Jump to content

FJ4-B Fury , (US Naval Fighter-bomber)


kev2go
 Share

Would you like to see the Fj-4B added?  

46 members have voted

  1. 1. Would YOu like to See the Fj4B added as a Tier 5 jet?

    • Yes Please
      46
    • No ( explanation encouraged)
      0
  2. 2. What B.r Would you like to see this at?

    • 9.0
      30
    • 8.7
      16
    • I said No
      0


The FJ4B Fury - A suggestion for a Tier 5 Strike Fighter jet

 

 

 

 

FJ-4B-Fury.jpg

 

 

 

 

800px-FJ-4Bs_VA-63_in_flight_c1958.jpg

 

d66164941bfb998321ec18d68d87c621.jpg

 

The Cockpit

 

 

Instrument+Panel.jpg

 

 

 

General Characteristics
 
Crew: 1
Length: 36 ft 4 in (11.1 m)
Wingspan: 39 ft 1 in (11.9 m)
Height: 13 ft 11 in (4.2 m)
Wing area: 338.66 ft² (31.46 m²)
Empty weight: 13,210 lb (6,000 kg)
Loaded weight: 20,130 lb (9,200 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 23,700 lb (10,750 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × Wright J65-W-16A turbojet, 7,700 lbf (34 kN)
Performance
 
Maximum speed: 680 mph (1,090 km/h,Mach .89) at 35,000 ft (10,670 m)
Range: 2,020 mi (3,250 km) with 2× 200 gal (760 l) drop tanks and 2× AIM-9 missiles
Service ceiling: 46,800 ft (14,300 m)
Rate of climb: 7,660 ft/min (38.9 m/s)
Wing loading: 69.9 lb/ft² (341.7 kg/m²)
Thrust/weight: .325
Armament
 
Guns: Colt Mk12  2 × 20 mm (0.787 in) cannon ( for F4JB version)
Rockets: 6 × Rocket pods  ( Aero 6, 7, 9 & 10) , 5 inch HVAR
Missiles: 4 × AIM-9B Sidewinder missiles  ( can be excluded for obvious Balance Reasons) 
Bombs: 3,000 lbs (1,400 kg) of underwing ordnance along 6 hardpoints.  Available bomb types include 250, 500, 1000 & 2000 LBS General Purpose bombs. ( this Includes the newer generation M80 family of bombs)
 

 

 

 

Summary

 

The Fj4B fury is basically  Fj4 Fighter/Bomber further  optimized into even more  Strike  oriented Platform . It has a total of 6 hard-points ( where as Standard Fj4 had only has 4) \  The FJ4B also had LABS system added for toss bombing of Nuclear bombs ,as this was the new added  mission of this new variation.

 

( Not that LABS feature is relevant for war thunder, but worth mentioning) The earlier  Fj2/3 Fury  itself were pretty much a modified Sabre design for US navy usage aboard aircraft carriers.

 

In addition to General Purpose bombs, HVARs or  FFARs in ROcket Pods it  can also Carry the Agm12 bullop MCLOS guided Air to ground Missile. ( Not fire and forget. Think how the Sagger is controlled on BMP 1 or the HOT v1 on  the Racketpanzer 2 with keyboard commands) 

 

 

 

History:

 

 

The FJ-4 was the final version of the swept wing Fury fighters delivered to the Navy. While the FJ-2 and -3 had been developed directly from the Air Force's famous F-86 Sabre, the FJ-4 was a complete redesign that solved many problems that plagued those earlier models in their transition to Navy ops. Further, of the 374 FJ-4s built, 222 were FJ-4B fighter-attack versions. FJ-4Bs were the first to deploy overseas with the Bullpup missile, the first mass produced guided air-to-ground weapon.

 

Concurrent with design and delivery of the FJ-2 and -3 versions of the aircraft, North American began work on the ultimate version of the FJ Fury series, one that would overcome previous problems with carrier operations, provide for increased range over its predecessors, and increase the aircraft's capabilities as a fighter-bomber. While the FJ-2/3 were variations of the Air Force F-86, the FJ-4 was essentially a new airplane. In order to accommodate an increased internal fuel capacity, engineers redesigned the fuselage to make it shorter and deeper. Particularly notable was the aircraft's wing design, which featured high lift flaps, a controllable drooping leading edge, and mid-span control surfaces. This translated into not only better performance when operating from a carrier, but also allowed for better performance at higher speeds. The first FJ-4 flew in October 1954, and production delivery began in February 1955. The FJ-4B appeared shortly after as an attack version of the aircraft with underwing pylons that could carry conventional or tactical nuclear weapons and Bullpup air-to-ground missiles.


The last FJ4 was retired from service in December 1964, with 2,351 flight hours and is painted in the markings of one of the squadrons in which it flew, the Marine Fighter Squadron (VMF) 232 "Red Devils."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reference Material  ( Primary Sources) 

 

 Fj4B Standard Aircraft Characteristics Summary

 

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/usa/northamericanaviation/fjfury/fj-4b-standard-aircraft-characteristics.html

 

Fj4 & Fj4B flight handbooks

 

 

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/usa/northamericanaviation/fjfury/navaer-01-60jkd-501-flight-handbooks-fj-4-and-fj4-b.html

 

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/usa/northamericanaviation/fjfury/navaer-01-60jkd-501a-supplemental-flight-handbooks-fj-4-and-fj4-b.html

 

Other Sources (Secondary)

 

http://www.brianbryans.com/fury.htm

 

http://www.boeing.com/history/products/fj-fury.page

 

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/aircraft-exhibits/item/?item=fj-4_fury

 

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=1262

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by kev2go
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • kev2go changed the title to FJ4-B Fury , (tier 5 Naval Fighter-bomber/ Attacker)

all for it 100%. +1. this and the other FJ4s are the naval jet the US needs to continue the naval jet line, and this is what would cap it off.

 

...that said, if/when it comes gajiggles will probably almost certainly butcher it worse than they did with the poor F9F-8. but hey what would life be without its caveats?

Edited by Admiral_Aruon
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

all for it 100%. +1. this and the other FJ4s are the naval jet the US needs to continue the naval jet line, and this is what would cap it off.

 

...that said, if/when it comes gajiggles will probably almost certainly butcher it worse than they did with the poor F9F-8. but hey what would life be without its caveats?

 

Apart from lacking some ordinance options Its not butchered.  Either way, Its only lacking Aero 15  rcokets. Otherwise it has the Bomb types it supposed to have minus not being able to take advantage of all 6 hardpoints for bomb carry.

 

According to some Technical mods like Rapier its working as intended.

 

ITs simply not nearly as high performance jet as the Sabre, and Its larger wing surface makes it easier to rip wings at its top speed compared to the Sabre.

 

Even if Nerfed The Fj4 simply has a larger ammount of Rocket types for Rocket Pods,  Including HVAR, to larger carry capacity, and Its still a higher performance jet than the Cougar so even this ground attack version will still be usefull as a fighter in a Secondary Role.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kev2go said:

 

Apart from lacking some ordinance options Its not butchered.  Either way, Its only lacking Aero 15  rcokets. Otherwise it has the Bomb types it supposed to have minus not being able to take advantage of all 6 hardpoints for bomb carry.

 

According to some Technical mods like Rapier its working as intended.

 

ITs simply not nearly as high performance jet as the Sabre, and Its larger wing surface makes it easier to rip wings at its top speed compared to the Sabre.

 

Even if Nerfed The Fj4 simply has a larger ammount of Rocket types for Rocket Pods,  Including HVAR, to larger carry capacity, and Its still a higher performance jet than the Cougar so even this ground attack version will still be usefull as a fighter in a Secondary Role.

 

does it have its hydraulic all-flying tail yet? or the ability to get to even 1050pkh in a straight line? if not it ain't working as historically designed. the bug report was even accepted a year ago (or at least archived) https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/333170-id0049506-11102016-f9f-8-does-not-have-hydraulically-powered-stabilizerflying-tail/

 

 

 

but yeah the FJ4 will be a badass all-rounder.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

 

does it have its hydraulic all-flying tail yet? or the ability to get to even 1050pkh in a straight line? if not it ain't working as historically designed. the bug report was even accepted a year ago (or at least archived) https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/333170-id0049506-11102016-f9f-8-does-not-have-hydraulically-powered-stabilizerflying-tail/

 

 

 

but yeah the FJ4 will be a badass all-rounder.

 

 

Oh yea forget they gave it the F9F6 speed.

 

So in that case its butchered. Just like the F86F series top speed. which is only 1106 when manuala state 1111km/h and secondary sources say 1118 km./h is possible at sea level. Only difference is gajin shurggued that off because "sekrit Documents" say contrary to Primary source data like SAC and Manual :/

 

In any case that too much DIgression. Lets remain on the topic of the Fj4B

Edited by kev2go
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kev2go said:

 

 

Oh yea forget they gave it the F9F6 speed.

 

So in that case its butchered. Just like the F86F series top speed. which is only 1106 when manuala state 1111km/h and secondary sources say 1118 km./h is possible at sea level. Only difference is gajin shurggued that off because "sekrit Documents" say contrary to Primary source data like SAC and Manual :/

 

lol i had a witty response all ready then i looked through the bug reports (and google) and found the issues apparently were fixed or remedied  or clarified or whatever. wish i'd heard about it. never mind then :P

i'll just leave a quick laugh here:

Spoiler

flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg

 

 

but still i hope the FJ4s don't get the buggy as all hell treatment if they're ever added. the US naval jet line AKA F9Fs has never gotten very good treatment.

Edited by Admiral_Aruon
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

Edited by kev2go
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • kev2go changed the title to FJ4-B Fury , (US Naval Fighter-bomber/ Attack jet)
  • 4 weeks later...

id like to also point out that the bombs aren't ww2 box fin or retrofitted with comical fin bombs ( like Korean war jets)

 

 

according to manual FJ4 can employ Mk80 Family of bombs 

 

ZTcNyLr.png

Edited by kev2go
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • kev2go changed the title to FJ4-B Fury , (US Naval Fighter-bomber)

Good News!

 

Gajin has already implemented this plane. It was on the 1,.79 Dev server. ( placed after F3D1)

 

AfvMfSC.jpg

 

 

yVZDd43.jpg

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...