Make the bombers spawn higher...

PatteDangerSwe

On big air maps i spawn a bomber and trying to gain altitude, but within 2 minutes of very slow increasing of altitude all the fighters are way higher than me... Its hard as it is to play bomber in Air RB so why cant bombers just spawn higher? 

Another question ive got is what ammo belt is the best for B-25J-1? The API seems to be the best choice, but it doesnt seem to do anything when trying to kill fighters coming after me. Just getting "hit" markes... 

3 minutes ago, PatteDangerSwe said:

On big air maps i spawn a bomber and trying to gain altitude, but within 2 minutes of very slow increasing of altitude all the fighters are way higher than me... Its hard as it is to play bomber in Air RB so why cant bombers just spawn higher? 

Another question ive got is what ammo belt is the best for B-25J-1? The API seems to be the best choice, but it doesnt seem to do anything when trying to kill fighters coming after me. Just getting "hit" markes... 

Well you also can turn around the mid map, in order to climb longer and let high altitude fighter to fight each, and by that having them to go lower.

Planning your way in and out, is the most important thing as a bomber.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The B-25 is a medium bomber. It was never meant for high alt bombing. You are better off diving to your targets, get in, and get out. 

The 25 was a great plane, years ago. But too many faster aircraft, just .3-.7 BR higher, and it struggles. Use it like an attacker and you should have better results 

medal medal medal

Hey, you make a good point, but I think it's important to remember that the status of bombers has changed quite a bit during this game's development, as have players' attitudes towards them. To cut a long story short, players who prefer playing fighters and think the objective of a match is to kill every enemy player essentially won out against players who preferred flying bombers and playing mission objectives, and so Gaijin took many decisions which make playing any bomber harder. 

This means bombers having lower spawn altitude than they used to, while the enemy can have dedicated interceptors receive an aerial spawn. Due to the slow speed of most high flying bombers, they will almost always end up getting intercepted before they reach a bombing point, which is the only viable target they can go after in a game. 

Once upon a time, some of the bombers which had good defensive armament would at least be able to defend themselves against some enemies, and damage models for bombers used to be far more durable. 

The most viable bombers in the game now, in terms of gameplay mechanics (the so-called "meta") are bombers which can combine high speed with high payload. Unfortunately, this means that countries famed for their employment of strategic bombers end up having largely useless bombers, especially since their medium bombers are also rarely effective at having both speed and payload, and usually have only one or the other. 

If you want to play the B-25, I would echo what has been said and advise a quick in-and-out bombing run, which means diving (but not too hard, so you don't rip your wings off if you're in Air RB) and hitting the bombing point, assuming you can get to it before someone else with a faster person on your team does. 

If SL aren't as much of an issue, you can also stick around and strafe some ground targets, and then hope that if you get attacked you might be able to at least kill your attacker as well. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

20 hours ago, PatteDangerSwe said:

Despite some of the fellow players above gave some real good recommendations - i do not think an increase of the air spawn altitude (of lets say 500 or 1.000 meters) on really large Air RB maps like Spain would make any difference. For your example B-25 it won't change anything, maybe some smart Halifax pilots would have a benefit, but if they are smart - they choose longer routes, stay 20 km away from any enemy to avoid getting "dot spotted" and know in general what to do.

If you play bombers frequently you might have realized that on some very old maps the way too low airspawn altitude was increased. I mean the airspawn is still 700 meters too low (due to airspawn for all enemy fighters), but i was positively surprised that some nice tech mods followed my bug report and changed it - France 1944, Moscow 1941, Huertgen 2nd and Operation Iskra have now the same air spawn alt as on standard maps. Getting a basekill there is still no milk run, but much more bombers have now a chance to drop...

1 hour ago, Stavroforos said:

If you want to play the B-25, I would echo what has been said and advise a quick in-and-out bombing run, which means diving (but not too hard, so you don't rip your wings off if you're in Air RB) and hitting the bombing point, assuming you can get to it before someone else with a faster person on your team does. 

Based on my experiences you recommended tactic is the only viable option for the B-25. Everything else is planned suicide. The main challenges are own and enemy strike aircraft. Own - they are simply faster at your designated base, Enemy - especially guys in Wyverns simply spray you down before you have the chance to drop in a slight dive attack.

In addition to your well written summary  i would like to add that a second bomb run is only advised if your team has some fighters left and the enemy has much fewer planes, otherwise enemy fighters (driven by tasks) kill them quick - and before they can actually drop...    

21 hours ago, KnightsCross20@psn said:

The B-25 is a medium bomber. It was never meant for high alt bombing. You are better off diving to your targets, get in, and get out. 

The 25 was a great plane, years ago.

Also here fully agree with the first part. Imho the B-25 is besides my favorite B-18B on of the most difficult targets you can have if you meet them at high speed at medium altitude and you have to climb up. The gun range off their 0.50 cals is insane and with enough altitude to spend on their way back to base you have to stay far too long inside their, but outside your gun range - ofc depending on manual gunner skills....

In addition - imho they dominate in SB. Check the SB forum or try your luck in SB - you will see around BF 4.0 a hell of B-25s with thousands of kills and very high k/d ratios.

Have a good one!