Jump to content

The biggest bombs in game.


Pony51
 Share

  • Technical Moderator
On 6/20/2017 at 3:59 AM, TT33a said:

What if it has a more effective explosive type?.

 

Does not change the total mass (2000kg).

Besides, safe to transport explosive of that time where pretty much the same, TNT and its variation, Amatol.

(So safe, they could fall 30,000 ft and still not explode just hitting the ground; it needed a fuse to detonate.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where the hell are the Earthquake bombs? Gaijin said they would do them but that was about 3+ years ago you utter let downs.

Edited by Blitzkrieguk
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Blitzkrieguk said:

Where the hell are the Earthquake bombs? Gaijin said they would do them but that was about 3+ years ago you utter let downs.

 

What are those?

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 minutes ago, R6ckStar said:

 

What are those?

 

They were highly special bombs. They came in two sizes. Tallboy (12000 lb) and Grandslam (22000 lb) to put that into perspective

10242003lg.jpg

 

However these weren't standard bombs. The were encased in hardended steel and aerodynamically designed that they would fall at the speed of sound. 

When they hit the ground they would bury themselves undetground and detonate causing a small earthquake.

 

The Tallboy bomb is what the RAF dropped on the Tirpitz battleship which ended it very quickly.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Blitzkrieguk said:

 

 

They were highly special bombs. They came in two sizes. Tallboy (12000 lb) and Grandslam (22000 lb) to put that into perspective

10242003lg.jpg

 

However these weren't standard bombs. The were encased in hardended steel and aerodynamically designed that they would fall at the speed of sound. 

When they hit the ground they would bury themselves undetground and detonate causing a small earthquake.

 

The Tallboy bomb is what the RAF dropped on the Tirpitz battleship which ended it very quickly.

ooo neat, I wonder however what purpose they would serve to the game. Or even does the game even support that sort of mechanic

  • Upvote 1
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, R6ckStar said:

ooo neat, I wonder however what purpose they would serve to the game. Or even does the game even support that sort of mechanic

 

The game most likely would just make them have a really big bang unless they sort out a seperate mechanic.

 

Edited by Blitzkrieguk
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Senior Forum Moderator

The TU-4 could carry a FAB 6000 bomb. This bomb is missing right now in the list. (Not in game yet)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Technical Moderator
On 7/15/2017 at 4:22 AM, BlueBeta said:

The TU-4 could carry a FAB 6000 bomb. This bomb is missing right now in the list. (Not in game yet)

 

I found nothing on FAB-6000.  Did find a FAB-9000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

is there any practical use of FAB 5000? I've been told that when dropped on (small) AF such as in Berlin the blast wave would wipe out most of AAAs as well. Yet I've never seen it put to use like that. Are there any ground targets in the game that would be best taken out by 5K bomb blast wave?

Lower yield Cookie for instance cannot take out even AAs sitting right next to Bastogne right base.

so what's the best use of those large kaboomers?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Technical Moderator
On 8/9/2017 at 7:37 AM, StratosBear said:

is there any practical use of FAB 5000? I've been told that when dropped on (small) AF such as in Berlin the blast wave would wipe out most of AAAs as well. Yet I've never seen it put to use like that. Are there any ground targets in the game that would be best taken out by 5K bomb blast wave?

Lower yield Cookie for instance cannot take out even AAs sitting right next to Bastogne right base.

so what's the best use of those large kaboomers?

 

Much power, great destruction, big win. Yes.

 

Recent YT video (Thunder Show?) shows Pe-8 taking out 4, then next time 5 kills, in cap circle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

not biggest bomb, but upon OPs request from another thread il bring up that M117 750 Lbs are missing for the F86F25/F2 sabre of use and also F30 ( which is in the Japanese Tree)

 

 

the M117 Is currently in War thunder Available For the Vatour bombers. So its a matter of Copy and Paste at this point vs designing them from Scratch.

 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...
On 25/06/2017 at 18:50, Blitzkrieguk said:

Where the hell are the Earthquake bombs? Gaijin said they would do them but that was about 3+ years ago you utter let downs.

I don't think they'll be added. After all most of them were carried by special modified aircraft, so they'll have to make a new plane for each of these bombs. The fab 5000 and the sc 1800 could be carried by regular versions of bombers, earthquake bombs couldn't

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2020 at 13:48, METTATON6662 said:

I don't think they'll be added. After all most of them were carried by special modified aircraft, so they'll have to make a new plane for each of these bombs. The fab 5000 and the sc 1800 could be carried by regular versions of bombers, earthquake bombs couldn't

 

 

Tallboys required no modification what so ever. The grandslam on the other hand did. 

  • Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Senior Technical Moderator

Tallboys don't fit on a default Lancaster AFAIK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/01/2021 at 23:09, Rapitor said:

Tallboys don't fit on a default Lancaster AFAIK

 

p_tallboy5.jpg

 

Seems to fit. Requires no real modification to the aircraft, apart from just to keep it held in the bay. We dropped around 850 of them compared to the 41 grandslams. When the Lancaster could only drop 1 at a time, it would seem to suggest this could be done far more readily than the Grandslam, which required all the guns to be stripped and excess weight to be removed from a Mk I which were specially done to carry Grandslams, and then have them slung under the Lancaster. 

 

lancaster_modified.jpg

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Senior Technical Moderator

Because a simple picture totally allow to evaluate the impact on the cell, the shackles, the bomb bay doors etc.

I am sure that these chains on the shackles are default equipment.

 

The number of drop is not only a function of how convenient it is to install it, but also a matter of production capabilities, target assignment etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 13/01/2021 at 17:06, Rapitor said:

Because a simple picture totally allow to evaluate the impact on the cell, the shackles, the bomb bay doors etc.

I am sure that these chains on the shackles are default equipment.

 

The number of drop is not only a function of how convenient it is to install it, but also a matter of production capabilities, target assignment etc.

 

Because an aircraft fit to drop 14,000lb's of payload would suddenly struggle to drop a 12,000lb bomb. It wouldn't require much of a modification if at all. Thus it's not exactly a reason to exclude it from the current Mk.I Lancasters. The Grandslam on the other hand required specially modified Lancasters.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 13/01/2021 at 17:06, Rapitor said:

Because a simple picture totally allow to evaluate the impact on the cell, the shackles, the bomb bay doors etc.

I am sure that these chains on the shackles are default equipment.

 

The number of drop is not only a function of how convenient it is to install it, but also a matter of production capabilities, target assignment etc.


Seems somewhat pedantic to me, considering the Wellingtons in game for example can mount the 4000lb Cookie but have to remove the bomb bay doors entirely, as does the Pe-8 with the 5000kg bomb. The Lancaster having a similar setup for the Tallboy should really be allowed for the same reasons imo.

medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Blitzkrieguk said:

 

Because an aircraft fit to drop 14,000lb's of payload would suddenly struggle to drop a 12,000lb bomb. It wouldn't require much of a modification if at all. Thus it's not exactly a reason to exclude it from the current Mk.I Lancasters. The Grandslam on the other hand required specially modified Lancasters.

There's more to payload than just saying an aircraft capable of carrying 14000lb can carry a single load of 12000lb. Depends on how the weight is distributed, as center-of-gravity (CG) is a big factor in aircraft (simply said, aircraft are basically see-saws, put too much weight on one side, and it won't be able to correct a nose-up or -down movement).

So, if the single payload has the weight concentrated in the wrong spot, it doesn't matter how heavy it is, could be 1400lb so 10x less than max payload, but if it is all the way in the tail, the aircraft would still not able to fly.

And then the actual modifications required, maybe the payload itself is still within CG limits, but the modifications required to hold it in place are impossible to install in the existing structure at the right spots, overloading the aircraft, causing an out-of-CG condition, and/or have too much of an aerodynamic impact.

 

Best regards,

Phil

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Target1331 said:

There's more to payload than just saying an aircraft capable of carrying 14000lb can carry a single load of 12000lb. Depends on how the weight is distributed, as center-of-gravity (CG) is a big factor in aircraft (simply said, aircraft are basically see-saws, put too much weight on one side, and it won't be able to correct a nose-up or -down movement).

So, if the single payload has the weight concentrated in the wrong spot, it doesn't matter how heavy it is, could be 1400lb so 10x less than max payload, but if it is all the way in the tail, the aircraft would still not able to fly.

And then the actual modifications required, maybe the payload itself is still within CG limits, but the modifications required to hold it in place are impossible to install in the existing structure at the right spots, overloading the aircraft, causing an out-of-CG condition, and/or have too much of an aerodynamic impact.

 

Best regards,

Phil

 

Mate, after reading about earthquake bombs and lancasters through my books and other sources. There wasn't mentions of heavy or really special modifications to make a Tallboy sit inside a Lancaster or causing any issues. They sit dead centre so it's not suddenly going to cause a major change to its centre of gravity. 

 

Anyway, the dev's aren't going to add it anyway. Which they stated about 6 years ago they would. But won't happen.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one thing people dont seem to realise, the tallboy would not be the best choice for heavy british bombs

 

I rather want to see the 12000lbs HC bomb:

 

Lancaster-05-px800.jpg.e490ef361fe2571b273f2ea0643cbb78.jpg

 

its pretty much 3 4000lbs cookies welded together and it fits in any normal lancaster

 

 

there is also the 8000lbs version:

7XW1CO4eGswFJKdMqSzzUWmZfrx6SvsymcR2VVaa

chargement-en-bombes-de-l-avro-l-620x317

^^8000lbs bomb about to be loaded into your box standart lancaster

 

 

 

This article here has some good info

according to it a normal lancaster could carry the 8000lbs bombs or 12000lbs Tallboys without modifications, and the 12000lbs HC Bloclbuster bombs needed the bomb doors removed.

https://masterbombercraig.wordpress.com/avro-lancaster-bomber/bomb-loads/

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

Every country should have access to their giant demo bombs (the 12000 lbs hc for bits, the 11000 lbs pumpkin for the yanks, etc.). Not just the Russians.

 

I think it would go a long way to revitalizing heavy bomber use, at least in ground rb.

  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...