Some insight for the developers who we are constantly told play the game, just in case

Prophet1313

I have been playing War Thunder for just about 10 years now. 

I unlocked my first "top tier" jet all the way back in 2016 with the F-86. All in all the research, from reserve to "top tier" took me about 200 hours. All of that was as an F2P player, no premium account or planes. At no point was I starver for silver lions and at no point did I feel progression was unfair. Could it have been faster? Yes but it didn't need to be. It was bearable. 
After 6000+ hours in War Thunder I can no longer in good faith spend money on the game. Back in 2016 having a premium account was helpful but not necessary, today it is not only mandatory but not worth it. Doing the math, a F2P player starting today will take upwards of 1000 hours to research all the way to "top tier", probably about twice that in SL. Cut the research in half buy spending money on a premium account? Its still well over twice what it was in 2016 as an F2P player. The game has advanced a lot, hundreds of new vehicles have been added but the costs have not been reduced. The last, now reverted, econ update didn't break the game. It's been falling apart for almost a decade, this was just the last straw. 
The current business model for Gaijin is simply not sustainable. Ignoring the recent (well deserved) review bombing, on the surface the game is sitting at "Mostly Positive" on Steam. Seems pretty good right? When we exclude players who have played less than 100 hours though the reviews drop to "Mixed". The model "Sell shiny premium, get new people to buy it, have them play for 6 hours and then never come back" will one day crash and burn. One day you will run out of people who haven't heard of War Thunder's issues. One day no one new will spend money on the game. Could be next year could be in 10 years. It will happen, its just a matter of time. I would love to play War Thunder with friends who haven't played before but I simply can't recommend them the game. No one deserves the thousands of hours of grinding it would take to reach some of the more modern vehicles. Alternatively no one should be spending what is essentially the price of a brand new AAA game on a premium only to be expected to grind for 100+ hours with boring, monotonous gameplay,

So for the sake of the game we all love, We, The Players, both new and old, are asking you to change direction. There are countless examples of F2P games out there being successful without milking the community dry. If F2P doesn't work poll the community on switching to a Pay2Play model. I for one will be more than happy to pay 15 dollars a month for a game I enjoy. Currently though War Thunder is not a game I enjoy. I won't pretend to understand the grand plan behind it all but the current system will eventually kill the game. I don't have a perfect solution, I don't think anyone has a perfect solution, but at this point anything would be better than the current situation

• Upvote 8
medal medal medal medal medal medal

23 hours ago, Prophet1313 said:

I have been playing War Thunder for just about 10 years now. 

I unlocked my first "top tier" jet all the way back in 2016 with the F-86. All in all the research, from reserve to "top tier" took me about 200 hours. All of that was as an F2P player, no premium account or planes. At no point was I starver for silver lions and at no point did I feel progression was unfair. Could it have been faster? Yes but it didn't need to be. It was bearable. 
After 6000+ hours in War Thunder I can no longer in good faith spend money on the game. Back in 2016 having a premium account was helpful but not necessary, today it is not only mandatory but not worth it. Doing the math, a F2P player starting today will take upwards of 1000 hours to research all the way to "top tier", probably about twice that in SL. Cut the research in half buy spending money on a premium account? Its still well over twice what it was in 2016 as an F2P player. The game has advanced a lot, hundreds of new vehicles have been added but the costs have not been reduced. The last, now reverted, econ update didn't break the game. It's been falling apart for almost a decade, this was just the last straw. 
The current business model for Gaijin is simply not sustainable. Ignoring the recent (well deserved) review bombing, on the surface the game is sitting at "Mostly Positive" on Steam. Seems pretty good right? When we exclude players who have played less than 100 hours though the reviews drop to "Mixed". The model "Sell shiny premium, get new people to buy it, have them play for 6 hours and then never come back" will one day crash and burn. One day you will run out of people who haven't heard of War Thunder's issues. One day no one new will spend money on the game. Could be next year could be in 10 years. It will happen, its just a matter of time. I would love to play War Thunder with friends who haven't played before but I simply can't recommend them the game. No one deserves the thousands of hours of grinding it would take to reach some of the more modern vehicles. Alternatively no one should be spending what is essentially the price of a brand new AAA game on a premium only to be expected to grind for 100+ hours with boring, monotonous gameplay,

So for the sake of the game we all love, We, The Players, both new and old, are asking you to change direction. There are countless examples of F2P games out there being successful without milking the community dry. If F2P doesn't work poll the community on switching to a Pay2Play model. I for one will be more than happy to pay 15 dollars a month for a game I enjoy. Currently though War Thunder is not a game I enjoy. I won't pretend to understand the grand plan behind it all but the current system will eventually kill the game. I don't have a perfect solution, I don't think anyone has a perfect solution, but at this point anything would be better than the current situation

they could learn a thing or two from the warframe game as far as free to play game structure. most importantly thing or two from star citizen by cig or satisfactory by coffee studios, as far as communicating. As well as being open to the community as well as partaking in the community events. cig devs are in the reddit comments every single day. they're in the game playing their own game and testing their stuff they've worked on. they are in so many different community and squadron discords. they have their eye on everything and are always paying attention to any concerns and questions asked every day. i can send a discord dm to cig developers and ask questions rather than having to go through corporate channels. they make themselves available to the players at a most significant level. our thoughts are heard and noted every day. i cant count on my hands how often ive been in sc and had a cig dev taking questions and answering questions in the servers. before implementing 100 player servers they had gone around and picked everyone up in the 890jump to do some shenanigans to test out server load handling. they show a passion for their game that the war thunder devs and community mods show a lack of every day

Edited by Cephalor
medal medal medal

On 20/05/2023 at 01:23, Prophet1313 said:

I for one will be more than happy to pay 15 dollars a month for a game I enjoy. Currently though War Thunder is not a game I enjoy. I won't pretend to understand the grand plan behind it all but the current system will eventually kill the game.

Unfortunately I think the game is already there, That is about how much it costs for a month Premium time at being around £10-£15 and I do not believe the game's economy is even remotely tenable without prem time. 

1 hour ago, Cephalor said:

two from the warframe game as far as free to play game structure.

Warframe has a great structure. A little grindy at times, but a combo of players helping players and the market place economy helps off-set that. And nothing is unreasonably priced

• Upvote 1