Supermarine Swift F.1 & Supermarine Swift F.2 - British Top Tier Jet Fighters! (Updated with Aircraft Manual)

Supermarine Swift F.1 and Supermarine Swift F.2  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want these planes added to the game?

• Yes, Britain has only 1 top tier (Hunter) so it needs more top tier jets
    • No (explain why)
    • Maybe
    • Other
  2. 2. If they were to be added to the game, which BR should they be at?

3. 3. Where should the Swift F.1 and F.2 be placed?

• Before the Hunter in the Hawker line
    • At the end of the Spitfire line
    • Other

I don't think this plane would be necessary to the game. The Soviet B-17 and American N1K should take up priority from the devs.

medal medal

1 hour ago, Borotovas said:

I don't think this plane would be necessary to the game. The Soviet B-17 and American N1K should take up priority from the devs.

Are you a poe?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 7/31/2017 at 4:13 PM, HighDude said:

Support +1. But the swift should have a rival... the Su-7 

The su-7 would be a great rival.

Su-7 has 2,150 km/h top speed and a 160 m/s climbrate

An Su-7 without ground ordinance would club all jets in-game, seeing as its 1,000 km/h faster than anything in-game currently.

medal medal

8 hours ago, Borotovas said:

yeah borotovas i agree with you many times, but this ain't one of them.

the LAST thing the soviets need is ANOTHER gunshipping 4-prop bomber (which could just be trasplanted from existing model anyway). and if gaijin wanted to give the US (which is already stacked at tier 4) the Shiden, they would just transplant it from the existing model.

and a stopgap between the De Havilands and the easiest top tier 9.0 transsonic jet to do good in is a much more realistic need.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

11 hours ago, Borotovas said:

Nothing is necessary anymore. The game has been fully released and now they're adding content to make players happy.

And I'm sure captured planes are no longer choices for premiums, many players got annoyed of them.

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, MustangIsBoss said:

This would be awesome to have at an 8.7 or 9.0 BR! :DD

Why though, it should be the same BR as the Hunter

medal

21 hours ago, Capt_Palmtree said:

Why though, it should be the same BR as the Hunter

Because of its performance I guess. 32 m/s climb rate and 1,062 kph top speed are not very impressive, but everything else is good. Energy retention and dive speed are going to be one of the factors that will make the plane great if Gaijin decides to add it (with the attention it's getting, I think it's not far from getting approved by Gaijin :D)

51 minutes ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

Because of its performance I guess. 32 m/s climb rate and 1,062 kph top speed are not very impressive, but everything else is good. Energy retention and dive speed are going to be one of the factors that will make the plane great if Gaijin decides to add it (with the attention it's getting, I think it's not far from getting approved by Gaijin :D)

It is still equal with the Hunter

medal

18 hours ago, Capt_Palmtree said:

It is still equal with the Hunter

Not quite. It would: be lighter, it would roll better, dive but not as good, have better acceleration at low to medium speeds (a bit better than the MiG-15bis' if I'm correct) and compresses more. Energy retention; I'm not quite how it would compare to the Hunter's. Perhaps just because it carried ADENs in real life made you think it's equal to the Hunter :P

Nope they were designed around the same time and the RAF ditched this for the Hunter and the FAA didn't want it because the Scimitar which I  think would be even better than this for the next addition

medal

23 hours ago, Capt_Palmtree said:

Nope they were designed around the same time and the RAF ditched this for the Hunter and the FAA didn't want it because the Scimitar which I  think would be even better than this for the next addition

MiG-15 and F-86 were designed at the same time but they're not the same. The Swift F.1 will not perform like the Hunter if it comes to the game.

• Thanks 1

On 24/09/2017 at 5:37 PM, Capt_Palmtree said:

Swift is older, first prototype was flying in 1949 according to the flight test documents which I've got (search for AVIA 18-1468 in the National Archives), the Swift had issues with parts of the engine which didn't effect the Hunter (was part of the fan blades or something along those lines if I recall haven't read bout it in years) and the F.2 just liked to try flying upside down, it also had issues at high altitude where the Hunter preformed well, however at lower altitude the Swift was much more comfortable, also has a larger fuel capacity which when given the same amount of fuel as the Hunter meant it had better acceleration.

In short, at high Alt the Hunter wins all, at low alt the Swift is quite able.

Also the Swift was also the first swept winged aircraft to land on a carrier so the Navy were interested in it, it isn't comparable to the Scimitar since that came later, once the FR.5 came around with added reheat it was a fairly good low level recon fighter. Swift was also able to carry external payload options (have the pictures for that too) of about 8x RPs + 2x 1,000lb bombs which the current Hunter lacks.

BRs would be 8.7 for the Swift F.1 and 9.0 for the F.2

Swift FR.5 and F.7 would be ideal for tier six if we were allowed reheat.

Also the cockpit is fairly nice inside as well, managed to sit inside a section of it when I was heavily researching the aircraft when it was first suggested.

Swift Specific Sources are:

Spoiler
Supermarine Fighter Aircraft by Victor F Bingham
Postwar Military Aircraft: 7 Supermarine Attacker, Swift and Scimitar by Philip Birtles
Swift Justice by Nigel Walpole

AVIA 18-1468 A&AEE Flight Test Data for the Swift Aircraft
AP.4348A & B - Pilot's Notes Swift F.1 + F.2
AP.4348E - Pilot's Notes Swift FR.5
AP.4348G - Pilot's Notes Swift F.7

CP.458 Low Speed Measurements of the Ground Effect on a 1/5th Scale Model of the Swift
R&M 3078 Low-Speed-Tunnel Model Tests on the Flow Structure Behind a Delta-Wing Aircraft and a 40 deg Swept-Wing Aircraft at High Incidences (aka the Swift)

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

Like this?

Image result for swift f mk 7

That would be the F.7, which tested Air to Air Missiles (2x Fireflash to be exact), what I mean was this one, though that is 16x RPs rather than the eight I thought it was, always better with more rockets, and was able to carry 2x 1,000lb bombs as well, some of the test documents I have were testing using flaps during use of rockets and was described as a steady platform to do so.

swiftrockets.JPG

medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, JimSan said:

That would be the F.7, which tested Air to Air Missiles (2x Fireflash to be exact),

3 minutes ago, JimSan said:

what I mean was this one, though that is 16x RPs rather than the eight I thought it was, always better with more rockets, and was able to carry 2x 1,000lb bombs as well, some of the test documents I have were testing using flaps during use of rockets and was described as a steady platform to do so.

swiftrockets.JPG

I know it's the F.7 :) and alright

• 2 weeks later...