Effect of changes to "randoms" joining operations and battles

From the "News" thread @Stona made this post:

I'm confused about this - what does it mean that a "random" can join an operation but not a battle?  What would they be doing in an operation other than playing a battle??

I usually can't imagine the more subtle downstream consequences of changes like this - it's ben too long since the last WWM was open and I can't remember all the ins and outs! :/

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

November isn't that long ago for the last WWM. But you are right, if they CAN join operations, isn't that joining battles? Their statement certain seems to make no sense to me and they should clarify it. The 10 minute restriction for randoms (does that not mean NON Squadron members?) does seem a bit extreme and probably should drop to 5 minutes. What if a Squad starts a "Battle" (probably should be called "Operation" and doesn't get enough players? Kinda running into Bruce's thread now...

• Thanks 1

They mean you can't play in a battle now without being part of an operation first. The team-balancing is done at the operation level (80 slots to a side). This is how it was done in November, as well. Two years ago you got a list of the battles you could join as a rando. In the last one and this one now, you get a list of operations. If you punch out of that operation, you're still considered part of it for a certain number of minutes.

This would be a good thing I think... if there were any kind of operational level chat function to allow integration of randoes into the planning, invite them to that next squadron's operation, and so on. Without that it's not much difference for the unaffiliated player, you can still just jump around battle to battle and team to team, albeit with some added delay.

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Developer
19 hours ago, Josephs_Piano said:

I'm confused about this - what does it mean that a "random" can join an operation but not a battle?  What would they be doing in an operation other than playing a battle??

@Bruce_R1 is right. I have nothing to add to his explanation.