How does the spotting mechanic work?

Asphergo

Hello everyone,

I tried to look for this information in the begginers guide and FAQ, but I couldn't find anything useful.
I'm comfused about the spotting mechanics in this game because I started playing War Thunder some days ago and I have played the other popular tank game on PC (won't say the name, I don't know if it is forbidden or something, but you know which game I'm talking about) and the spotting mechanics were very simple. 

So I have the following doubts: 
In arcade battles, what determines if I'm spotted by the enemies or not? I mean, when exactly will my name and tank appear in red in front of the enemies? Do they have to aim at me? Do I have to be at 500m away from them? 
I'm asking this because I'd like to know is what is the mechanic that allows me to remain unspotted in arcade battles. If I pick a light tank like the M22 and I hide behind a bush, how do I know if I'm spotted or not? When does the game give away my position in the map to the enemies? 
I thought that shooting with the machine gun was the thing that would make enemies visible in the map, but I'm not sure if I'm right or that only applies to realistic battles. 

Thank you very much for your help and patience and excuse me if I'm asking something very obvious.  Have a great day!

I don't know the answer but I suspect there are several factors here. Maybe crew skill levels, line of sight, and looking or aiming at you. It's a bad question to ask, because you say you like to hide in bushes, but this is never going to work in arcade. In realistic mode you can still be spotted by a scout vehicle, if it uses the "active scouting" ability. Once marked you're basically dead because any nearby enemies will approach you.