15 cm sIG 33 L/11 auf Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. H

Milocat

15 cm sIG 33 L/11 auf Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. H   

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this vehicle in the game?

• Yes, as a regular vehicle.
    • Yes, as a premium vehicle.
    • Yes, as an event vehicle.
    • No thanks.

The 15 cm sIG 33 L/11 auf Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. H was a one-of-a-kind German self-propelled gun built in the field during the North African campaign.  This unique vehicle came about when the intact 150mm sIG 33 howitzer from a destroyed Sturmpanzer II self-propelled gun was mated to the chassis of a damaged Panzer III Ausf. H medium tank by Afrika Korps troops, resulting in an open-topped self-propelled howitzer resembling a slightly larger Sturmpanzer II.  The modification is sometimes referred to as the Sturmpanzer III or Bison III but was never officially called that during the war.  Like the Sturmpanzer II, ammunition was stowed in two parts behind the crew compartment.  The vehicle was capable of firing both high explosive shells and smoke shells.  According to some sources it also retained the Panzer III's hull-mounted machine gun for better defense against infantry.  

The sole example of this conversion was destroyed in the North African campaign, but fortunately plenty of photographs proving its existence have survived.  I think this unique vehicle would make for a perfect event prize!

This vehicle should not be confused with the Sturm-Infanteriegeschütz 33B, which is a different vehicle conversion that places a sIG 33 150mm howitzer on a Panzer III chassis.  Its suggestion can be found here:  

Spoiler

Specifications:  

Length:  5.41m

Width:  2.95m

Height:  2.44m

Weight:  20.3 tons

Engine:  Maybach HL120TRM 12-cylinder gasoline engine, 296 hp

Speed:  40 kmh (25 mph)

Crew:  5 (Driver, Gunner, Commander, Loader, Machine Gunner/Radio Operator)

Armor:  15-60mm

Armament:  One 150mm sIG 33 howitzer (unknown rounds, presumably similar to sturmpanzer II), one 7.92mm MG34 machine gun (unknown rounds)

Number Built:  1

Spoiler

15cm-sIG33-auf-fahrgestell-panzerkampfwa

05e060a354472c12817f7a283f655e84.jpg

15cmsIG33-L11_auf_Fahrgestell_Panzerkamp

1103671-13385-33-pristine.jpg

KPT72847-2T.jpg?1533738074

The vehicle under construction:  

Sources:  

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/15cm-sig-33-l11-auf-fahrgestell-panzerkampfwagen-iii-ausf-h-sf/ 

https://www.valka.cz/15-cm-s-I-G-33-auf-Fahrgestell-Pz-Kpfw-III-Sf-t8723 

https://books.google.com/books?id=DIIlDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT315&lpg=PT315&dq=15cm+sIG+33+L/11+auf+Fahrgestell+Panzerkampfwagen+III+Ausf.H+(Sf)&source=bl&ots=FwF6jqgdQi&sig=ACfU3U3MlrDtgXqBbCJAG-w7ihkFcjHIzA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwic6a7yhIviAhUkU98KHbY2BMw4ChDoATADegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=15cm sIG 33 L%2F11 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf.H (Sf)&f=false 

https://books.google.com/books?id=S42NDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT145&lpg=PT145&dq=15cm+sIG+33+L/11+auf+Fahrgestell+Panzerkampfwagen+III+Ausf.H+(Sf)&source=bl&ots=tf0Z2gGOEg&sig=ACfU3U2nfX5MfSft5xVwdCTGVwehJolX5w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwic6a7yhIviAhUkU98KHbY2BMw4ChDoATAAegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=15cm sIG 33 L%2F11 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf.H (Sf)&f=false 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator

Absolutely! +1

• Like 1

Thinking about this some more, this vehicle could also fire the same HEAT shells as the Sturmpanzer II in-game, but there's no evidence it was ever in fact equipped with them itself.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 01/06/2019 at 17:58, Ghostmaxi said:

Hey wait a sek IT CANT SHOOT FORWARD ONLY A BIT UP

According to my sources it actually can shoot directly ahead, I just couldn't find a photograph or artist's impression of the vehicle with the gun depressed that far.

23 minutes ago, Ghostmaxi said:

if it is the case , why did they burry the front in the ground?

It could be going over a hill, have fallen through a bit of soft ground, or been put there to improve its gun depression?

39 minutes ago, Ghostmaxi said:

no on the pictures is clearly visible that they made a hole for it

45 minutes ago, Milocat said:

or been put there to improve its gun depression?

oh

my bad

what is about these Ranks? why am i Sergeant?

Edited by Ghostmaxi
medal

1 hour ago, Ghostmaxi said:

oh

my bad

what is about these Ranks? why am i Sergeant?

Ah, it's based on the number of posts you make, your rank goes up.  After a certain point you can type a custom rank for yourself.

48 minutes ago, Ghostmaxi said:

So 

If

Make 

Many

Will

Get

My

Special

CyberGhost

Rank?

I'm hardly an expert, but I believe that's how it works.  :salute:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...