[Discussion] Balance, Bias, Matchmaking and Battle Ratings

Scarper

23 hours ago, Uncle J Wick@live said:

I am not sure if you are aware of the basic rules/goals for all f2p:

• Find a mix of success and frustration in order to keep players addicted
  • Create imbalances on purpose in order to earn money as premium vehicles are usually suited to overcome some imbalances

In other words for wt: Encourage people to buy undertiered premiums to kill overtiered tech tree vehicles.

I have no problem with that, but unfortunately it doesn't apply to top tier (11.3+).

There is (as an example) no German premium that can eliminate a russian T-80BVM from the front. Even the PzBtl 123 Leo doesn't get the DM33 rounds that all Leo 2A4 should have, so if you're lucky you get to shoot it from the side and hope for the best.

There is (currently) not a single premium that can even the odds against russians in top tier...all it does is reduce the loss of SL for getting killed. 

The KA-50 is even at top tier still relevant, cheap to spawn and the Vikhr missiles can kill everything at will...

In the end, you want to strike a balance between encouraging people to buy a premium to ease the grind and having fun in the game. 

At the moment you have to stay at 10.3BR with your premiums and your TT vehicles, because you're not getting a foot on the ground in top tier. 

And spading a CV90120 or a Leo 2A6 at top tier is absolutely no fun anymore...none. 

There are a lot of posts that describe the situation a lot better than I can, but playing with the chinese lineup now at 10.0 is actually fun, while playing my swedish lineup in 11.7 (even with spaded vehicles) is not. 

Top tier needs some serious rework and balancing. 

• Confused 2
medal medal medal

The matchmaking today has been so bad that I switched to playing French Reserve tanks.   Much less stress, Much more fun.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

15 hours ago, LyfHax420 said:

I just can't seem to understand who's infinite widsom was it to put the Type 90's at 11.0. Comparing them to T-80's and M1's. We all know that you don''t love Japan, but man, people are trying to enjoy your game here, do they really need to suffer this much? Armor is trash, not properly modeled, and still you insist on balancing with "statistics" because yes. 

The Type 90s are absolutely fine at 11.0. Very good mobility, 4 second reload, okay armour. What more do you want?

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

How about balance in low tiers?  I played a game today where, twice in a row, a player with the handle DaFatChickThrilla was in a battle with planes that had a 3.7 BR with 2 others on his side with the same BR.  Our side had 1 plane with that BR, the rest was around 2.3 average.  He got 22 kills and 15 kills in those two matches.  Several people in both games accused him of cheating in the in game chat.  I would have reported him, but I didn't know how until after the game ended.  I didn't save the replay, so if anyone knows a way I can do this after the fact, I'd love to know.  The games were around 1630 EST if that helps.

medal

Matchmaking is still being less than fun lately.   7.3 used to be a reliable BR for good matches.   The past few days they have all been steamrollers

Edited by Valcour
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

14 hours ago, GrunnyG said:

I didn't save the replay, so if anyone knows a way I can do this after the fact, I'd love to know.  The games were around 1630 EST if that helps.

First of all - cheating in Air Arcade? What kind of cheat? You have already unrealistic ufo flight models, unlimited ammo and lead indicators...

Second - just open the replay link within the battle results, reporting works from the server replay. Report only chat violations in the match or from result screen. 

Third - a hell of poor souls feel good when low tier seal clubbing and camping air spawn zone. Flying with a level 75 crew and an "aced" plane is a massive advantage against newer pilots. 

On 23/04/2023 at 04:17, steve_45 said:

Anyway enough of my ranting. Back to the grind I guess...?

About fighting Russian top tier:

-In regards to their tanks, my biggest issue is the lack of spall if it touches ERA. Otherwise the MBTs are still reasonably easy to kill despite low ammo rack chances since fuel explosions are quite common. I would not be opposed to NATO being given more advanced ammunition though, the ERA is quite ridiculous. TOW-2Bs are also effectively useless against Russian and Chinese tanks. I would at least like this problem to be addressed.

-The Pantsir is likely one of the most overrated AAs people talk about. On paper, this thing looks like an absolute moster. In practice, it highly relies on the aircraft being completely oblivious outside of 8-10km. I've had little issue avoiding these missiles by taking an immediate 90° turn after spawn as they simply don't have the energy to keep chasing you at a distance. It is also a large target, meaning helicopters and aircraft have an easier time spotting it and possibly destroying it. This isn't to say the Pantsir is bad, it is one of the best if not the best. However I dont believe it is overly dominant, it is simply being used against players that refuse to adjust their playstyle to accomodate.

-In regards to AA, NATO teams are ironically the most unreliable when it comes to playing as AA. Almost always they spawn in it too late, nearly everyone spawns in their MBT first. I'm certain we have all experienced a squad of helicopters rocket dumping at the start of the match because no one on our team spawned AA or were too oblivious to stop them. To be fair, KA-5x spamming Vikhers to prevent counterplay is incredibly stupid and needs to be changed. Same with the limitation of the US ADATS elevation to 59°. The gun should be changed to "Machine Gun" and the rockets set to Primary so it can finally use the 85° of elevation.

-Helicopters are my biggest sour spot. No NATO helicopter has been given an airbust guided rocket compared to Russia. This is quite unfair as MANPADs are limited in range and Hellfires are quite likely to miss at ranges greater than 4km. Adding an airbust option with AGM-114R or a variant of APKWS is a necessity.

-For CAS, both NATO and Russia have strong options. Due to the issues typically found on NATO teams however, Russian CAS appears much more dominant.

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

@Smin1080p ok yeah thats on me was the wrong place to discuss, so gonna try it again here. If the Pantsyr is not the reason that russia dominates top tier right now then what is your thought or what does the official data say currently is the main reason that russia dominates top tier currently? If we know which aspect leads to the current problem we might be able to tweak our gamestyle to counter it and those give a better gameplay for everyone involved.

3 minutes ago, x_Shini_ said:

@Smin1080p ok yeah thats on me was the wrong place to discuss, so gonna try it again here. If the Pantsyr is not the reason that russia dominates top tier right now then what is your thought or what does the official data say currently is the main reason that russia dominates top tier currently? If we know which aspect leads to the current problem we might be able to tweak our gamestyle to counter it and those give a better gameplay for everyone involved.

My personal thought/opinion on any matter is a bit irrelevant as I am just one person and player myself and my personal opinion is no more important or significant than any other person or player. Its not my job and also not really relevant to post my personal opinion on any matter. I'm only here to provide answers and information where its possible to do so :)

Pantsir is a new top tier vehicle that naturally a lot of people will flock too and a lot of attention will be drawn to it. Content creators will cover and use it a lot and of course competitive players will use it a lot, meaning more players will also have to fight against it / see it more so than perhaps other top SPAAGs. Increasing the chances its going to be fighting against you and cause a perception to be formed. From a statistical perspective, its inline currently with other top rank SPAAGs in efficiency and we will continue to monitor this should it massively deviate in any way from the others. But as of currently it has not. 

2 hours ago, Smin1080p said:

My personal thought/opinion on any matter is a bit irrelevant as I am just one person and player myself and my personal opinion is no more important or significant than any other person or player. Its not my job and also not really relevant to post my personal opinion on any matter. I'm only here to provide answers and information where its possible to do so :)

Pantsir is a new top tier vehicle that naturally a lot of people will flock too and a lot of attention will be drawn to it. Content creators will cover and use it a lot and of course competitive players will use it a lot, meaning more players will also have to fight against it / see it more so than perhaps other top SPAAGs. Increasing the chances its going to be fighting against you and cause a perception to be formed. From a statistical perspective, its inline currently with other top rank SPAAGs in efficiency and we will continue to monitor this should it massively deviate in any way from the others. But as of currently it has not. 

People are not flocking to USSR because of the top tier SPAA, it's 100% because playing other nations is choosing to play in a handycap against the best all round nation, increadibly trolly armour, prototype light tank/anti air combo, most effective Heli's whith the best heli premium to get the tree unlocked, SPAA with radar range better than the eye of Sauron, stop me if I'm wrong

One of the few bits of player facing information we get when you see how many people are queing for a game is that the majority (often more than all other nations combined) are in a lobby to play USSR at top tier ground.

It's hard for players to not be frustrated when they hear things like 'the stats are all good bro' and never show the stats, please I beg, engage with the comminity more on this

• Confused 2
medal medal

I don't understand why the Q5 series has to raise maintenance costs so much. The performance of these aircraft is not particularly strong and the revenue capacity itself is very poor. I think it would be sad if the maintenance cost of the aircraft was doubled because of the plug-in users. Not to mention that China does not have any particularly powerful aircraft in this environment, nor do Chinese helicopters have much capability against ground forces, not to mention that these aircraft face a lot of ground air defense forces, or even ground air defense missiles. To make up for a shot down game would require a lot of unshot down games to make up for it, which is unrealistic because players are now so good at using anti-aircraft units. Q5 series shouldn't have raised maintenance costs so much!

Edited by Edo_惊鸿游雪

17 hours ago, Smin1080p said:

Funny, I don't remember seeing a huge increase in players and win rates for Italy and Israel despite also getting new top tier vehicles. Geez, I wonder why that is.

And if data about the Pantsir is so conclusive about being inline with the VT1 and Russia overall being fine, how about actually releasing the entirety of the data with the current win rates of every nations and every vehicles to shut us up? After all, your internal data is supposed to say that they are fine, so releasing them should be a great way to stop the dissent.

Of course, I'm not delusional. I know that will never happen because then we'd have empirical data to prove that things sure as hell ain't fine, and gaijin sure as hell don't want to get called out on it.

Because at the end of the day, we all know that if this was happening on the regular to a Russian tank

then things would have gotten fixed a LONG time ago.

• Confused 3
medal medal medal

18 hours ago, llSolitairell@psn said:

It doesn't have Laser Warning Systems either.

You sure it doesn't just come stock with it? Even AH-64As got those.

Edited by SXTREME
medal medal medal medal

Just now, Zucc_Boi said:

Anyone knows why the Merkava 1 and 2 in the Israeli TT are 9.0 while in the US they're 8.7?

Different matchmaking, different opponents mean different performance. Also keep in mind that player of niche nations are quite often more expierienced than players of the big three or four.  

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, Thodin said:

Different matchmaking, different opponents mean different performance. Also keep in mind that player of niche nations are quite often more expierienced than players of the big three or four.  

Is that speculation or is that really the twisted logic Gaijin is using?

medal medal

4 minutes ago, Zucc_Boi said:

Is that speculation or is that really the twisted logic Gaijin is using?

It is. Just cause vehicles are identical, they might generate different server stats. If one variant seems to perform alot better, its BR gets bumped up. Its rare, but not uncommon. See German M48 and US M48.

Edited by Thodin
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal