's All The World's Aircraft 1965-66)

General

Crew: 2

Length: 12.12 m (39 ft 9 in)

Wingspan: 10.50 m (34 ft 5 in)

Height: 4.08 m (13 ft 5 in)

Wing area: 22.22 m2 (239.2 sq ft)

Aspect ratio: 4.96:1

Airfoil: K-561/K-569

Empty weight: 2,420 kg (5,335 lb)

Gross weight: 4,150 kg (9,149 lb) clean

Max takeoff weight: 5,000 kg (11,023 lb) (with external tanks)

Fuel capacity: 1,400 L (308 Imp Gallons)

Powerplant: 1 × Bristol Siddeley Orpheus Mk 805 turbojet, 18 kN (4,000 lbf) thrust

Performance

Maximum speed: 925 km/h (575 mph; 499 kn) at 6,100 m (20,000 ft)

Cruise speed: 620 km/h (385 mph; 335 kn) at 9,150 m (30,000 ft)

Range: 1,300 km (808 mi; 702 nmi) (internal fuel)

Ferry range: 1,950 km (1,212 mi; 1,053 nmi)

Service ceiling: 14,400 m (47,200 ft) [8]

Rate of climb: 33 m/s (6,500 ft/min)

Armament

Guns: Provision for 1 × 12.7 mm Browning M53-2 machine gun in nose

Hardpoints: 2 with provisions to carry combinations of:

• Missiles: 2 × AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles
  • Bombs: 2 × 340 kg (750 lb) bombs
  • Other: 2 × 455 L (100 Imp Gallon) drop tanks
  • Gun Pod: 2 × 12.7 mm Browning

Again for clarity this suggestion is for the Fuji T-1A without air to air missile capability.

Cheers!

References

Edited by *AceArchangel
Additional Info in Green Text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 29
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Open for Discussion.:salute:

However, this might not be a very useful jet due to limited armament capabilities.

• Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 3/29/2017 at 9:00 AM, SAUBER_KH7 said:

Open for Discussion.:salute:

However, this might not be a very useful jet due to limited armament capabilities.

Understandable, but hey thanks for the opening the suggestion! :salute:

In my thoughts this would take an Arado sort of role fast but little to no offensive capability outside of bombs.

This aircraft and the Arado B-2 have the same payload capacity. The T-1A has less payload, similar top speed and climb rate as the B-57A Canberra but makes up for that by being smaller and more nimble.

Edited by *AceArchangel
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, *AceArchangel said:

Armament

Guns: Provision for 1 × 12.7 mm Browning M53-2 machine gun in nose

Hardpoints: 2 with provisions to carry combinations of:

• Missiles: 2 × AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles
  • Bombs: 2 × 340 kg (750 lb) bombs
  • Other: 2 × 455 L (100 Imp Gallon) drop tanks

1 mg.....

8 minutes ago, SAUBER_KH7 said:

However, this might not be a very useful jet due to limited armament capabilities

I agree but I'm not sure at the moment if this would be useful, but it is a nice jet nonetheless.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Rohrkrepiererer said:

No jets at 6.7, nice try though.

Yak-15 / Yak 17 / Kikka / He162

But for a jet able to perform than a P-80/F80: it would 7.0 for real.

any call under that because it was a light armement will be equal as nothing : Attacker Class (it's nearest class for a Jet Traineer)

Edited by Cpt_Bel_V
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

YES! sure it was a trainer, and it's armament is comically awful, but a post-war native japanese jet is worth it. i'd peg it at 6.3 because a single M2 simply isn't strong armament and because the majority of prop planes can still engage it. even in AB it'd be a support aircraft with light bombing capabilities as pilot sniping is the only thing it can really excel in.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Cpt_Bel_V said:

Yak-15 / Yak 17 / Kikka / He162

But for a jet able to perform than a P-80/F80: it would 7.0 for real.

any call under that because it was a light armement will be equal as nothing : Attacker Class (it's nearest class for a Jet Traineer)

Alright, let me rephrase that. No jets at 6.7 that perform similar to F2H2s

As much as I would like to see Japan get more jets, a single .50-cal for armament is laughably poor.  Even the T-33As (trainer variants of the P-80) that they had were more heavily armed, but that admittedly isn't saying much as those still only had two .50-cals.

Then again, since when has lack of armament ever stopped a Japanese pilot from scoring a kill so long as they have a perfectly functional plane to use as a weapon? :004_2:

Edited by Z3r0_
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

BlueBeta
BlueBeta gave Admiral_Aruon a warning for this post
Reason: Verbal Warning Only · Points: 0 ·
8 hours ago, Rohrkrepiererer said:

Alright, let me rephrase that. No jets at 6.7 that perform similar to F2H2s

*laughs internally and externally*. there's few jets at 9.0 that are vaccinated outperform the infamous F2HIV. 

2 hours ago, Z3r0_ said:

Then again, since when has lack of armament ever stopped a Japanese pilot from scoring a kill so long as they have a perfectly functional plane to use as a weapon? :004_2:

least armament, most honorabru.

the future attitude of future T-1A players:

1362985550369.jpg

Edited by admiral_aruon

BlueBeta (Posted )

Do Not: 1.1.2. Start or participate in flame wars, intentionally derail a topic, or post useless spam messages in moderated areas. Strictly off Limit Topics and Discussions, including posting links: 1.1.19. Profanity and insult via direct statement or implication (full or partial circumvention). This includes the use of swearing, medical-related reference (such as cancer, mental illness, etc.), offensive and abusive language, and other references of an insulting or profane nature. Automatically filtered items are exempt from action. 1.1.23. Any post judged to be "insulting and/or inflammatory by deed or intention" by the Gaijin Staff and administrato
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, admiral_aruon said:

YES! sure it was a trainer, and it's armament is comically awful, but a post-war native japanese jet is worth it. i'd peg it at 6.3 because a single M2 simply isn't strong armament and because the majority of prop planes can still engage it. even in AB it'd be a support aircraft with light bombing capabilities as pilot sniping is the only thing it can really excel in.

and i'm laughing on you now,...

I heard all of this argue, but simply: 

it has an Arrow wing (no one had that under 8.0 excepted Me262A's)

it was from 1958,... there is no plane after 1952.

It was a trainner jet, and what? that's not a combat aircraft, what did you expect?

4 hours ago, Cpt_Bel_V said:

and i'm laughing on you now,...

I heard all of this argue, but simply: 

it has an Arrow wing (no one had that under 8.0 excepted Me262A's)

it was from 1958,... there is no plane after 1952.

It was a trainner jet, and what? that's not a combat aircraft, what did you expect?

ok. and the arrow wing means what exactly? the T-1A still goes 925 kph.

actually the youngest plane is from 1954. and the current cutoff date for planes in WT is 1960.

how many combat-intended jets past the mid-1950s are subsonic/transonic? and i'm expecting a plane that is fast and extremely annoying but limited in damage output. a true mosquito jet. what the hell are YOU expecting?

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, admiral_aruon said:

ok. and the arrow wing means what exactly? the T-1A still goes 925 kph.

actually the youngest plane is from 1954. and the current cutoff date for planes in WT is 1960.

how many combat-intended jets past the mid-1950s are subsonic/transonic? and i'm expecting a plane that is fast and extremely annoying but limited in damage output. a true mosquito jet. what the hell are YOU expecting?

Gaijin has effectively scrapped the cutoff date now in favor of a technological cutoff.  For aircraft, the cutoff seems to be "no afterburners, no mach 1+ top speed in level flight, no guided air-launched munitions".  It just so happens that the late-50s is about the time that aircraft that fit those restrictions stopped being designed.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

33 minutes ago, admiral_aruon said:

ok. and the arrow wing means what exactly?

It's like the Yak-3P red paint job: Makes plane go faste )))))

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 hours ago, Z3r0_ said:

Gaijin has effectively scrapped the cutoff date now in favor of a technological cutoff.  For aircraft, the cutoff seems to be "no afterburners, no mach 1+ top speed in level flight, no guided air-launched munitions".  It just so happens that the late-50s is about the time that aircraft that fit those restrictions stopped being designed.

sadly not quite. i found this out from an A-10 suggestion that linked to another A-10 thread which Smin made it clear from a link to a Gaijin rule that there is still something of a time-cutoff in effect.

9 hours ago, Retry said:

It's like the Yak-3P red paint job: Makes plane go faste )))))

well i can't argue with that. :)

3 minutes ago, admiral_aruon said:

sadly not quite. i found this out from an A-10 suggestion that linked to another A-10 thread which Smin made it clear from a link to a Gaijin rule that there is still something of a time-cutoff in effect.

well i can't argue with that. :)

The A-10 also has access to guided weaponry (the MAIN armament may be the GAU-8 that it's built around, but it still has stuff like Hellfire and Maverick missiles)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Z3r0_ said:

The A-10 also has access to guided weaponry (the MAIN armament may be the GAU-8 that it's built around, but it still has stuff like Hellfire and Maverick missiles)

so does the F-86F-25. it was able to carry sidewinders.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, admiral_aruon said:

so does the F-86F-25. it was able to carry sidewinders.

With modifications.  iirc the F-86F-25 entered service before the first-gen AIM-9s were ready.

There's also the balancing factor of course - the A-10 would've just been ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, swpixy said:

+1 for implementation of this.Yes,its armament is very limited,but with bombs it could still be useful as support in GF...

I agree Japan is missing that one key component, the Fuji would be capable of carrying 700 lbs more of air to ground armament then the closest matched fighter in the Japanese tree the R2Y2 and even the Kikka. The F-86F30 Sabre has 2000 lbs max payload but that is at the cost of being top tier. That is why I think adding a lower BR aircraft like this with negligible A2A capabilities but with a quite effective A2G loadout would make sense to balance the Japanese low tier 5 with enemies that have aircraft like the Arado (same max payload) and the Canberra/B-57 (less payload on the T-1A, but smaller and faster to compensate).

Edited by *AceArchangel
  • Upvote 1