Eurofighter Typhoon DA-2 with Sidewinders and Panavia Tornado engines

CaSama9000@psn

Would you like to see an early representation of the Eurofighter Typhoon?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Typhoon DA-2 (early typhoon)?

• Yes (in the future)
    • No (please explain why)
    • Maybe/ I don't know
  2. 2. If added, where should this jet go?

• After the FGR.2 (fighter line)
    • Somewhere else (state below)
    • I answered No or Not sure

Hello everyone, I have a very interesting and one of the best suggestions for tier 7 Britain- the earliest variant of the Eurofighter Typhoon with the same engines as the Panavia Tornado! And yes, it carried the sidewinder!

THE EUROFIGHTER TYPHOON DA-2

507111859_EurofighterTyphoonDA2.thumb.jp

Copyright Eurofighter- Geoffery Lee

This was the first flight in 1994. Sidewinders are shown here (AIM-9L). Notice the different shape of the fuselage, particularly the nose.

Introduction  

The Eurofighter typhoon project kicked off with the British Aerospace EAP in 1983, which was a technology demonstrator entirely funded by the UK. The aircraft flew between 1986-1991 and became the foundation of the Eurofighter Typhoon project, saving a year of development and £850 million in costs. The EAP presented with high manoeuvrability, high speed (mach 2), high angles of attacks (up to 35 degrees) and was continuously modified to improve the aircraft. 

In 1993, one of the earliest variants of Eurofighter Typhoon DA-2 rolled out of BAe Warton Aerodrome. The Eurojet 200 was not ready at the time, so the aircraft was equipped with interim RB.199 Mk 104E turbofan engines (the same group of engines developed and used in the Tornado). This makes this aircraft very unique, equipped with engines only ever used on the Tornado, EAP and Typhoon (early). 

However... these engines were not great. A well known weakness of the Panavia Tornado was underpowered engines - it was not able to super cruise at any altitudes, produced a climbrate of only 76 m/s (very low compared to other jets) and pilots relied on afterburner to have reasonable performance. That said, the Eurofighter Typhoon is a completely different airframe weighing around 4 tons lighter than the Tornado (gross weight) - even lighter if you consider an earlier aircraft with less equipment. It was carefully designed for air superiority from the very beginning unlike the Tornado. In 1997 the DA2 reached mach 2 with these engines (it was the following year when EJ200 jets were retrofitted). In 2002 ASRAAMs were equipped onto the DA2 for flight trials, ending with its final flight in 2007. 

Where in the air tree? 

After the Phantom FGR.2 (fighter line) - it's a fighter jet. 

The aim of this suggestion is to provide a platform that is not too advanced and can carry balanceable IR missiles (sidewinders, weaker engines - however, EJ200 were retrofitted in 1998, that may be a possibility) in order to compete with air superiority fighters in other nations (F14 Tomcat, F15, F16, Saab Gripen, Mirage 2000, MiG29 ...etc). 

The Typhoon DA-2 can compete using 4x AIM-9L (see below). It is future-proofed with the possibility to upgrade to 4x AMRAAM.

ASRAAM is a possibility, but it's up to the developers to decide on whether to represent the entire operational service or:

• 1994-2007 - entire service (EJ200 and ASRAAM)
  • 1994-2001 (EJ200, without ASRAAM). 
  • 1994-1998 (avionics but without EJ200, without ASRAAM)

Nonetheless, the DA2 would not be anywhere near advanced as the later production variants (Typhoon F2 and FGR4). This would make the DA2 an excellent interim tier 7 fighter jet, allowing players to compete against air superiority fighters in other nations, and at the same time get accustomed to the new airframe. This early representation would create a foundation for the Typhoon line and pave the way for later, highly advanced variants. 

Note - this jet could face aircrafts with insane climb rates (e.g. Mig29 with 330 m/s and F16 with 370 m/s). The weaker interim engines make this jet unique but EJ200 engines (1998) could always remain a possibility for balance. 

Specifications  (with EJ200)

General characteristics

• Crew: 1 or 2
  • Length: 15.96 m (52 ft 4 in)
  • Wingspan: 10.95 m (35 ft 11 in)
  • Height: 5.28 m (17 ft 4 in)
  • Wing area: 51.2 m2 (551 sq ft)
  • Empty weight: 11,000 kg (24,251 lb)
  • Gross weight: 16,000 kg (35,274 lb)
  • Max takeoff weight: 23,500 kg (51,809 lb)
  • Fuel capacity: 4,996 kg (11,010 lb) / 6.215 l (1.642 US gal; 1.367 imp gal) internal
  • Powerplant: 2 × Eurojet EJ200 afterburning turbofan engines, 60 kN (13,000 lbf) thrust each dry, 90 kN (20,000 lbf) with afterburner

Performance

• Maximum speed: 2,125 km/h (1,320 mph, 1,147 kn) / Mach 2.0 (2,125 km/h or 1,320 mph at 11,000 m altitude)
  • 1,530 km/h (950 mph; 830 kn) / Mach 1.25 at sea level (1,530 km/h or 950 mph)
  • Supercruise: Mach 1.5
  • Range: 2,900 km (1,800 mi, 1,600 nmi)
  • Combat range: 1,389 km (863 mi, 750 nmi) Air defence with 10-min. loiter / Ground attack, hi-lo-hi (with 3 × external 1,000 l tanks)
  • 185 km (100 nmi) Air defence with 3-hr combat air patrol (with 3 × external 1,000 l tanks)
  • 601 km (325 nmi) Ground attack, lo-lo-lo (with 3 × external 1,000 l tanks)
  • Ferry range: 3,790 km (2,350 mi, 2,050 nmi) with 3 × drop tanks
  • Service ceiling: 19,812 m (65,000 ft) 
  • g limits: +9 / -3
  • Rate of climb: 315 m/s (62,000 ft/min) 
  • Wing loading: 312 kg/m2 (64 lb/sq ft) 
  • Thrust/weight: 1.15 (interceptor configuration)
  • Brakes-off to Take-off acceleration: <8 s
  • Brakes-off to supersonic acceleration: <30 s
  • Brakes-off to Mach 1.6 at 11,000 m (36,000 ft): <150 s

Armament

• 1x Mauser Cannon
  • Fuel tanks (1000 or 1500 litres)
  • Countermeasures
  • 2x AIM-9L
  • 4x AIM-9L (RAF Typhoons can carry 4x short range AAMs, as shown using ASRAAM) 
  • 4x AMRAAM
  • 4x ASRAAM 

Radar = ECR-90 - it was installed on development variants of the Typhoon. The DA-4 variant (two-seater) had this radar installed before its first flight in 1997. DA-2 is the single-seat variant (1994-2007); in 1998 the DA-2 received avionics upgrades. In 2000 the DA-2 was upgraded with the latest avionics.

ECR-90 is a multi-mode pulse doppler radar - later developments of this radar introduced significant improvements (scanned array system), however, we will only see this on later variants such as the Typhoon FGR.4.

Paint Schemes

1332333195_TyphoonDA2paintscheme.thumb.j

Copyright Eurofighter- Geoffrey Lee

Can the Typhoon DA-2 carry 4x Sidewinders?

1707295882_TyphoonDA2fuselage.thumb.jpg.

Copyright Eurofighter- Geoffrey Lee

As seen here, there are three hardpoints under each wing and two areas for countermeasures on the fuselage. The first flight in 1994 carried two sidewinders on the outermost pylons but it is possible to use the inner pylons. The Italian DA7 variant used the inner pylons to carry an extra 2x AMRAAM. As for RAF typhoons, the inner pylons were intended to equip an extra two short-range AAMs (4x ASRAAM did happen, it's photographed in the production variants). The Quick Reaction Alert equipment is usually 4x short-range AAMs and 4x long range AAMs. 

https://www.eurofighter.com/multimedia/details/alenia-aeronautica-da7-with-6xamraam-2xsidewinder-and-2x1500-l-610

The largest hardpoints closest to the fuselage were designed to carry 1000 L or 1500 L fuel tanks. A single fuel tank can also be equipped on the fuselage (centre). 

https://www.eurofighter.com/multimedia/details/bae-systems-da4-with-drop-tanks-ft-pods-and-4xamraam-missiles-o-588

References  

Edited by CaSama9000@psn
Added to the specifications
  • Upvote 1
medal

• CaSama9000@psn changed the title to Eurofighter Typhoon DA-2 with Sidewinders and Panavia Tornado engines

There's two ways of implementation: 

• 4x AIM-9L, 1x Mauser cannon and weaker interim engines (with no AMRAAM - held back until they're ready) - early to mid tier 7
  • EJ200 engines, 1x Mauser cannon, AIM-9L, AMRAAM (with ASRAAM held back) - mid to later tier 7

My suggestion is to have the first, as it brings the Typhoon closer to us and leaves the powerful EJ200 engines for the production variants. This aircraft is the only feasible fighter jet in tier 7, highly needed due to the lack of a single fighter jet. 

4x Sidewinders is a possible configuration. RAF Typhoons can carry 4 short range AAMs - two on the outer pylons, two on the inner pylon. This is photographed using ASRAAM on the production variants. 

Unlike the Tornado it won't need long range missiles to perform well, this airframe is highly capable. Plus we have other BVR platforms (Tornado F3, FGR2, FG1). AMRAAM can always remain a possible addition when they're ready though. I don't know of air-to-ground roles but there are many CAS platforms (harriers, jaguars, Tornado GR1, Tornado GR4). This can be an exclusive air superiority fighter rather than multi-role (FGR4).

medal

+1 from me, I definitely want to see this in game. I would like to see some Tornado ADV variants added first, but this would make a fine addition to the game nevertheless.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MonkeyBussiness said:

even if i doubt gaijin will give us this prototype almost all tier 6 jets are mass produced and UK have some options for tier 7, so wait and see i guess :dntknw:

Yep, we have some options for the future at least. I don't think there would be any other alternatives (from the UK) because the production Typhoon variants (2003) probably started directly with ASRAAM since the DA-2 variant had began flight trials with it in 2002. Yep we'll wait and see, hopefully! 

medal

Whilst I'm for this don't make reference to the tornado and its climbrate with the RB100 series engines the tornado is significantly heavier and has significantly more drag by design. The engines were underpowered for that airframe just like the engines in the jaguar. If you look at the BAe EAP it had 34000lbs of thrust and a absolute maximum take off weight of 32000lbs. Giving it a positive thrust to weight at all times where as a tornado only at empty weight that's no fuel, no ammo no crew has a positive thrust to weight. The moment the tornado if fueled and giving ordnance its a brick. Now there isn't much on the DA2 but it would be slightly heavier than the EAP as it would have combat equipment. But it would likely climb faster than anything else in the game due the thrust to weight and not having very much drag not to mention it would have absolute bonkers accelration and sea level top speed.

medal medal medal medal medal

27 minutes ago, oppsijustkilledu@psn said:

Whilst I'm for this don't make reference to the tornado and its climbrate with the RB100 series engines the tornado is significantly heavier and has significantly more drag by design. The engines were underpowered for that airframe just like the engines in the jaguar. If you look at the BAe EAP it had 34000lbs of thrust and a absolute maximum take off weight of 32000lbs. Giving it a positive thrust to weight at all times where as a tornado only at empty weight that's no fuel, no ammo no crew has a positive thrust to weight. The moment the tornado if fueled and giving ordnance its a brick. Now there isn't much on the DA2 but it would be slightly heavier than the EAP as it would have combat equipment. But it would likely climb faster than anything else in the game due the thrust to weight and not having very much drag not to mention it would have absolute bonkers accelration and sea level top speed.

Definitely that's right. I didn't reference the Tornado the way you're thinking, it's background information on the engines. I made a similar comment in my introduction (DA2 is a completely different airframe weighing 4 tons lighter than the Tornado). It could benefit from the engines far better than the Tornado. But not sure with max fuel and 8 AAMs - probably excellent low-altitude performance but less as you climb higher.

Although 2x Rb.199 is much weaker than 2x EJ200 engines I don't mind either powerplant I suggested both. Either would be great on this interim tier 7 fighter jet. 

medal

On a different, yet somewhat related note, is the EAP a viable option? It was only a technology demonstrator, and was far from being combat capable, but it did carry dummy weapons (Skyflash and ASRAAM). I say this because I'd also like to see French prototypes added to the game, and most of those only carried dummy weapons as well, so it would only be fair if Britain gets an equivalent.

Just a thought for discussion :) , I hope I don't derail the discussion. I only ask this because I wish the EAP gets more recognition that it deserves, as it is highly important historically, yet often forgotten by many, and I hope that the game brings this aircraft to prominence. 

7 hours ago, AVROVULCANXH558 said:

On a different, yet somewhat related note, is the EAP a viable option? It was only a technology demonstrator, and was far from being combat capable, but it did carry dummy weapons (Skyflash and ASRAAM). I say this because I'd also like to see French prototypes added to the game, and most of those only carried dummy weapons as well, so it would only be fair if Britain gets an equivalent.

Just a thought for discussion :) , I hope I don't derail the discussion. I only ask this because I wish the EAP gets more recognition that it deserves, as it is highly important historically, yet often forgotten by many, and I hope that the game brings this aircraft to prominence. 

It's an interesting idea. I'm not sure because no actual missile was ever installed and I doubt it had a radar. But perhaps the EAP could make an interesting event vehicle or an early tier 7 premium if the developers could add imaginative load-outs for it. But because the game is based on history it could be unlikely for the researchable tree- unlike other prototypes we have in the game, EAP wasn't intended for anything more than technology demonstrator (to provide starting ground for the Typhoon). 

The closest to the EAP would be the development Typhoon variants (e.g. the DA-2) - with the same type of engines but with missiles, full avionics...etc. That said, maybe event vehicles could be an area of the game to explore such aircrafts, like the EAP? 

• Upvote 1
medal

• 1 month later...
On 25/04/2021 at 19:44, MonkeyBussiness said:

even if i doubt gaijin will give us this prototype almost all tier 6 jets are mass produced and UK have some options for tier 7, so wait and see i guess :dntknw:

So Italy got the Sagittario 2 (a prototype), you never know. But following the addition of USAF Northrop F5s, i'm thinking Typhoon DA2 could make arguably the best premium jet for Britain, with the more powerful and capable Typhoon F.MK2 as the researchable aircraft (similar to F-5C as premium, F-5E as researchable).  

It makes sense because they're both air-to-air only and the F.Mk2 can be balanced just the same way as DA2 (AIM-9L + AMRAAM, with ASRAAM held back). More importantly the F.Mk2 is a production aircraft (complete representation) unlike the DA-2. The Typhoon DA2 could instead become a very fun and competitive premium jet to have. 

Edit - To be honest, the Typhoons are flagship aircrafts for the British air tree unlike Northrop F5s in US air tree and there will already be a huge shortage of jets. A premium typhoon probably isn't the best idea any time soon. I guess why not have both in the air tree, DA2 with weaker engines in fighter line (easily accessible interim counter for early air superiority jets like F-16A) after FGR2? And the F.Mk2, which is more capable, added soon after in the interceptor line after Tornado F.3? (a more complete counter for air superiority jets but must research/purchase Tornado F3 before it). 

Edited by CaSama9000@psn
medal

1 hour ago, MonkeyBussiness said:

not a fan of that at all

:D I guess not. It's just if the developers prefer adding production aircrafts (if they existed) first, over prototypes in the researchable tree at top tier.

Basically having the Typhoon F.Mk2 (production) as the first iteration in the air tree rather than the DA2, because they're balanceable in exactly the same way (both are air-to-air only and have the same air-to-air missiles).

But I can see why having the DA2 in the researchable tree is significant too. The F.Mk2 could go in the interceptor line after Tornado F3 with the DA2 in the fighter line after Phantom FGR2. I guess you can never say no to more Typhoons :DD

medal

+1 wish i could do another upvote just for that black camo

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to see the German variant of the typhoon, as they were a large part of the development of this aircraft, and, more personally, because members of my family are German Eurofighter pilots.

it would obviously go under the phantom tree.

I could create my own ticket on this, with the information on the plane, though they would be basically identical, with the German one being the DA1.

for now I can give each country and it's pre-production variant, though it would be advisable to not put them all in game, perhaps just the earliest of the development stage and latest version of the Instrumented Production aircraft.

For each one I would like to see in-game, I will put Tech tree (TT) and premium tree (PT)

Development Aircraft (DA):

DA1: Germany (PT)

DA2: UK (TT)

DA3: Italy (PT)

DA4: UK (PT)

DA5: Germany

DA6: Spain

DA7: Italy (TT)

Instrumented production aircraft (IPA)

IPA1: UK

IPA2: Italy (TT)

IPA3:Germany

IPA4:Spain

IPA5: UK

IPA6: UK (TT)

IPA7: Germany

IPA8: Germany (TT)

for additional information on variants, this Wikipedia page is actually pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon_variants

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With how great MLD is performing currently I wouldn't mind an alternative playstyle to the phantom in the future;)

To whoever is confused I don't mean now lol

It would be nice to have more than one option of playstyle that's all.

Would Mig-29 vs this typhoon be fair?

Edited by Mr_Pokemon26295
  • Confused 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 months later...