Panzer IV Ausf. D (7.5 cm. KwK 40 L/43) - The nameless Panzer IV

de Radio Demon@live

The nameless panzer IV  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Panzer IV Ausf. D (7.5 cm. KwK 40 L/43) be added to war thunder?

• Yes, I think it should be added to the tech tree
    • Yes, I think it should be added as a premium
    • Yes, I think it should be added as a Event/Gift vehicle
    • Yes, I think it should be added as a squadron vehicle
    • Yes, I think it should be added as a vehicle to the battle pass
    • Unsure
    • I don't think we need this Panzer IV variant in war thunder

Panzer IV Ausf. D (7.5 cm. KwK 40 L/43) - The nameless Panzer IV 

Image.png

Background

During the Second World War the Panzer IV and it many variants saw major action throughout the eastern and western fronts as each variant implement newer improvements over the last, yet in this case one improvement made to the older ausf D vehicles never received a proper or new designation which as a result as led the vehicle in some cases to be duped the Panzer IV D/H, as the war progressed by 1942 the remaining ausf D vehicles which remained and had been sent back to German for repairs underwent a modification which improved the lethality of the vehicle substantially, this was in the form of 7.5 cm. KwK 40 L/43 cannon, along with the improvement of firepower the vehicle itself received even more additionally armor as the add-on spaced armor that was installed previously was retained, this new add-on armor was in the form of Schürzen around the turret similar to the later Panzer IV variants such as the ausf H and J.

Image.png

Though the vehicle itself was upgraded which would have in theory allowed it to return to units more capable according to sources this odd version of the ausf D was mostly used for training tank crews with some said to have been sent out as replacements for crews in combat. Though this variant of the Panzer IV can be said to be rare, one vehicle of this upgraded type still exist as the Panzer IV (419) displayed at the Tank Museum in Bovington was captured in the upgraded configuration and due to the lack of a unique name they duped it the Panzer IV ausf D/H since the Schürzen was present.

Image.png

Specifications

Note(s): 

Due to the vehicle itself having not as much information as would be needed to list the technical aspects of the vehicle some aspects may be listed from the original Ausf D specifications

Event though the suggestion is names the vehicle as Panzer IV Ausf. D (7.5 cm. KwK 40 L/43), this is not a official designation, this is a name I made myself in order to differentiate it between the standard Panzer IV Ausf. D

Weight - 20 tons

Engine - Maybach HL 120 TRM (265 hp at 2600 rpm)

Mobility - 42 km/h 

Crew - 5

Armor - (See following sources for armor)

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/germany/panzer_iv_ausfd

http://panzerivuniverse.phelpscomputerservices.com/Specs-02.htm

Main Armament

1 x 7.5 cm. KwK 40 L/43 cannon (80 Rounds)

Secondary Armament

2 x 7.92mm MG 34 machine guns (1 x hull mount & 1 x Coaxial) (2,700 Rounds total)

Sources:

Image Sources:

Edited by de Radio Demon@live
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

1.) Training tank for drivers (NSKK), not a combat vehicle. Can you prove that it fired anything other than practice rounds?

2.) Turret is that of the Ausf. D (look at the cupola, side hatches, etc...) meaning 30 mm front, 20 mm sides & rear with a 35 mm mantlet, thinner than an actual G, H, or J

3.) Where is the NO option in your poll? There are far better variants of the Panzer IV to add to the game but this is definitely not one of them

r2GQLUA.jpeg

Edited by Chomusuke1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

On 20/11/2021 at 12:45, DMYEugen said:

+1 Would be a great squadron vehicle.

I agree with this idea.  I think we need more lower-tiered squadron vehicles so that way smaller squads have a chance to actually grind stuff out.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 22/11/2021 at 22:26, Chomusuke1 said:

1.) Training tank for drivers (NSKK), not a combat vehicle. Can you prove that it fired anything other than practice rounds?

2.) Turret is that of the Ausf. D (look at the cupola, side hatches, etc...) meaning 30 mm front, 20 mm sides & rear with a 35 mm mantlet, thinner than an actual G, H, or J

3.) Where is the NO option in your poll? There are far better variants of the Panzer IV to add to the game but this is definitely not one of them

r2GQLUA.jpeg

That variant has a different turret?

medal

Interesting vehicle, definitely deserves a place in the game. Although it would be redundant addition to research tree, I would like to see it as a premium alterternative to Command J version if it has better traverse. If not, well still a good candidate for premium but could be event vehicle. 

On 22/11/2021 at 12:26, Chomusuke1 said:

r2GQLUA.jpeg

I mean we have literal prototypes, vehicles in their unhistorical or proposed forms even rare, one of a kind stuff. What makes them to deserve place in the game while this one not ? Its turret was in operational form and the gun is literally L/48 we have in the game, ammunition of the guns are out of debate since we have tanks running with unhistorical amount of APCR/HVAPs and I'm not against it since its purely based game balance purpose.

Edited by Dewastor
  • Upvote 3