Dassault MD.454 Mystère IVA   

277 members have voted

1. 1. Should this aircraft be added to the game?

• Yes! An excellent addition for France's tier 5!
    • No (explain why)
    • Other
  2. 2. Which BR of these should it be placed at?

• Other
  3. 3. Where should the Dassault MD.454 Mystère IVA be placed?

• After the Barougan
    • After the MD.452 Mystere II
    • Other

Hi! Today I want to suggestion the ultimate Mystere and French jet fighter, the Dassault Mystere IVA! :D 

Related image

Introduction to the jet, design and development:

Spoiler

The Dassault MD.454 Mystère IV was a 1950s French fighter-bomber aircraft, the first transonic aircraft to enter service with the French Air Force. The Mystère IV was an evolutionary development of the Mystère II aircraft. Although bearing an external resemblance to the earlier aircraft, the Mystère IV was in fact a new design with aerodynamic improvements for supersonic flight. The prototype first flew on 28 September 1952, and the aircraft entered service in April 1953. The first 50 Mystere IVA production aircraft were powered by British Rolls-Royce Tay turbojets, while the remainder had the French-built Hispano-Suiza Verdon 350 version of that engine.

It was essentially a new design, a "clean sheet" rethinking of the Mystere II and not just a modification of it. The first prototype was flown in September 1952; it was powered by a Hispano-built Rolls Royce Tay 250 turbojet, as were the early Mystere IIA prototypes.

While the Mystere IV also featured the twin 30-millimeter DEFA cannon adopted for the Mystere II, the Mystere IV had a new and more robust oval-section fuselage, a thinner wing with greater sweep, and new tail surfaces. The result resembled the Mystere IIC in a general way but had cleaner lines, more in the class of the US F-86 Sabre.

The Mystere IVA had four stores pylons, with a total load capacity of 900 kilograms (2,000 pounds). In typical flight configurations two of the pylons were fitted with drop tanks, while two others carried bombs or Matra 68-millimeter unguided rocket packs. As with many early jet aircraft, the Mystere IVA's range without drop tanks was pathetic.

The Mystere IVA served for a time as the mount for the Patrouille de France. It remained in first-line service with the AA until the early 1960s, when it was replaced by the Mach 2 Dassault Mirage IIIC delta-winged fighter. The Mystere IVA remained in service in the ground-attack role until 1975, when replaced by the SEPECAT Jaguar, and as an operational trainer until 1980, when it was replaced by the Dassault-Dornier Alpha Jet.

Image result for dassault mystere iv

History:

Spoiler

On August 2, 1951, the Corporation secured a contract for the production and provision of an MD 452 Mystère IV derived from the Mystère II capable of reaching Mach 1 in a dive, although production was not envisaged. A new wing was designed. Compared to the Mystère II, it had a biconvex profile with a greater sweepback (38° as against 30°) and lower relative thickness ratio (7,5 % as against 9 %). The narrower fuselage was circular in section in the fore and aft, with a wide-base pear-shaped central body.

The Mystère IV 01 was equipped with a centrifugal Rolls Royce Tay engine, this being more powerful and more reliable than the axial Atar engine which the Air Force preferred but had still not completed its development. Later on, the remainder of the production aircraft ended up with Hispano-Suiza Verdon 350 turbojet engines. The maiden flight of the Mystère IV 01, piloted by Kostia Rozanoff, took place at Melun-Villaroche, on Septembre 28, 1952. It lasted 25 minutes. Using the same jet engine as the Mystère II, it reached Mach 0.92 (against 0.87) flying horizontally. On its 34th flight, on 17 January, 1953, it broke the sound barrier nose down.

60 of the Verdon-powered Mystere IVAs that were ordered by the French ended up being sold to Israel, with the first batch of 24 arriving April 1956, just in time for Operation MUSKETEER in October. In the hands of skilled IAF pilots, they proved themselves more than a match for Egyptian MiG-15s. French Mystere IVAs also participated in the October 1956 war, operating from Israeli bases with an Israeli squadron number, and French pilots would also fly some of the Israeli Mystere IVAs during that war. The remaining 36 Mystere IVs in the batch were shipped to Israel after the 1956 war. Two squadrons of Mystere IVAs were still in Israeli service in the Six-Day War in 1967.

The Indian Air Force also bought 110 Verdon-powered Mystere IVAs; these were all new-production aircraft. First delivery was in 1957. The type was used in the close-support role during the 1965 Indo-Pakistan war, and like its ancestor, the Ouragan, proved reliable and able to absorb punishment.

Image result for dassault mystere iv

Specifications:

Spoiler

1.jpg

Characteristics (Dassault MD.454 Mystère IVA Verdon 350 version):

• Crew: 1
  • Length: 12.889 m
  • Wingspan: 11.115 m (36.466 feet)
  • Height: 4.460 m (14.63 feet)
  • Wing area: 32.06 m² (345.1 ft²)
  • Empty weight: 5,790 Kg (12,764 lbs)
  • Loaded weight: 8,510 kg (18,100 lbs
  • Max. takeoff weight: 9,500 kg (20,944 lb) 
  • Powerplant: 1 × Hispano-Suiza Verdon 350 turbojet, 34.34 kN (3,500 kgp, 7,716 lbf)

Aircraft Performance (without additional loadouts):

Maximum speed: 1,110 km/h (604 knots, 695 mph) at sea level

Min. climbing time to 12,000 m: 9 minutes 45 seconds

Maximum Mach speed: Mach 1

Range: 920 km (570 MI / 495 NMI)

Service ceiling: 15,000 m (49,200 ft) 

Rate of climb: 40 m/s (7,874 ft/min)

Weaponry:

• Guns: 2 × 30 mm DEFA 551 cannons with 150 rounds per gun (300 rds in total)
  • Other:

2 x Rocket Launcher "Honeycomb", 19 rockets per launcher

or - 2 x 500 lbs of bombs

or - 2 x 1000 lbs of bombs

or - 2 x Napalm Tanks

or - 2 x Rocket Launchers with 6 T10 rockets per launcher

8.jpg

Fuel Containment:

• 2 fuselage tanks (565 + 145) -  710L
  • 2 central plan tanks -  430L
  • 7 tanks in each wing -  990L
  • Total capacity -  2130L

10.jpg

This would be a great jet for the French! The top speed of 1,110 kph would make it one of the fastest jets in the game! It climbed as slow as 40 m/s in real life only however that could be a balancing factor given the fact that it would be very fast in the game, have high acceleration and the best guns in the game (the DEFA 30mm cannon is basically the French ADEN but better in terms of muzzle velocity and rate of fire).

Hopefully we'll see this jet soon!

References:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Mystère_IV

http://www.airvectors.net/avmyst.html

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=24954.0

https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/passion/aircraft/military-dassault-aircraft/mystere-iv/

http://www.avialogs.com/

Credits to:

@FlammeBleu for translating the aircraft manual

@TyphoonCro for providing the translated info

Edited by EpicBlitzkrieg87
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 27
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Yes obviously this should be added.

I actually suspect its extremely likely that Gajin is aware Mystere 2  doesnt cut it as a top tier jet, but simply did not introduce it because it wasnt ready for 1.73 ( the even admit the initial release tree is not the complete French tree anyhow)

Perhaps the Mystere 4A will be ready for 1.75

Edit:

also to add the Mystere 4A will certainly be a great  mulitpurpose plane, aka Figher/bomber.

4 HArdpoints ( up to 2,200 lbs of payload)  which will include SNEB rocket pods as well, Therefore better attack potential than the Mig17 and Sabre.

Edited by kev2go
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

if gajin doesnt nerf its max payload capbilties  (like they did with say the AD2),  and given that in war thunder we dont fly long ranges and dont need Drop tanks, we should be able to make use of all 4 hardpoints . taking into consideration its weight carry   we should get its max combos such as this:

8a9d874bc6ebccbd2d16c5e80f8dbffc.jpg

X 2 1000 lbs bombs with X2 SNEB

pSS5GNY.jpg

X4 500 lbs bombs

gYzdm0Y.jpg

X4 SNEB.

CBJX5ql.jpg

Edited by kev2go
  • Like 1

As a lover of French Aviation & the Mystère series, I am really deceived a mighty aircraft such as the Mystère IVA only received a Wikipedia copy-paste as suggestion.

I guess I support it anyway because it's one of my favorites aircraft... but you could have made something so much better :/ 

• Like 1
medal medal medal

28 minutes ago, Lord_Waka said:

I am really deceived a mighty aircraft such as the Mystère IVA only received a Wikipedia copy-paste as suggestion.

Wikipedia copy-pasted suggestion?

4 hours ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

These are? :D

4 minutes ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

Wikipedia copy-pasted suggestion?

These are? :D

You are in fact right. It's a Wikipedia - Air Vectors - Dassault Aviation copy-paste. My apologies to those two for forgetting them 

Explanation:

First line of your first paragraph:

"The Dassault MD.454 Mystère IV was a 1950s French fighter-bomber aircraft, the first transonic aircraft to enter service with the French Air Force."

First line of the English Wikipedia article:

"The Dassault MD.454 Mystère IV was a 1950s French fighter-bomber aircraft, the first transonic aircraft to enter service with the French Air Force.

Last line of your second paragraph:

"The Mystere IVA remained in service in the ground-attack role until 1975, when replaced by the SEPECAT Jaguar, and as an operational trainer until 1980, when it was replaced by the Dassault-Dornier Alpha Jet."

Last line of the wikipedia article: Oh, it's different ! 
Ah, yeah, it's because it's a copy-paste from http://www.airvectors.net/avmyst.html
"The Mystere IVA remained in service in the ground-attack role until 1975, when replaced by the SEPECAT Jaguar, and as an operational trainer until 1980, when it was replaced by the Dassault-Dornier Alpha Jet."

Your third paragraph = the two first paragraphs of the Dassault website https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/passion/aircraft/military-dassault-aircraft/mystere-iv/

Your fourth paragraph: from air vectors once again

Your specifications: Oh look, who's back ? It's wikipedia !

Edited by Lord_Waka
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, Lord_Waka said:

You are in fact right. It's a Wikipedia - Air Vectors - Dassault Aviation copy-paste. My apologies to those two for forgetting them 

Explanation:

Reveal hidden contents

First line of your first paragraph:

"The Dassault MD.454 Mystère IV was a 1950s French fighter-bomber aircraft, the first transonic aircraft to enter service with the French Air Force."

First line of the English Wikipedia article:

"The Dassault MD.454 Mystère IV was a 1950s French fighter-bomber aircraft, the first transonic aircraft to enter service with the French Air Force.

Last line of your second paragraph:

Last line of the wikipedia article: Oh, it's different ! 
Ah, yeah, it's because it's a copy-paste from http://www.airvectors.net/avmyst.html

Your third paragraph = the two first paragraphs of the Dassault website https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/passion/aircraft/military-dassault-aircraft/mystere-iv/

Your fourth paragraph: from air vectors once again

Your specifications: Oh look, who's back ? It's wikipedia !

Mate, arguing here is bad. The post is supposed to get a required amount of support to have higher chances of being implemented in the game, ranting and arguing on suggestions only makes it less possible for the suggestion to be moved into the more important sections of the suggestions subforum.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

Mate, arguing here is bad. The post is supposed to get a required amount of support to have higher chances of being implemented in the game, ranting and arguing on suggestions only makes it less possible for the suggestion to be moved into the more important sections of the suggestions subforum.

On a technical point of view this is not true. Suggestions are moved into the "Further Discussions' section because they have a lot of comments, and not because of their quality or the quality of discussions. 

I once saw a Leopard 2 suggestion in which basically 90% of peoples were saying "no, damn this"

Guess what ? So many people complained it ended up in further discussions.

Furthermore, my point is still correct.

Edited by Lord_Waka
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Since this suggestion is already made and I wanted to make one too...

Why not make contribution to it

So, here are some snippets translated from "Mystere IV Notice Technique Cellule" (Technical manual)

1.jpg

Before proceeding further, big thank you to @FlammeBleu for translating from French to English!

Mystere IV

Wingspan : 11,115 m

Total lenght : 12,889 m

Total height : 4,460 m

Empty Weight equipped (=without additional armemement, bombs, rocket launcher... ) : 5 790 Kg

Maximum fuel's quantity (without aditional tanks) : 2130 litre

Maximum fuel's quantity with aditional tanks : 3830 litre

8.jpg

Translation for text box in lower right:

Note: From the 151st plane
The warping tab is deleted (Trim tab deleted)
The horizontal empennage is monobloc (All moving tail)

The fuel is contained in
2 fuselage tanks (565 + 145) -  710L
2 central plan tanks -  430L
7 tanks in each wing -  990L

Total capacity -  2130L

As shown below

10.jpg

Performance (without aditional armement, bombs, rocket launcher.... ) :

Maximum speed (at 0m ) : 1 110 Km/h

Minimum time to climb at 12 000 m : 9 minutes 45 secondes

Mach Maxiumum : 1

Armemement :

Interceptor version  : 2 cannon of 30mm (150 shells per cannon)

It can also carry :

- 2 rocket launcher " honeycomb " (with 19 rockets per rocket launcher)

or - 2 bombs of 500lb

or - 2 bombs of 1000lb

or - 2 Napalm tanks

or - 2 Rocket launcher with 6 rockets T10 per rocket launcher

Also two engines were used:

Turbojet centrifugal type "Hispano-Suiza" TAY for planes 1 to 114 (but not 75th and 76th planes)

Turbojet centrifugal type "Hispano-Suiza" VERDON for planes +115th (75th and 76th planes are included)

And MTOW for each variant accordingly

9,500kg for Tay version

10,400kg for Verdon version

*Flight manual is via Avialogs.com*

Edited to put some more info on text box above

Edited by TyphoonCro
  • Like 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, TyphoonCro said:

Since this suggestion is already made and I wanted to make one too...

Why not make contribution to it

So, here are some snippets translated from "Mystere IV Notice Technique Cellule" (Technical manual)

1.jpg

Before proceeding further, big thank you to @FlammeBleu for translating from French to English!

Mystere IV

Wingspan : 11,115 m

Total lenght : 12,889 m

Total height : 4,460 m

Empty Weight equipped (=without additional armemement, bombs, rocket launcher... ) : 5 790 Kg

Maximum fuel's quantity (without aditional tanks) : 2130 litre

Maximum fuel's quantity with aditional tanks : 3830 litre

8.jpg

The fuel is contained in
2 fuselage tanks (565 + 145) -  710L
2 central plan tanks -  430L
7 tanks in each wing -  990L

Total capacity -  2130L

As shown below

10.jpg

Performance (without aditional armement, bombs, rocket launcher.... ) :

Maximum speed (at 0m ) : 1 110 Km/h

Minimum time to climb at 12 000 m : 9 minutes 45 secondes

Mach Maxiumum : 1

Armemement :

Interceptor version  : 2 cannon of 30mm (150 shells per cannon)

It can also carry :

- 2 rocket launcher " honeycomb " (with 19 rockets per rocket launcher)

or - 2 bombs of 500lb

or - 2 bombs of 1000lb

or - 2 Napalm tanks

or - 2 Rocket launcher with 6 rockets T10 per rocket launcher

Also two engines were used:

Turbojet centrifugal type "Hispano-Suiza" TAY for planes 1 to 114 (but not 75th and 76th planes)

Turbojet centrifugal type "Hispano-Suiza" VERDON for planes +115th (75th and 76th planes are included)

And MTOW for each variant accordingly

9,500kg for Tay version

10,400kg for Verdon version

*Flight manual is via Avialogs.com*

Thanks a lot for this. :D I'm a big jerk at French even though I learn it since 1st grade so I didn't bother opening up manuals from avialogs. May I edit my post with the info you provided?

Edited by EpicBlitzkrieg87
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

Thanks a lot for this. :D I'm a big jerk at French even though I learn it since 1st grade so I didn't bother opening up manuals from avialogs. May I edit my post with the info you provided?

Thank @FlammeBleu too, he translated it

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

If I can add any contribution to this; back in early September, I did an article about the Mystère IV basing myself on a number of French sources like this one: https://www.aviationsmilitaires.net/v2/base/view/Model/780.html

It is not the best, but I did put some work in it, if you are interested:

On the 2nd of August 1951, while the Mystère (By that time still I) was still in an early prototype stage, and the Ouragan in it's first year of production, the Service Technique de l'Aéronautique (STAé) ordered Dassault to work on a new aircraft design.

The objective was not to produce a new fighter to success the Mystère (II) and the Ouragan, but an experimental aircraft, for high-speed flight (It was supposed to reach Mach 1 in a dive - something the Mystère II ended up able to do, as showed during 1952). 

Dassault took the Mystère II as basis, but gave an huge amount of changes to the future aircraft; the wing, notably, was to have an higher angle (38° instead of 30), be thinner (7.5% instead of 9), and have a different profile; basically, it was an entirely new wing.

The fuselage was also vastly modified (As the Mystère II use a just lightly modified fuselage from the Ouragan, which was meant as an easy-to-produce and cheap machine, more than an International record breaker); while the round front and rear were kept, most of the shape of the middle was vastly changed, being more aerodynamic, and further from being a "perfect" rounded shape, unlike on the Ouragan/Mystère II fuselage.

The first aircraft was fitted with a Roll-Royce Tay 2,850kgp engine. It was put there to bring an improvement in comparison to the Ouragan's Nene, while the french-developped Atar 101 were not ready (and relatively unreliable), and the Hispano-Suiza Verdon 350 (Derivate of the Tay with 3,500kgp) was not ready eitheir.

The Mystère IV 01 flew for the first time on the 28th of September 1952. Surprisingly enough, the prototype of what would become a very successfull aircraft, was plagued with several issues, notably in terms of stability at great speed, and of directions. While it did not prevent the Mystère IV from reaching an impressive Mach 0.93 in level flight, it was still a very serious concern.

Those problems were solved by lenghtening the tail of 15cm (This was done two times, with the tail gaining a total of 30cm in lenght). Modified rudder and elevator was also fitted. The modified Mystère IV's performances were promising, and during November of 1952, after just 17 flight, the aircraft was test flown by two American pilots (France, as most European countries, had to count on US funds for it's aircraft industry by that time), Richard Boyd and the mighty Chuck Yeager; both had elogious comments on the new aircraft. 

Some modifications would still be undertaken on the Mirage IV; notably the addition of a very noticeable "crest" going from the cokpit to the tail, a new monobloc empennage, and the modification of the dihedral angle of the wings, from 0 to 1.30°.

The Mystère IV would meet it's originally intended goal on the 17th of January 1953, reaching Mach 1 during a dive. However, the story was not going to end there; Dassault's new aircraft had showed the necessary performances to be a good fighter, being vastly superior to the Mystère IIC and the Ouragan, and during March of 1953, 8 pre-series Mystère IVA would be ordered.

Those kept the Roll-Royce Tay engine (this would change on the serial-produced aircraft), but were to be fitted with two DEFA 551 30mm autocannons, four hardpoints (for a maximal load of 907kg), a new SNCASO E86 french-designed jump seat replacing the original Martin-Baker, and modifications on the canopy and it's fixation. The maximum speed of the IVA was of 1,120 Km/h, higher to the one of serial-produced Mystère IICs by 80 Km/h. The climb rate was also raised, with an average of 40 m/s. The wing surface was of 32 meters, and with a weight of 7,850kg in normal fighting conditions, the average wingload was of 245 Kg/m2.

However, this wing load would rise higher if the Mystère IV mounted it's relatively important Ordnance; As the previous IIC and the Ouragan, the Mystère IVA was not only an able fighter, but also an aircraft able of ground support missions. It could mount two 250kg or 500kg bombs, or four 70kg bombs; alternatively, 12 105mm rockets, or two drop tanks, could be mounted on the four hardpoints.

While those pre-series aircraft were still in the very early stages of their construction, on the 25th of April 1953, the USA ordered 225 Mystère IV to Dassault, for the French Air Force. The first 111 were to be fitted with the Roll-Royce Tay, while the 114 others would receive the Hispano-Suiza Verdon 350 engine.

But before the first pre-series or series aircraft would take the air for the first time, a new derivate of the Mystère IVB was trialed: the Mystère IVB. The first IVB prototype was fitted with the British Roll-Royce Avon RA-7 4,300kgp engine. The second received the same Avon engine, while the 3rd and 4th prototype were fitted with the French Atar 101F2 3,800kgp engine. Six pre-series Mystère IVB were then built, and fitted with Atar 101G2 4,400kgp engines, but the project was cancelled in favor of the Super-Mystère. However, the IVB still have the prestigious place of first French aircraft to fly over Mach 1 in level flight.

A night fighter variant of the Mystère IVB was also developped, designated Mystère IVN. It was given a search radar in a nose inspired from the F-86D Sabre; a single prototype was built, flying on the 19th of July 1954. It was used by the famous French woman pilot Jacqueline Auriol to beat the feminine speed record held by American pilot Jacqueline Cochran, with 1151 Km/h being reached by Auriol (Who was also the first woman to reach Mach 1 ever, during a flight on a Mystère II prototype)

The first Mystère IVA pre-series aircraft flew for the first time on the 5th of April 1954, quickly followed by the seven others, and the first serial-produced aircraft (The first series Mystère IVA took the air on the 29th of May 1954, just after the 4th pre-series aircraft, and the first Mystère IVA would be delivered to the Air Force on the very symbolic date of the 18th of June 1954)

Deliveries of the Mystère IVA to operationnal units started during May of 1955, and from this date onward to 1961, it replaced older aircraft types, such as the catastrophic Mystère IIC, the Ouragan, and the Mistral. The last examples were delivered to the Air Force during 1956.

Having very respectable performances, the Mystère IV brought some attention on itself, and was chosed by two users of the previous Puragan: Israel "converted" it's suspended order of 25 Mystère IIC to Mystère IVAs, and would order 34 more later on, with Dassault's fighter being used in the Suez Crisis (11 air victories, with just a single aircraft being lost, due to anti-aircraft fire) and in the Six Days war (in ground-attack roles against Syrian, Jordanian and Egyptian columns and positions), before being phased out during 1970.

India, after being very satisfied of it's 71 Ouragans, ordered 110 Mystère IVA (The last Mystère IVA to be built was an Indian aircraft, during 1958). Those were optimized for ground-attack roles, and used with success during the two Indo-Pakistani wars of 1965 of 1971, the aircraft being praised by Indian pilots for it's manoeuvrability and sturdiness. Those Indians Mystère IVs would be phased out of service during 1973.

The French Air Force used a total of 242 Mystère IVA. Their replacement started during the late 50s and early 60s, in the favor of the Super-Mystère B2, the F-100 Super Sabre, and, most importantly, the excellent Dassault Aviation Mirage III. 

However, the Mystère IVs would not go to waste, not at all. Being more performing than a Lockeed T-33 or a Fouga Magister, but still a step under supersonic aircrafts, the Mystère IVA was found to be a very good aircraft to accomodate cadets to higher-speed flight, before giving them a "real" modern fighter. The Mystère IV would remain in such a training role for more than two decades, only being phased out by the Dassault-Dornier Alpha Jet during 1982.

While it wasn't in operationnal service for too long, and did not see actual action in the French Air Force (but that definitly ain't the case for the IAF and the Indian Air Force), the Mystère IVA was an huge step forward in french aircraft developpement: It was the first postwar French fighter to actual be able to compete with foreign fighters of the same era. It also trained several generations of fighter pilots, who then got their hands on Mirage III, V, F1 and 2000s. 

It was not only a major aircraft in French history, but a very good one aswell, being liked by it's pilots for it's sturdiness, manoeuvability, and good flying characteristics that put the Mystère IIC to shame.

medal medal medal

27 minutes ago, Lord_Waka said:

If I can add any contribution to this; back in early September, I did an article about the Mystère IV basing myself on a number of French sources like this one: https://www.aviationsmilitaires.net/v2/base/view/Model/780.html

It is not the best, but I did put some work in it, if you are interested:

Reveal hidden contents

On the 2nd of August 1951, while the Mystère (By that time still I) was still in an early prototype stage, and the Ouragan in it's first year of production, the Service Technique de l'Aéronautique (STAé) ordered Dassault to work on a new aircraft design.

The objective was not to produce a new fighter to success the Mystère (II) and the Ouragan, but an experimental aircraft, for high-speed flight (It was supposed to reach Mach 1 in a dive - something the Mystère II ended up able to do, as showed during 1952). 

Dassault took the Mystère II as basis, but gave an huge amount of changes to the future aircraft; the wing, notably, was to have an higher angle (38° instead of 30), be thinner (7.5% instead of 9), and have a different profile; basically, it was an entirely new wing.

The fuselage was also vastly modified (As the Mystère II use a just lightly modified fuselage from the Ouragan, which was meant as an easy-to-produce and cheap machine, more than an International record breaker); while the round front and rear were kept, most of the shape of the middle was vastly changed, being more aerodynamic, and further from being a "perfect" rounded shape, unlike on the Ouragan/Mystère II fuselage.

The first aircraft was fitted with a Roll-Royce Tay 2,850kgp engine. It was put there to bring an improvement in comparison to the Ouragan's Nene, while the french-developped Atar 101 were not ready (and relatively unreliable), and the Hispano-Suiza Verdon 350 (Derivate of the Tay with 3,500kgp) was not ready eitheir.

The Mystère IV 01 flew for the first time on the 28th of September 1952. Surprisingly enough, the prototype of what would become a very successfull aircraft, was plagued with several issues, notably in terms of stability at great speed, and of directions. While it did not prevent the Mystère IV from reaching an impressive Mach 0.93 in level flight, it was still a very serious concern.

Those problems were solved by lenghtening the tail of 15cm (This was done two times, with the tail gaining a total of 30cm in lenght). Modified rudder and elevator was also fitted. The modified Mystère IV's performances were promising, and during November of 1952, after just 17 flight, the aircraft was test flown by two American pilots (France, as most European countries, had to count on US funds for it's aircraft industry by that time), Richard Boyd and the mighty Chuck Yeager; both had elogious comments on the new aircraft. 

Some modifications would still be undertaken on the Mirage IV; notably the addition of a very noticeable "crest" going from the cokpit to the tail, a new monobloc empennage, and the modification of the dihedral angle of the wings, from 0 to 1.30°.

The Mystère IV would meet it's originally intended goal on the 17th of January 1953, reaching Mach 1 during a dive. However, the story was not going to end there; Dassault's new aircraft had showed the necessary performances to be a good fighter, being vastly superior to the Mystère IIC and the Ouragan, and during March of 1953, 8 pre-series Mystère IVA would be ordered.

Those kept the Roll-Royce Tay engine (this would change on the serial-produced aircraft), but were to be fitted with two DEFA 551 30mm autocannons, four hardpoints (for a maximal load of 907kg), a new SNCASO E86 french-designed jump seat replacing the original Martin-Baker, and modifications on the canopy and it's fixation. The maximum speed of the IVA was of 1,120 Km/h, higher to the one of serial-produced Mystère IICs by 80 Km/h. The climb rate was also raised, with an average of 40 m/s. The wing surface was of 32 meters, and with a weight of 7,850kg in normal fighting conditions, the average wingload was of 245 Kg/m2.

However, this wing load would rise higher if the Mystère IV mounted it's relatively important Ordnance; As the previous IIC and the Ouragan, the Mystère IVA was not only an able fighter, but also an aircraft able of ground support missions. It could mount two 250kg or 500kg bombs, or four 70kg bombs; alternatively, 12 105mm rockets, or two drop tanks, could be mounted on the four hardpoints.

While those pre-series aircraft were still in the very early stages of their construction, on the 25th of April 1953, the USA ordered 225 Mystère IV to Dassault, for the French Air Force. The first 111 were to be fitted with the Roll-Royce Tay, while the 114 others would receive the Hispano-Suiza Verdon 350 engine.

But before the first pre-series or series aircraft would take the air for the first time, a new derivate of the Mystère IVB was trialed: the Mystère IVB. The first IVB prototype was fitted with the British Roll-Royce Avon RA-7 4,300kgp engine. The second received the same Avon engine, while the 3rd and 4th prototype were fitted with the French Atar 101F2 3,800kgp engine. Six pre-series Mystère IVB were then built, and fitted with Atar 101G2 4,400kgp engines, but the project was cancelled in favor of the Super-Mystère. However, the IVB still have the prestigious place of first French aircraft to fly over Mach 1 in level flight.

A night fighter variant of the Mystère IVB was also developped, designated Mystère IVN. It was given a search radar in a nose inspired from the F-86D Sabre; a single prototype was built, flying on the 19th of July 1954. It was used by the famous French woman pilot Jacqueline Auriol to beat the feminine speed record held by American pilot Jacqueline Cochran, with 1151 Km/h being reached by Auriol (Who was also the first woman to reach Mach 1 ever, during a flight on a Mystère II prototype)

The first Mystère IVA pre-series aircraft flew for the first time on the 5th of April 1954, quickly followed by the seven others, and the first serial-produced aircraft (The first series Mystère IVA took the air on the 29th of May 1954, just after the 4th pre-series aircraft, and the first Mystère IVA would be delivered to the Air Force on the very symbolic date of the 18th of June 1954)

Deliveries of the Mystère IVA to operationnal units started during May of 1955, and from this date onward to 1961, it replaced older aircraft types, such as the catastrophic Mystère IIC, the Ouragan, and the Mistral. The last examples were delivered to the Air Force during 1956.

Having very respectable performances, the Mystère IV brought some attention on itself, and was chosed by two users of the previous Puragan: Israel "converted" it's suspended order of 25 Mystère IIC to Mystère IVAs, and would order 34 more later on, with Dassault's fighter being used in the Suez Crisis (11 air victories, with just a single aircraft being lost, due to anti-aircraft fire) and in the Six Days war (in ground-attack roles against Syrian, Jordanian and Egyptian columns and positions), before being phased out during 1970.

India, after being very satisfied of it's 71 Ouragans, ordered 110 Mystère IVA (The last Mystère IVA to be built was an Indian aircraft, during 1958). Those were optimized for ground-attack roles, and used with success during the two Indo-Pakistani wars of 1965 of 1971, the aircraft being praised by Indian pilots for it's manoeuvrability and sturdiness. Those Indians Mystère IVs would be phased out of service during 1973.

The French Air Force used a total of 242 Mystère IVA. Their replacement started during the late 50s and early 60s, in the favor of the Super-Mystère B2, the F-100 Super Sabre, and, most importantly, the excellent Dassault Aviation Mirage III. 

However, the Mystère IVs would not go to waste, not at all. Being more performing than a Lockeed T-33 or a Fouga Magister, but still a step under supersonic aircrafts, the Mystère IVA was found to be a very good aircraft to accomodate cadets to higher-speed flight, before giving them a "real" modern fighter. The Mystère IV would remain in such a training role for more than two decades, only being phased out by the Dassault-Dornier Alpha Jet during 1982.

While it wasn't in operationnal service for too long, and did not see actual action in the French Air Force (but that definitly ain't the case for the IAF and the Indian Air Force), the Mystère IVA was an huge step forward in french aircraft developpement: It was the first postwar French fighter to actual be able to compete with foreign fighters of the same era. It also trained several generations of fighter pilots, who then got their hands on Mirage III, V, F1 and 2000s. 

It was not only a major aircraft in French history, but a very good one aswell, being liked by it's pilots for it's sturdiness, manoeuvability, and good flying characteristics that put the Mystère IIC to shame.

Want me to copy all of it and give you credit?

17 minutes ago, TyphoonCro said:

Yes, absolutely

Edited! Credits are given to you and Flamme at the end :)

27 minutes ago, TyphoonCro said:

Best version of plane to have in game would be one with Verdon and all moving tail, so machine 151+

that would certainly be desirable to have an All Flying tail like on the F86F and Hunter F1.