Grumman A-6E Intruder - Intruder packing a punch

TyphoonCro

Grumman A-6E Intruder  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this plane in game?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What BR should it be? (Keep in mind that it can carry gunpods along with missiles, however performance is not best)

• Higher? Lower? State in your post please
    • I voted no in first question

Hello everyone,

I wanted to write this suggestion for long time but never got around to it... However, finally having some more time, I decided to write suggestion for A-6E

A-6E did not have built in guns but it was able to carry gunpods, which I will explain in a bit, so lets get started.

(Mild disclaimer, I will not write everything, since some pages in manual give quite good description)

1280px-A-6E_Intruder_of_VA-75_at_NAS_Oce

A-6 Intruder at NAS Oceana

Description

1068px-Grumman_A-6E_Intruder_of_VA-52_in

Spoiler

79b85d67ae118ccfd14c013491beb57d.jpg

fbe7a24a12b05084cd7fb4347754712c.jpg

(Taken from "NATOPS Flight Manual for Navy Model A-6E Aircraft" NAVAIR 01-85ADF-1

- The A-6E Intruder, an improved version of the A-6A, is a two-place, twin-engine monoplane manufactured by the Grumman Aerospace Corporation, Bethpage, Long Island, New York. The aircraft is designed for true-all weather attack and can carry a payload of 8.5 tons. A wide variety of weapons can be delivered without crew ever having seen the ground or target. The aircraft can be refueled in-fllight and can also be used as a tanker. A single-point ground refueling capability shortens turnaround time and eases the normal fueling process. The main differences between the A-6E and A-6A are the installation in the A-6E of an improved computer that is faster and has greater memory capacity; a search radar with track capabilities; and an improved weapon release system.

b6ec60713161f359f7814893b811538f.jpg

d0fea78e69364245d1d19244bf133339.jpg

Cockpit

Spoiler

Standard A-6E

18c1add5fcf94ae96c89b73ca75b1f83.jpg

5b71441dacbcacf595732a2c3c39e2ee.jpg

A-6E TRAM

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Weapon systems

1280px-A-6E_VA-75_fires_Sidewinder_1989.

Spoiler

unknown.png

Now this is part that is important for A-6E, why? Because it can carry MK.4 gunpods

31e6a0c24bfb3a3d8ec9d39c2b369a88.jpg

0e0556e268ba73664b65092d75b7c144.jpg

MK.4 Gunpod is mentioned in Digital Display Unit Readout

Above in SAC, it is shown that A-6E can carry up to for AERO-7A bomb racks and MK.4 uses just that bomb rack in order to be carried on plane

(So theoretically, A-6E can carry up to 4 HIPEGs)

2f8589eb237d8f0a5544f877d625ba2d.jpg

b6174dae8f900e9dd7a81e0639bacde9.jpg

Important bit here is (I will qoute it):

GUNS

- The GUNS position allows for the simultaneous firing of the gun pods on the stations selected

Again, all that is needed for MK.4 HIPEGs to be put on plane, is that it needs to have AERO-7A bomb rack

6e371a8464ef371fad5cc07b887f5dac.jpg

Again, interesting bit about gun pods:

- The ACU allows the crew to control, arm and release various weapons, fire guns, rockets, and missiles, and to jettison weapons selectively or simultaneously. Bombs, rockets and missiles are released in either an automatic or manual mode of operation. Guns are only fired in manual mode.

I would also like to note that A-6E should NOT be able to carry AIM-9L, however it should be limited to AIM-9G or later to AIM-9H

As a sidenote I will put this photo in here

A2F-1_armament_NAN9-63.jpg

I would like to suggest armament option of having two MK.4 HIPEGs and two Sidewinders (HIPEGs on inner stations, stations 2 and 4; Sidewinders on outer stations, stations 1 and 5)

(Or MK.4 HIPEG on inner stations and any other available bomb/missile/rocket launcher type of armament on outer stations and/or fuselage station)

Moving on...

Specifications

fa7ea694b26bc581f03c9882328bea73.jpg

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

A-6E (TRAM) - 1979

fe824855ab4c42a9afbcf096ccc5fcd7.jpg

46db36d7e74f6464ee6d4f8eeed358ce.jpg

A-6E - 1971

I decided to put both, because A-6E (TRAM) mentiones AERO-7A bomb racks necessary for MK.4 HIPEG gunpods

Dimensions (taken from SAC)

Wing area - 528.9 sq. ft.  -  49.13 m^2

Span - 53ft  -  16.15 m

Length - 54ft 9in  -  16.68 m

Height - 16ft 2.04in  -  4.92 m

Empty weight - 25,980 lbs  -  11,784.32 kg

Combat weight (Hi-Lo-Lo-Hi) - 45,543 lbs  -  20,657.95 kg

Performance

unknown.png

Spoiler

Again, I will put both TRAM and standard variant

TRAM

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Standard A-6E

8645c98391f1c1c26eabd2d755652127.jpg

08471f747629b6d4d9d7a26aa1f1b412.jpg

00c8a775e3123a70e4b21826099a6958.jpg

Photographs

Spoiler

an-a-6e-intruder-is-parked-aboard-the-ai

A-6E Intruder and EA-6B Prowler parked on deck of USS America (CV-66)

three-us-navy-va-75-attack-squadron-seve

A-6E Intruders of VA-75 "Sunday Punchers" along with S-3 Viking

jo1-patrick-e-winter-an-a-6e-intruder-ai

A-6E Intruder at sunset

Sources:

- NATOPS Flight Manual for Navy Model A-6E Aircraft - NAVAIR 01-85ADF-1

- NATOPS Flight Manual for Navy Model A-6E TRAM/SWIP Aircraft - NAVAIR 01-85ADF-1

- Standard Aircraft Characteristics for Navy Model A-6E Aircraft - NAVAIR 00-110AA6-5, November 1971

- Standard Aircraft Characteristics for Grumman A-6 E (TRAM) Intruder - NAVAIR 00-110AA6-5, November 1979

Thank you for reading!

Edited by TyphoonCro
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

+1 would already fit with current top tiers.

Its a shame it doesnt have any internal guns but its a neat subsonic attack aircraft that packs a big punch.

Was a pretty advanced aircraft for its time. Probably the most potent Night attack capable aircaft until F/A18 Hornets entered USN service.

Also to the OP the cockpit image of the A6E doesnt match the one from the manual. What you posted was in fact proposed modernization for the E's that never came to fruition. A6E's didnt get Multipurpose  displays.

later A6E's, there was an addition of a Tv screen above the Radar scope for the Bombardier navigators position with the new model introduced in 1979 : The A6E TRAM, which introduced an onboard FLIR optical sensor for all weather targeting and designation of precision  ( laser) guided muntions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RanchSauce39 said:

+1 would already fit with current top tiers.

Its a shame it doesnt have any internal guns but its a neat subsonic attack aircraft that packs a big punch.

Was a pretty advanced aircraft for its time. Probably the most potent Night attack capable aircaft until F/A18 Hornets entered USN service.

Also to the OP the cockpit image of the A6E doesnt match the one from the manual. What you posted was in fact proposed modernization for the E's that never came to fruition. A6E's didnt get Multipurpose  displays.

later A6E's, there was an addition of a Tv screen above the Radar scope for the Bombardier navigators position with the new model introduced in 1979 : The A6E TRAM, which introduced an onboard FLIR optical sensor for all weather targeting and designation of precision  ( laser) guided muntions.

Hmm, very well, I will remove that cockpit image...

Also the reason I put A-6E (TRAM) was because SAC mentions AERO-7A racks, which can carry MK.4 HIPEG

(I wasn't sure if standard A-6E was able to carry AERO-7A, most probably it was)

And as I said, theoretically, it can carry up to four MK.4 gunpods

Edited by TyphoonCro

14 hours ago, TyphoonCro said:

Hmm, very well, I will remove that cockpit image...

Also the reason I put A-6E (TRAM) was because SAC mentions AERO-7A racks, which can carry MK.4 HIPEG

(I wasn't sure if standard A-6E was able to carry AERO-7A, most probably it was)

And as I said, theoretically, it can carry up to four MK.4 gunpods

dont get me wrong, would be interesting if there was also a TRAM variant  included for the added capabilities like the targeting sensor, and being able to self designate Laser guided munitions In fact id argue would be preferable, given the ever more expanding set of SPAA that have Radar and missiles.

Edit

Also found some manual images of the A6E TRAM cockpit from the manual

Edited by RanchSauce39

On 23/07/2019 at 00:57, RanchSauce39 said:

dont get me wrong, would be interesting if there was also a TRAM variant  included for the added capabilities like the targeting sensor, and being able to self designate Laser guided munitions In fact id argue would be preferable, given the ever more expanding set of SPAA that have Radar and missiles.

Edit

Also found some manual images of the A6E TRAM cockpit from the manual

Alright, I'll put them in

• 2 weeks later...

After reading a bit more through manual I did find more info for gunpods

15927-p402-large.jpg

Under "Tanks/Pods and Sensors"

MK.4 is listed which is very nice

15927-p547-large.jpg

MK.4 is also listed in this Drag Count table, however due to poor quality I wasn't able to use it

MK.4 is interesting gunpod which uses one cannon with two barrels, the MK.11 20mm cannon

Gunpod itself contains 750rds of ammunition and has rate of fire of 4200rds/minute (If my math is correct it would be 70rds/s)

Now in game, A-6E should be limited to two MK.4 gunpods since even then it would have quite a punch

I had it at 10.7 along side the A-10A & A-7E. All of these bring a devastating payload of conventional bombs, cluster bombs (needs to be added), air to ground missiles (all could use the AGM-65 Mavericks). Also CCIP (constant calculated impact point) for bombing, meaning you get a legit bomb reticule that makes them way more lethal then the current dive bombing fighters.

Plus all sorts of IR and Chaff dispensers.

Edited by CK_16
medal

On 12/08/2019 at 20:04, CK_16 said:

I had it at 10.7 along side the A-10A & A-7E. All of these bring a devastating payload of conventional bombs, cluster bombs (needs to be added), air to ground missiles (all could use the AGM-65 Mavericks). Also CCIP (constant calculated impact point) for bombing, meaning you get a legit bomb reticule that makes them way more lethal then the current dive bombing fighters.

AGM65's came later in A6 and A7 service life. IF added Gajin can just  say they are representing them at their initial service dates or something, thus making a valid historical  reason to not add them beyond " cuse balance"

Just how F9F cougars didnt get Aim9's from day 1 or how F86F's were only modded with aim9's a number of years after korea.

Edited by RanchSauce39

On 12/08/2019 at 22:04, CK_16 said:

Well, if you go by manual I used in main post, the one from May 1 1973, then you will see that there is no Maverick

15927-p332-large.jpg 15927-p333-large.jpg

Maverick is not listed here... Now I don't know what version Navy used and when but for now lets stick to this manual.. So no Mavericks for now

However, A-6E was able to carry guided bomb, the AGM-62 Walleye TV guided bomb

Edited by TyphoonCro

I mean the image with the missile firing I am pretty sure is an AGM-65. I recall seeing that one before.

image039.jpg

Edited by CK_16
medal

1 minute ago, CK_16 said:

I mean the image with the missile firing I am pretty sure is an AGM-65. I recall seeing that one before.

Yes, however if you notice that version is TRAM

Standard A-6E was not able to carry it

True, guess I meant I had the TRAM at 10.7 or so with the A-10 & A-7E later on that each one of them could bring a fairly lethal payload of guided and unguided options.

medal

• 1 month later...

With the F-4C and MiG-21 in the game this would be a great top-tier attack aircraft for the U.S. tree.  +1.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Just now, Milocat said:

With the F-4C and MiG-21 in the game this would be a great top-tier attack aircraft for the U.S. tree.  +1.

Indeed it would be

However, piece of weaponry I mentioned so many time in this topic, has been added to game on US H34 helicopter

h_34_05_1280h720_431ca02abc52bd460f84f24

The MK.4 gunpod with MK.11 20mm gun

• 2 months later...

After the Skyhawks, this is the next logical addition to the US Naval Attacker line (along with the A-7 Corsair II).  iirc the A-6 IS compatible with certain gunpods if that sort of thing is required.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

21 hours ago, Z3r0_ said:

iirc the A-6 IS compatible with certain gunpods

As I mentioned multiple times here...

Indeed it is, capable with up to 4 MK.4 gunpods because all four wing stations can have AERO-7A rack (rack required to mount MK.4 gunpod)

What I would like to see is A2A load out for A-6E, two Sidewinders (outer wing stations) with two gunpods (inner wing stations)

I'm not sure that this aircraft got AIM-9 in the first place, to bombing missions,... 

I mean this kind of aircraft were under A2A Main Role Aircraft protection, for main times missions. 

Eventually and to protect itself from enemy fighters, i could understand if this was mounted for "Refueling Mission" with 3 Tanks+ basket system, and 2 AIM-9. 

Or with heavy ordonnances Mk83/Mk84 Loadouts due to special needs to attack a rearline supply depot or airfield. 

But I'm not sure this was extensively used amongst A-6's

Is there any source relating on this Sidewinder use more correctly? 

Edited by Cpt_Bel_V
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

41 minutes ago, Cpt_Bel_V said:

There isnt better source than manual and SAC

SAC below

unknown.png

AIM-9D/G/H/L on stations 1,2,4,5

Edited by TyphoonCro

56 minutes ago, TyphoonCro said:

There isnt better source than manual and SAC

SAC below

unknown.png

AIM-9D/G/H/L on stations 1,2,4,5

Ok, that's the possible usage by pylons.

And what about historical ordonnances choices? :)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Cpt_Bel_V said:

Ok, that's the possible usage by pylons.

And what about historical ordonnances choices? :)

From what I know, gunpods were flown on A-6E, the MK.4s

But Sidewinders were more common appearance on Intruders 

A-6E_Intruder_of_VA-145_in_flight_c1992.

Usually inner stations were bombs or other guided missiles (like Harpoon) but outer stations would be Sidewinders

On 29/02/2020 at 14:52, Cpt_Bel_V said:

I'm not sure that this aircraft got AIM-9 in the first place, to bombing missions,... 

I mean this kind of aircraft were under A2A Main Role Aircraft protection, for main times missions. 

Eventually and to protect itself from enemy fighters, i could understand if this was mounted for "Refueling Mission" with 3 Tanks+ basket system, and 2 AIM-9. 

Or with heavy ordonnances Mk83/Mk84 Loadouts due to special needs to attack a rearline supply depot or airfield. 

But I'm not sure this was extensively used amongst A-6's

There's some pictures of them with Sidewinders, and they did carry them in combat

Spoiler

A-6E_Intruder_of_VA-145_in_flight_c1992.

5dee9e2b731d2006ba0e234b4e621267.jpg

medal