IMPORTANT! Suggested change in Realistic Squadron Battles

zerbah

its not a good idea, fight in air are random, no brained battle, bomber can easily now spawn in the air and bomb the ground.

first the fact of a fighter dive to bomb was not a problem because ok  he rush the ground but after die ... we have the sky after we can bomb too.

NOW ITS ONLY HEADON LOW ALT NO DG....

IN PLANE ITS POOR !!!!

THE PROBLEM I VE SEEN TODAY ITS 4 SPIT AT GROUND TO KILL OUR TANKS... THEY FELW AT 50M ITS POOR TO ENGAGE GAME AT 50M ALT...

PLANE ARE ONLY HEAD AND RANDOM KILLS NO 1VS1 OR 2 VS2 ... ITS 4V4 YOU SHOOT WHAT YOU SEE ... STRATEGY ENGAGMENT ARE USELESS NOW ...

GIVE US BACK THE AIR SPAWN !!!!! ALL OF THE BEST  SQUADRON IN RB DOESNT LIKE THIS REFORM !!!!!!!!!!

CrZylan AEFR squadron Commander

Edited by CrZylan
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

AOD did a lot of experimenting over the weekend with a variety of tactics to some success and some failure. Some thoughts:

-Firstly very few teams changed their tactics from our experience, match ups remained 4 tanks 4 planes and the planes mostly remained bearcats and spitfire mk24s, though we did see the odd yak and shinden kai. The only distinct change I saw was more experienced squads dropped their payloads in advance of the first engagement and needing to RTB for a rearm before coming back to kill tanks. Not every squad but more than usual. Outside of one clan early on cutting aircraft down to 1 plane and multiple SPAA we saw no shift back towards ground forces heavy teams. We did encounter one other team experimenting with bombers like us and a few teams who were unaware that bombers got air spawns who got quite irate with us.

-Bomber spam is viable and can be incredibly cheap, I don't know if it's something we'll see a lot but we did record a small win streak with a team of 4 bombers focusing on killing the tank force in the opening 5 minutes of the game and then turning tail and running from the fighters while our tanks capped a point and then hid. It was quite a cheap tactic as it is somewhat reminiscent of the classic climb to insane altitude and run tactics bombers use to apply in standard realistic air battles.

The main advantage was simply how unexpected it was, none of the teams we played were prepared for it. As one team we played pointed out, if they had brought a single AAA we would have lost. But the issue at the moment is no one is bringing AAA and the best form of response they can give is using coaxial guns to shoot at the do (to varying levels of success) but our average was bombers wiping out 3/4 of the enemy tanks before any other engagement.  Map, and enemy vehicle composition affected the results, some maps suit bombers better (mozdok being a prime example) and a team that brings primarily medium and light tanks are harder to hit with a bomb then heavy tanks. So I wouldnt call it a slam dunk tactic, if bombers failed to make a big enough initial dent in the enemy tanks then the arriving fighter bombers essentially push us off and return the favour in kind to our tanks. It's a high risk, high reward tactic.

Which is why I dont think we'll see a lot of bomber spam. It is viable but you can get quite frankly the same result from a single bomber and use your remaining spawns for something else so that you are not racing the clock on incoming fighters and opting not to use a bomber at all and rely on fighter bombers is still a perfectly workable tactic if you have full confidence in your pilots.

-I expect/hope fighter composition to change a bit in the coming weeks. We found with the airfield spawn other fighters started becoming viable options in the make up of air forces, we found it more effective towards the end to rely primarily on a single bomber for ground attack and shift our 3 fighters more towards an air superiority role with other fighters becoming effective choices as they excel in areas that the bearcat and spitfire were simply just *good* in or if they were filling a fighter bomber role actually performed average due to the added weight.

In contrast to AEFR we found we had much more success when we had our pilots focus on traditional Air RB discipline and tactics over what was until now the squadron battles norm. In fact when we did fly as we would normally do in sqb we found ourselves less successful than we were last season as the nature of the airfield spawn meant the engagement was spread out more and players got isolated. Previously it was fairly easy to keep the engagement focused over the main battlefield and use it as a large central landmark to orient each other on our positions. Now maps like Ardennes and Normandy have entire air battles taking place well south of the main tank battle so the landmarks become much less distinct. 

Of course though AEFR are currently ranked 1st while we are only rank 82, so I recognise that they've had a lot more time on with the new system then we've had.

Over the weekend we found the most success with a single fast bomber (do-217 or A26) and 3 fighters leaning in favour of air superiority over fighter bomber (2 air sup 1 fighter bomber in case the bomber fails to make any damage to the enemy tank force). Bomber spam was second and consisting of 3 fast bombers (do-217) and 1 dive bomber (BTD) and our standard 4 fighter-bomber was used for a chunk of games as well to very mixed results. I wasn't present for all games and one always has to simply account for some teams either being simply better or worse regardless of tactic and the luck/team spirit factor but thats the report being sent back to me. But overall I'm quite positive about the change and hope to see some variety ripple out to all the squadrons as this season continues.

IN TERMS OF SOLVING THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM OUTLINE IN THE OP

That planes no longer attack tanks from the beginning of a match, rocketing them. That has not so much been solved but shifted to a bomber attack now, which can be easier to counter if players stay aware and is on a much shorter timer then the previous scenario.

So less solved but more shifted to a more manageable scenario where it can be countered, both when it's a bomber and a later arriving fighter bomber. But it does still feel like planes decide everything in SQB at the moment.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Thank you for your in-depth analysis of the new mechanics.

From the Russian forum, 3 squadrons left their response after the implementation of airfield spawn and they are 100% positive. 

The only completely negative response we had so far is from AEFR.

I will ask the statistics department to check the changes in the battle duration before and after the new mechanic was introduced.

We will continue to monitor the forum topics and I will inform you if anything is about to be changed.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Since we are bonding and sharing here...

I dont see a huge difference. 24s are still ruling srb. Its still all very similar to what we had before imho. There is that window of opportunity for a bomber but thats not easy to pull off especialy if the tanks are smart enough to hide for 2 min. Didnt see or try the 4 bombers thing. But i think we are missing the main issue here. The question isnt how air will dominate srb its how to tilt the scale towards tanks a bit.

How about limiting fighters to 2 per team? 

And take premiums out of srb or at least take is6 out. Thats an unfair advantage 40$ gives you and it shouldnt be a part of (at very least) this mode.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Néhány javaslat az SQB játékmódhoz.

1. Egy Squadron csak egy időzónában játszhasson... ( tisztességesebb volna )

2. Fegyétek figyelembe a halál - ölés arányát. ( negatív eredménnyel top 10-ben..   ???) 

3. Módositani a jutalmazás rendszerét.. ( top 20-ig emelni a nyereményt.. 2 hónap csata után 16 gold / fő díjjazás ???)

köszönöm ha elolvastad.

További szép napot.

Some suggestions for the SQB game mode.

1. A Squadron can only play in one time zone ... (more decent) FAIR PLAY

2. Consider the death-killing ratio. (with negative results in top 10 .. ???)

3. Modify your reward system .. (raise your winnings to top 20. After 2 months of battle, 16 gold / main prize ???)

thank you for reading.

Have a nice day.

medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
On 01/05/2017 at 11:58, zerbah said:

The bombers would still spawn in the air.

Please let us know your opinion of this new mechanic in this topic. Thank you.

Something like the Pe-8 should be just only available for BR 4.3 and not above or not allowed to be used in Clanwars - this is really annoying and even after they have been Destroyed they are able to drop their Bomb (R2Y2 Series and Arado Series also) and with that Airstart even a Newbie can do a Total Damage to your own Team with just flying straight into your Team:

https://streamable.com/9jn53

On 09/04/2019 at 00:15, Nebaki said:

Something like the Pe-8 should be just only available for BR 4.3 and not above or not allowed to be used in Clanwars - this is really annoying and even after they have been Destroyed they are able to drop their Bomb (R2Y2 Series and Arado Series also) and with that Airstart even a Newbie can do a Total Damage to your own Team with just flying straight into your Team:

https://streamable.com/9jn53

1. The airspawn is to short, 20 sec after the start they are already above your own tank spawn, while your fighters have to start from the airfield. heavy tanks can't move that fast. and in case of the Pe-8 even medium tanks can't go so far to be secured from this bugged 5 tons Pe-8 bomb.

2. The Pe-8 bomb is very bugged. hills, rocks, houses or other objects are non-existent for its bombs. sometimes you get killed like 800meters away on the other side of a very big hill. or on the opposite of a village. things what normally shouldnt happen.

3. the low response of the most squadrons is because these posts are totally far away and covered deep into the forum archive system. ppl just wont search for them.

it's an important question for all squadron battlegroups. but it is treated  like a minor thing. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal