Al-Fao the Iraqi Al-pha

TyrantrumGamingB@psn

Would you like to see the Al-Fao added to War Thunder?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Al-Fao added to War Thunder?

• Yes, as a TT vehicle
    • No
    • Yes, as a event vehicle
    • Yes, as a Battlepass reward
  2. 2. What BR should the Al-Fao be?

• I said No
    • Higher or Lower BR (please specify)
  3. 3. What TT should the Al-Fao be added into?

• USSR(the time period the Al-Fao was built the Soviets and Iraqis were sudo-allies)
    • A Independent Iraqi tree(personally don't see happening)
    • A Arab League tree
    • Israel(essentially turn Israel into a middle east tree)
    • I said no

Today I'd like to suggest a Iraqi prototype designed and built by Canadian designer Gerald Bull the same man who designed the more well known G6 SPH which we already have in game, so consider the Al-Fao the bigger sibling to the G6.

The story of the Al-Fao beings in 1981 when Gerald Bull was hired by Saddam Hussein to work on larger and more powerful projectile-hurling guns than project HARP which Bull had been a main part of, so with Bull being hired for Project Babylon the Al-Fao was one of the results of the project along with it's sister the Majnoon which was a 155mm SPG, Bull would work on these gun systems along with the Big Babylon and Baby Babylon guns until his unfortunate assassination in March of 1990.

The Al-Fao(also sometimes called the G7) would be built in Europe and then publicly displayed in Baghdad in 1989 however it isn't known if the Al-Fao ever went into service with the Iraqi army and as none were captured in the 1991 gulf war is it safe to assume that the project was cancelled soon after Bull's assassination.

The Al-Fao whilst being built on a wheeled chassis was found to not be robust enough for the gun requiring the massive muzzle brake seen here.20230401_005414.jpg.949f13a0ec952041b1a7

Crew : 6 (Driver, Gunner, Commander and 3 Loaders)

Armament : 210mm L/53 cannon(that's a 11.13m long gun!)

Elevation: 0° to +55°

Traverse +40° left and right 80° total 

Muzzle velocity: 997m/s

Projectile weight: 109.4kg/241.2lbs

ROF: max - 4rds/m sustained - 1rd/m

Top Speed : 90km/h on road, 60-70km/h cross country

Weight : 48,000kg, 105822lbs, 48t

I hope everyone finds this suggestion interesting and if anyone has more information on this vehicle I'd greatly appreciate it as there are things that I obviously couldn't find like ammo stowage, and the explosive mass of the shells so if you have that information please share so I can make this suggestion as good as possible!

Spoiler

al-fao-210mm.jpg.7073510ad8e87ce978019e2 1999185791_AlFao_AlMajnoon_Baghdad-1989. 440px-AL_Fao_210mm_SP.jpg.45db5fb1cc47db

Sources

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=736

https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/Al-Fao

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/iraqi-heavy-artillery-pre-desert-storm.6675/

• Upvote 7
medal medal

+1 for an Iraqi (TT) and/or South African TT (Event or Squadron) since the Al-Fao is a derivative of the Al-Manjoon which itself is a Iraqi derivative of the South African G6 Howitzer

Putting an Iraqi vehicle in the Israeli TT is completely insane (as bad as putting Russia and Ukraine in the Same TT) especially considering that Iraq is Israel's main enemy in the region until the fall of Saddam's Regime (where Iran took that spot even to this day) and even the more Pro US Iraqi government of Today (as of writing this) still does not recognises Israel as a legitimate country. Finally there is people who want to fight Israeli vehicles in Arab built/operated vehicles and vice versa and adding Arab vehicles to the Israeli TT defeats the purpose (the only Arab vehicles that should even be allowed in the Israeli TT are captured ones, especially the ones That Israel operates and/or modified)

Putting it in the Soviet or a combined Arab TT makes way more sense than Israel but it's not ideal since for the former, the Soviet Union still have plenty of domestically built SPG's to put in their TT (and if were insistent in putting vehicles of foreign origin in the Russian TT, it would make more sense to add Cuban and/or Vietnamese vehicles) and for the latter the relationships that the Arab states have with each other are fickle even at the best of times with a couple of exceptions

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

31 minutes ago, Miraz05 said:

Turning Isreal into middle east techtree would be one of the most controversial thing in warthunder's history. 

It would also make it significantly less attractive, and it's already probably the least attractive tree in game. 

medal medal

49 minutes ago, Miraz05 said:

Turning Isreal into middle east techtree would be one of the most controversial thing in warthunder's history. 

Yeah I know, just added it as a thing cause at the moment I just couldn't see a Arab League style TT tho I wouldn't rule it out at all

medal medal

+1 as an independent tree (like Arab league or something similar), given the development history.

By the way, I don't think adding Arabic vehicles into Israeli and make it a "Middle East" tree is a good idea, since it's the equivalent of the Korean sub-tree proposal for Japan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/04/2023 at 04:40, iraqi_foxbat25@psn said:

They need to add arab tech tree

all arabs countries in 1 tech tree

this make sense tbh 

and the flag of the tech tree will use the bug Arab revlotion in 1916

or arab league 

On 22/04/2023 at 19:32, Thunayyan_503_@psn said: