Why is the definitive version of the Stug iii G, the version with concrete add-on armour and saukopf mantlet still missing from the German tree?

Vincent_Witcher

Germany probably has the widest selection of Tank Destroyers of most nations with many StuG variants already in game. 

Whilst we dont rule out the possibility future additions, this is hardly a "needed" addition to the German tree. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Smin1080p said:

Germany probably has the widest selection of Tank Destroyers of most nations with many StuG variants already in game. 

Whilst we dont rule out the possibility future additions, this is hardly a "needed" addition to the German tree. 

Your bold assertion that the definitive and best version of the Stug iii is simply "not needed" in the German tech tree is just your opinion, and I think most people would disagree with you on that considering the importance of the Stug iii in the German war effort and the numbers built of all types.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 11
medal medal medal

4 minutes ago, Crumpets_and_tea said:

Your bold assertion that the definitive and best version of the Stug iii is simply "not needed" in the German tech tree is just your opinion, and I think most people would disagree with you on that considering the importance of the Stug iii in the German war effort and the numbers built of all types.

Please allow me to clarify.

I am not giving you my personal opinion. My statement is based on the feedback and suggestions we receive which shows that there is next to no demand or requests for this tank. Its entirely fine if people disagree with this as they are more than welcome to create a full suggestion topic and request the vehicle to be added. If it gains enough support, it will be passed to the developers for consideration. 

Again, at no point did I deny this vehicle may ever come to War Thunder. Simply that as of right now, there is no community demand for this vehicle and no current plans for it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't know what to say about another modification of Stug III, maybe the Finnish variant would make it to the game as premium, but I think Stug IV was even more requested and it ain't in the game either.

And i mean this Finnish Stug III from Bovington which was requested a lot too:

http://tank-photographs.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/Stug-III-40-ausf-g-tank-destroyer.html

Edited by r3dSk0rp10n
  • Like 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

You can't make enough money on a tank a person could actually grind in a weekend. They would rather focus on high tier helis that are not achievable without paying or high tier tanks that require tons of grinding so you end up just paying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

43 minutes ago, Crumpets_and_tea said:

So the most beautiful and best protected version of the Stug iii G is being kept out of the game because there is too little interest on a forum seen by a limited number of WT players? What a shame. 

concrete was meaningless as armour in such minuscule amounts - arguably it actually degrades the performance of the steel behind it because it might prevent a round from ricocheting!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, Josephs_Piano said:

concrete was meaningless as armour in such minuscule amounts - arguably it actually degrades the performance of the steel behind it because it might prevent a round from ricocheting!

Just going to go ahead and ask for some sources on that statement, surely if adding concrete actually degraded armour performance the Germans would have stopped using it.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

6 minutes ago, Crumpets_and_tea said:

Just going to go ahead and ask for some sources on that statement, surely if adding concrete actually degraded armour performance the Germans would have stopped using it.

It's not like they did any actual performance studies -  which is why I used the term "might" - however the possibility is mentioned in secondary sources for all types of applique armor- 

eg this is typical: https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2016/11/15/m4-sherman-blunder-or-wonder-weapon/

General George S. Patton Jr. forbade the usage of sandbags and instead ordered that the Shermans have extra armor welded to the front hulls taken from destroyed American and German vehicles. He had been advised by his technical experts that the sandbags actually increased the Shermans’ vulnerability and also that their chasses suffered from the added weight.

and simlarly http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2-usa-improvised-armor-on-m4-shermans-in-the-pto/

Was It Worth It?

Though it does add an extra layer for an armor-piercing shot to penetrate, the use of appliqué armor, especially added metal, was found to actually be detrimental to the protection of the tank. When a shell strikes a spare track link, for instance, the nature of the shape means that it could actually help a shell to penetrate. A shell coming in on a horizontal trajectory at an angled plate would usually bounce off, depending on armor thickness of course. With a track link on top of the plate, the shell could strike it, and then turn down and punch through the plate which is now flat to the projectile. There is evidence that in some cases the added layer did work and indeed protected the crew where, without it, they would have been killed or wounded

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, Josephs_Piano said:

It's not like they did any actual performance studies -  which is why I used the term "might" - however the possibility is mentioned in secondary sources for all types of applique armor- 

eg this is typical: https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2016/11/15/m4-sherman-blunder-or-wonder-weapon/

and simlarly http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2-usa-improvised-armor-on-m4-shermans-in-the-pto/

Consider the Eastern Front to be the ultimate "performance study" of the benefits of adding concrete to the frontal armour of the Stug iii, look for your sources there and not from American experiences with using sandbags stacked on Sherman tanks. 

medal medal medal

4 hours ago, PrussianOwl said:

StuG III 0-series when?

We have this already...Stug III A or are you trolling?

6 hours ago, Smin1080p said:

this is hardly a "needed" addition to the German tree

Instead of depicting a standard common mainstream model produced, we instead get an early April-May 1943 model with bolted armor, no Nebelwurfgerät, no Nahverteidigungswaffe, no cupola shot deflector, no Saukopfblende mantlet, no hatch MG, no Rundumfeuer MG, no co-axial MG, no late features of any kind almost as if gaijin is trying to minimize the combat power/protection/effectiveness of the Stug III G as much as possible. They pulled the same thing on the Jagdpanzer IV Ausf. F which for some reason is a very early Feb 1944 model with prototype features on its roof and 60 mm/30 mm of frontal/side armor instead of the expected 80 mm/40 mm that was found on the vast majority of produced Jagdpanzer IV Ausf. F......

Edited by Chomusuke1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 1

• Technical Moderator

Would definitely be cool to see more StuG's, I am all for it, though they are probably not one of Gaijin's highest priorities, if anything, but one can dream!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Smin1080p said:

Another city map like "cargo port " was needed ? 

I'm just curious.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Crumpets_and_tea said:

Consider the Eastern Front to be the ultimate "performance study" of the benefits of adding concrete to the frontal armour of the Stug iii, look for your sources there and not from American experiences with using sandbags stacked on Sherman tanks. 

I do not see any reason why German concrete would be better armour on the eastern front than American concrete was on the western front or in the Pacific.

The "common wisdom" of soldiers is often not backed up by reality when reality is examined - as in this case all that additional ad-hoc armour apparently contributed little or nothing except than to make soldiers feel a bit more confident.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PrussianOwl said:

it's on the Pz III ausf. B chassis and the armor's different

Yeah, it was a prototype, it has no armor, and it was never used in combat:

VbLObKY.jpg?1

This would make a better suggestion:

XntZxTt.jpg

Edited by Chomusuke1

On 26/11/2019 at 18:50, Ritter_21 said:

Another city map like "cargo port " was needed ? 

I'm just curious.

crap map like cargo port is needed to sell Golden Eagle and Subscription services.

You can block some map from appearing if you have subscription to gaijin.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

8 hours ago, Samuel_Hyde said:

crap map like cargo port is needed to sell Golden Eagle and Subscription services.

You can block some map from appearing if you have subscription to gaijin.

he is right you know.

How many more super close quarters brawling maps we will get?

But then again on Kursk people cry because "I can't hit sh*t".

Seriously.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

• 4 weeks later...

Little question About the ausf. A stug ,

There is in the front right a 11mm armor from the roof, but I have seen on pics that behind that in line with the Armor plate of the cannon is inside another plate (not modeled ingame) but in game there is a weld and a clearly visible thick plate (the cut of end) on the roof is it true that there was a plate inside or is it more a thin room seperator?  

medal

• 4 weeks later...

We definitely need this stug in game.   We need more early era vehicles in general  Nobody needs more top tier aids vehicles, who even wants to play up there anyway, it's cancerous as heck.  The game stops being even remotely fun after 8.3 or so.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 20/01/2020 at 16:19, BreechPlug said:

We definitely need this stug in game.   We need more early era vehicles in general

1944-45 Stug III G is considered early?