New player, I request advice

Hello War Thunder community, I joined the game about one month ago and kindly request your help.

I plan to fully focus on one nation's techtree at a time, but there's so much stuff available that I'm a bit overwhelmed and am having trouble choosing where to commit to. As of this post, USA or Germany look like a reasonable place to start, followed by more niche nations (Japan, Italy, China, and maybe France).

I'm fairly casual, so for now I wish to stick exclusively to Ground Arcade battles.

Knowing the above, which nation would you recommend I start with? Note that I don't mind starting with something that's not easy to master as long as it's fun to play with.

Edited by Amrael87
  • Like 1

I would personally suggest Russia and Sweden as your primary nations, This is a very specific selection, but hear me out.

Russia is generally considered to be a large tech tree with a powerful high end and a lot of vehicles that have forgiving armor characteristics. Playing Russia will give you a forgiving experience that teaches you to utilize cover effectively due to their main weakness being longer than average reload speed. It's also a strong nation in air and naval, so you can grind those trees if you ever change your mind on game modes.

Sweden is a harder nation to play with the opposite playstyle of Russia, at least in the WW2 tiers, playing Sweden will teach you ambush positioning and sniper tactics, their tech tree is less forgiving than any of the 3 major nations, but it is extremely potent once you master the learning curve and odd vehicles, and in my opinion it's the best nation to play if you desire to improve at the game for ground.

Best of luck.

Edited by _RemiliaScarlet__
  • Like 1
medal medal medal

For a new player starting from 0, I currently would advise China as #1 good variety of vehicles and has a mix of US and USSR vehicles.

#2 would be Sweden, they also have USSR, UK and German vehicles.

There you can try the vehicles and if you like the Panzer IV or T34 then you can switch to another tech tree.

If you don't want to play nations that are considered "minor nations"  you can basically choose whichever of the big 3 you want. I would rank them 1. USSR, 2. USA, 3. GER.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 07/06/2023 at 16:27, pihip said:

I plan to fully focus on one nation's techtree at a time,

You should play as you want, and if this is what you want, go for it. I would go with one of the "big three" (Germany, US, Russia) as they have more vehicles to fill lineups and there are good vehicles at most BRs. Minor nations usually "force" the vehicles you have to use as they are less and some are not so good. I cant think of any reason to choose any of the big three...as the best nation changes several times as you move up in BR...so i would go with historical preference.

THAT SAID...i would advise using SEVERAL NATIONS...and not just one, for two reasons:

- When you play a nation, vehicles repair for free OVER TIME, and if you play several nations you can keep playing while other nations repair.

- The best way to understand a nation weak points is to play it...so it helps if you know all vehicles of all nations

As a side reason...i actually find boring to keep playing the same nation...but that is a personal view i guess.

• Upvote 1

Thank you all.

Will keep your advice in mind once I select which nation to grind, though after some thinking I'll probably not touch Russia or China as their lack of gun depression looks like a terrible shortcoming.

On 07/06/2023 at 17:27, pihip said:

I plan to fully focus on one nation's techtree at a time

I would highly suggest not doing that.

I recommend play Germany, Russia, USA equally to Battlerating BR 3.7, then to BR 5.3 to learn the game / gamemechanics and weakspots. After that you have enough knowledge about the game and yourself to see what you like or dislike, to narrow down a nation to exeed to "higher" BR´s.

Also take a look on those links:

1) Ammo types:

2) Damage Mechanics: https://wiki.warthunder.com/Damage_mechanics

2 hours ago, pihip said:

I'll probably not touch Russia or China as their lack of gun depression looks like a terrible shortcoming.

They have other big advantages to balance this out. In WW2 russian tech has access to 122mm / 152mm which can kill big cats on crazy ranges.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

16 minutes ago, Noir89 said:

They have other big advantages to balance this out. In WW2 russian tech has access to 122mm / 152mm which can kill big cats on crazy ranges.

To be honest, several russian tanks require some "learning" to handle the depression issues. BUT they do have other advantages. T34s in particular are very effective tanks...as well as KVs (Zis5 is great) and some tank destroyers. The 122/152mm guns are ok...but difficult to use as they take very long to reload.

(I am not sure, but i recall the depression issue more in the IS series...)

Edited by GhostSoph@psn

2 hours ago, Noir89 said:

I would highly suggest not doing that.

I would not do it either, but a very practical problem forces my hand - money.

My disposable income for online videogames is significantly lower compared to what it used to be, but I refuse to tackle War Thunder without a premium account or premium tanks. Due to this, I'd rather choose one nation and stick to that to keep the WT bill as bearable as possible.

A warning: many new players flock to Germany, the result is the teams are usually really bad. Once your past having the OP low-tier tanks 1.0 - 2.0 you'll often find yourself alone (maybe 1 or 2 teammates on other end of map) with 5 tanks rolling on your position - often within first 7 minutes of game. Not so bad once you get into Tigers and Panthers, but your team still eventually looses a lot - because Germany mains are mostly idiots who rely on armour and not having to think - the flip side of that is not being able to hurt German tanks head on unless you have one of the better US 5.7 (M36b with HEAT shell) or certain Russian shells. German not good for beginners anymore I would say, but if you can suffer through war thunder purgatory Germany gets a lot better 7.3 and up though (defn better than US, on even footing with Russia). 8.0 - 8.3 is also good for Germany. 8.0 US is one of my least favourite nation/battle rankings. It also has a serious disadvantage in high tier until you get to 10.7

If your goal is to get to the higher tiers quicker, you may want to consider a Minor nation that requires less tanks to unlock in each rank  (ie 4 tanks needed in rank V instead of 6 tanks needed). France is horrible for that though, forced to unlock 13 tanks between battle rating 6.7 and 7.7, I gave up. Italy is a unique fun nation with unique vehicles - you have 3 vehicles in a 6.3 lineup that can go 100kmh, but their lower tier vehicles may require more experienced players

Edited by NURFER
  • Upvote 2

On 08/06/2023 at 01:27, pihip said:

Hello War Thunder community, I joined the game about one month ago and kindly request your help.

I plan to fully focus on one nation's techtree at a time, but there's so much stuff available that I'm a bit overwhelmed and am having trouble choosing where to commit to. As of this post, USA or Germany look like a reasonable place to start, followed by more niche nations (Japan, Italy, China, and maybe France).

I'm fairly casual, so for now I wish to stick exclusively to Ground Arcade battles.

Knowing the above, which nation would you recommend I start with? Note that I don't mind starting with something that's not easy to master as long as it's fun to play with.

If you play Ground Arcade only, Italy and Japan can be a bit hard because of mostly thin armor. Their vehicles are better in Realistic mode.

China and SU imo are best options for arcade.

Edited by Охраняет-Камни
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Thank you all for your replies, they helped me revise my original plan (hopefully for the best). As this thread has become a bit cluttered I will open a new one later today.

On 17/06/2023 at 00:59, pihip said:

Thank you all.

Will keep your advice in mind once I select which nation to grind, though after some thinking I'll probably not touch Russia or China as their lack of gun depression looks like a terrible shortcoming.

Try Japan and Italy. They have interesting vehicles at Rank I and Rank II.