LT vz. 34, the First Proper Czech Tank

Milocat

LT vz. 34  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this vehicle in the game?

• Yes, as a regular vehicle.
    • Yes, as a premium vehicle.
    • Yes, as an event vehicle.
    • No thanks.
  2. 2. Where should this vehicle be placed?

• German tree with the LT vz. 35 and 38 models.
    • Minor Axis tree or other new tree (please explain in comments).
    • I said no.

The LT vz. 34 was the first proper Czech-built light tank, first designed in 1932 and entering service in 1934.  Czechoslovakia had a very meager tank fleet after the end of WWI, consisting of just seven Renault FT-17 light tanks.  While an advanced design when they were built, by the 1930s the Czechoslovakian military realized that improvements were needed for tanks to be effective in any modern war.  The LT vz. 34 was to be a new light tank that prioritized speed and mounted a more powerful main gun.  It was originally planned to be armed with a 47mm Vickers anti-tank cannon and two 7.92mm machine guns, but this was rejected by the army in favor of a lighter 37mm cannon.  Attempts to fit tankette chassis with fully-rotating turrets failed so the design team created a new chassis from scratch to support the turret design.  The vehicle had a crew of three, with a driver and a machine gunner seated side-by-side and the commander in the turret, where he also aimed, loaded, and fired the main gun and the coaxial machine gun.  Interestingly, the coaxial gun could be moved and fired somewhat independently of the main cannon.  It fitted a 62.5 horsepower four-cylinder engine with four forward gears and one reverse, which could propel the tank up to a maximum speed of 30 kmh.  The vehicle was lightly armored, with a maximum of 12-15mm of armor on the turret and front hull of the tank; this was deemed enough to block armor-piercing 7.92mm ammunition from penetrating.  More armor was not fitted as this would decrease speed.

A total of 51 examples, one prototype and 50 production vehicles, were built between 1934 and 1936.  After the completion of this production run it was decided that the tanks were too poorly armored and the type was modified, with a more powerful engine and better protection, to produce the LT vz. 35.  The LT vz. 34 tanks were acquired by Germany after the occupation of Czechoslovakia and given to the Slovak Republic, who operated 27 of the vehicles in an armored company until they acquired better vehicles, at which point the tanks were relegated to training duties.  After the Slovak National Uprising, some of these vehicles were recaptured by the Germans.  Some of these were dug in to provide static defenses while the remainder disappear from the record.  They were likely scrapped, although it is possible that they were used by the Germans in the desperate last days of the war.  One example was acquired by Hungary and used for training purposes.  

I think that the LT vz. 34 would be an excellent tier 1 tank addition to the game!

Specifications:  

Length:  4.6m

Width:  2.1m

Height:  2.22m

Weight:  7.5 tons

Engine:  Praga four-cylinder gasoline engine, 62.5 hp

Speed:  30 kmh (19 mph)

Crew:  3 (Driver, Gunner/Commander, Machine Gunner/Radio Operator)

Armor:  12-15mm on hull front and sides, 15mm turret front and sides, 10mm rear, 8mm roof and floor

Armament:  One 37mm KPUV vz. 34 (PaK 34(t)) cannon, one coaxial and one hull-mounted 7.92mm ZB vz. 35 machine guns (unknown rounds)

Number Built:  50 + 1 prototype

Spoiler

09.jpg

Tank_LT-34.gif

6f9866d5a6747dcefdb52c643d10c743.jpg

45200c68d8b329cd450ae10adc3ac94f.jpg

719bfe31c9281f70ae5b980471e73de1.jpg

Czech_tank_LT-34.jpg

refs-LTvz34-web.jpg

lt.34_c1.jpg

LT_vz-34.png

Sources:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LT_vz._34 

https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=981 

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/czech/Skoda_CKD_LT-Vz-34.php 

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2017/01/czechoslovakian-tank-building-first.html 

https://www.securitymagazin.cz/historie/lt-vz-34-ceskoslovensky-tank-ktery-nahradil-renault-ft17-cekal-ho-smutny-osud-1404062265.html 

http://aviarmor.net/tww2/tanks/czech/lt34.htm 

http://catainium.blogspot.com/2015/12/lt-vz-34-light-tank.html 

Edited by Milocat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Thanks 1

+1 were do you think it should go ? there own tree, international tree, or just a premium for the Russians like the Helicopter Mi-24D Czechoslovakian Air Force.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, onemax9000 said:

+1 were do you think it should go ? there own tree, international tree, or just a premium for the Russians like the Helicopter Mi-24D Czechoslovakian Air Force.

That's what I'm asking everyone else.  Czech vehicles are kind of hard to tell where to place them.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Milocat said:

That's what I'm asking everyone else.  Czech vehicles are kind of hard to tell where to place them.

I’ll guess premium for the Russians just like the helicopter.

• Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

so i hate regular used vehicles as premiums or event vehicles so definetly for the regular tree. so i since the slovak republic used it aswell i would suggest it for a minor axis tree or (even though i dislike this idea since gaijin even put the IAR81 as a premium in this tree) for the italians

edit: or bcz it was a german puppet state in the regular german tree

Edited by stefffff1871
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, stefffff1871 said:

so i hate regular used vehicles as premiums or event vehicles so definetly for the regular tree. so i since the slovak republic used it aswell i would suggest it for a minor axis tree or (even though i dislike this idea since gaijin even put the IAR81 as a premium in this tree) for the italians

edit: or bcz it was a german puppet state in the regular german tree

Honestly, even though it isn't the most accurate place to put it, I think it would be good to add it before the LT vz. 35 in the German tree, just to have all the Czech LT series tanks in the same place.  But of course I'm open to other ideas.

This would be a fine reserve for an "other" tree that would contain vehicles from non-main tree nations.

There are plenty enough existing or easily modifiable vehicles to fill such a tree, from this through WWII and post war eastern bloc developments, Israeli vehicles, and throw some export versions and add new Swedish and other scandinavian developments, some of the South American adaptations of US vehicles, etc.

Just saying.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it should be added as a russian premium/event vehicle. 

Germans didn't really used it and minor axis tree/czechoslovakian tree is very unlikely in near future.

+ czechoslovaks fought alongside russians in ww2 and we already have the premium heli in that tree.

• Confused 4
medal medal

• 1 month later...