How to destroy a T-34 ?

Teemestari

I noticed that Soviet T-34 is quite popular. So I found some motivation to study with the War Thunder protection analysis tool and test driving. I wrote a short document. I hope you'll find it useful. Hunting season is coming, etc.

How_to_destroy_a_T-34.pdf

TheCheshireCat (Posted )

Thread moved to Army Academy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I created a simple exercise. Print the attached image . Mark with a color pen all interesting points you remember, and describe what you may hit. Check how well you did. Repeat as many times you need.

T-34_exercise.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Teemestari said:

I created a simple exercise. Print the attached image . Mark with a color pen all interesting points you remember, and describe what you may hit. Check how well you did. Repeat as many times you need.

T-34_exercise.png

Problem is T-34 is bouncy, I can't count how many times I shot it in the sides and nothing 

• Like 1

With my captured KV-1B i just point and click T-34's. Russian blunt nose ammunition ignores most of the angling (those famous "hidden modifiers") and current map sizes funnel you mostly into close combat situations. You just click at the UFP and it pens without bounce. For midrange shots I'll got for the turret right and left of the gun. Dunno how to do it in other tanks, cause I stopped playing them since I've got my German KV-1B. Its not really worth to waste your time with 75mm guns + Panzergranate, which bounce off far too often. On paper, stats looks good, but ingame it fails you too often for no obvious reason. In contrast, KV-1 ammo looks pretty much bad on paper (check the stats), but ingame its superior to evewrything else at this 4.0 +- BR bracket.

Edited by Thodin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

If you think T-34 is hard to kill now you should have been here 7 years ago when one player almost got to 100 K/D with it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

Btw Wirbelwind still can kill T-34, with it's top round just shoot the turret when he's looking at you - you'll kill a gunner, and a loader (I guess?) and when they will switch - just shoot there again.

Edited by ShOt_MaCkEr
  • Thanks 1

I used to have problems with killing them and thought they were the definition of Russian Bias until I went and played them. That was before volumetric armor and shells, too. Maybe I need to go play them again to see if anything has changed or if they still need to be played like M18s.

medal

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/09/2022 at 15:18, Teemestari said:

Would it be better to relocate this topic under Army Academy?

Probably.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 13/08/2022 at 21:41, Delfigrey said:

I used to have problems with killing them (...) until I went and played them.

This is true of MOST tanks that players consider OP...when you get them you realized they are not as strong as they seemed.

The overtier effect is partially to blame...but the best way to understand the weaknesses of a tank is to play it and see how it dies...

That said, some tanks like t34 are actually a bit more effective than average...so they are tough to play against and effective when you get them...just not as good as you expect...(Others are M10, Jumbo, Panther, etc...)

As to the original question...aim at the turrret or turret ring when possible. Use a big gun (German TDs are a good option...or PzIVF2). Avoid ricochets...aim at flat surfaces and avoid quick glancing shots.

May T34 players dash from place to place...if not charging me i try to wait for them to stop before firing...this depends on the specific situation...but they are hard to hit when moving...they move fast and bounce a lot.

T34 has a good gun, so if you cant get a good shot i would move away and find a better target. If it is in good cover you will probably lose the duel (unless you have a better gun).

15 hours ago, GhostSoph@psn said:

This is true of MOST tanks that players consider OP...when you get them you realized they are not as strong as they seemed.

The overtier effect is partially to blame...but the best way to understand the weaknesses of a tank is to play it and see how it dies...

That said, some tanks like t34 are actually a bit more effective than average...so they are tough to play against and effective when you get them...just not as good as you expect...(Others are M10, Jumbo, Panther, etc...)

As to the original question...aim at the turrret or turret ring when possible. Use a big gun (German TDs are a good option...or PzIVF2). Avoid ricochets...aim at flat surfaces and avoid quick glancing shots.

May T34 players dash from place to place...if not charging me i try to wait for them to stop before firing...this depends on the specific situation...but they are hard to hit when moving...they move fast and bounce a lot.

T34 has a good gun, so if you cant get a good shot i would move away and find a better target. If it is in good cover you will probably lose the duel (unless you have a better gun).

My American T34 wishes it could charge. It just sort of lumbers from place to place.

• Upvote 1
medal

T-34 (1940 / 1941):

Spoiler

gHb68uT.jpg

A: For every Tank which can meet the T-34 on its BR

B: Panzer IV "long" 75mm or similar/better

C: Sherman 75mm / T-34 76mm or similar/better

18ioda9.jpg

A: Best shot to prevent counterfire

B: Best shot to get Hull + Turretcrew (bit risky when T-34 is slightly angled)

C: Best shot for Hull, even when T-34 is angled. (armor is not angled by itself -> Similar to Jumbo-Weakspot)

T-34 (1942):

Spoiler

ckLmSjX.jpg

B: Panzer IV "long" 75mm or similar/better

C: Sherman 75mm / T-34 76mm or similar/better

D: For next to every Tank which can meet the T-34 on its BR (Risky / Hard 2 Hit)

uxldjuE.jpg

B: Best shot to get Hull + Turretcrew (bit risky when T-34 is slightly angled + because of trackarmor)

C: Best shot for Hull, even when T-34 is angled. (armor is not angled by itself -> Similar to Jumbo-Weakspot)

T-34-85 (D-5T):

Spoiler

jWCLLHu.jpg

B: Panzer IV "long" 75mm or similar

C: Sherman 75mm / T-34 76mm or similar

D: For next to every Tank which can meet the T-34 on its BR (Risky / Hard 2 Hit).

E: Panzer IV "long" 75mm or similar (only when Hulldown)

ocJlvzc.jpg

D: Good shot to prevent counterfire

T-34-85 (ZiS-S-53):

Spoiler

GsT4tkg.jpg

B: Panzer IV "long" 75mm or similar

C: Panzer IV "long" 75mm or similar (trackarmor)

D: For next to every Tank which can meet the T-34 on its BR (Risky / Hard 2 Hit).

E: Panzer IV "long" 75mm or similar (only when Hulldown)

N09YzrE.jpg

D: Good shot to prevent counterfire

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/09/2022 at 08:45, igorxoa@live said:
I think they change the t34 data every update, in the past, every Breda shot penetrated the t34 on all sides, today, it needs some spots to shoot... anyway, is strange.

well yes i notice now that gaijin give a stronger buff to the T-34, before it wasn't to difficult to kill him with the m4 and the m4a2, now is almost imposible

• Confused 1

All depends on the RNG that day. Some days I can pop them like pimples, others even sure kill shots bounce off them. 

Stalinium and the home team at it's finest..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I wrote another article. It is longer than the previous, and because I still used T-34 as a target, I chose to attach the new article under this already existing topic. The new article is long because there are many pictures. The amount of text is not that great.

Choosing_Your_Loadout.pdf