Things the Snail gets right....praise the Snail!

Toastfrenzy

Maybe a short thread, lets hope not.

Updates;

In the time I've been playing War Thunder I've never experienced a complete service outage post update. Started October 2014 and have downloaded every update on the day or release since then.

Yes there is 2-3 hours for the servers to be updated but when updated and the update is live and being downloaded and installed everything is fine - works like a dream. Not saying the content is always 100% - this is not what this thread is for.

Thanks for the smooth as butter update process Gaijin!

I'll highlight a very recent 8th June example of another flight sim which left me rather frustrated to say the least.

I got kicked from the game server - - unable to play standalone as no auth server available so showed I had no content, unable to log back in  - - website down and this continued for some time.

When I eventually got on the web site - Update was released, a fairly sizeable one - it was 51GB for me. Manually had to start the update and then started a crash and re start the update process as the load on the servers increased\decreased. Over 12 hrs to update and I'm up and running but there are still others reporting issues. Frustrating to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Toastfrenzy said:

Thanks for the smooth as butter update process Gaijin!

I respect your pov, but i have lost over the years hundreds of planes due to this "smooth as butter" update process.

Maybe it is different when you use PC, but updates on xbox are always "hard cuts" - so u get caught in a running match. 

All of a sudden you lose connection and you are required to update the game - and of course you lose your plane and you get charged with repair cost. Over the years this stuff became so annoying that i decided to avoid playing and i never use boosters on Tuesdays (main day for updates). My "Question to the Team" regarding this update processing (and reimbursement of repair cost) was never answered.

In addition i see a clear lack of quality controls in the update process, i mean just the treatment of af aaa, midfiield aaa and other aaa (look in the SB forum and their recent issues with ai Gepards) is a running gag. On top the fixes take ages or were unsolved after years. 

Last but not least some updates include lots of hidden and not addressed nerfs of loadouts or flight models - the bug reports addressing these issues are simply not processed. If you are lucky they just don't respond and fix it with another update. 

So, no offense man, but i am far away to praise gaijin for this - even if other games are much worse.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Uncle J Wick@live said:

Maybe it is different when you use PC, but updates on xbox are always "hard cuts" - so u get caught in a running match. 

In addition i see a clear lack of quality controls in the update process, i mean just the treatment of af aaa, midfiield aaa and other aaa (look in the SB forum and their recent issues with ai Gepards) is a running gag. On top the fixes take ages or were unsolved after years. 

Last but not least some updates include lots of hidden and not addressed nerfs of loadouts or flight models - the bug reports addressing these issues are simply not processed. If you are lucky they just don't respond and fix it with another update. 

So, no offense man, but i am far away to praise gaijin for this - even if other games are much worse.

I started out on PS4 for a couple years then moved onto a PC. I don't remember getting kicked from a match for an update as you have described. I think (guessing more like) players are not allowed to join the queue after a set time and suspect after a given amount of time the remaining matches\games are ended. Casualties are expected.

Having worked in a major online business, this was our approach even though we did service updates at 0200 - 0400 GMT so minimal customers affected but there were always some. Eventually, once properly load balanced and failed over site to site and services drained there were no casualties.

As WT has a massive global presence encompassing all the time zones I think being near the GMT zone +/- couple hours makes it easier to support as everyone is "at work" should the proverbial hit the fan. They also have a pre-defined start time for their server maintenance.

As for the content - yes I agree it does happen, more than we like, at times the content seems not to have been properly UAT'd at all. I remember once, before BX (Before X-Box) after one update over 50% of (mine, different % for everyone) spaded vehicals had to be re-spaded - due to a modification amendment on release - that was painful! No notice or notes in the release notes either.

As a process the WT update function is pretty slick, it delivers around 60GB to a truck load of players, globally all at the same time with no perceived down time (I know another laudable comment, sorry). 

Edited by Toastfrenzy
Added eventually ......
medal medal medal medal medal

8 minutes ago, Toastfrenzy said:

I think (guessing more like) players are not allowed to join the queue after a set time and suspect after a given amount of time the remaining matches\games are ended.

It would be great if they would act like this - unfortunately not. You get kicked out of running matches, ofc usually in a dogfight. I got caught some days ago - again....

12 minutes ago, Toastfrenzy said:

No notice or notes in the release notes either.

If you search through the announcements you find out nothing about a lot of interesting stuff.

Last year (i think it was with the Bv155 battle pass) all of a sudden a single 20mm HE shell could kill ai Tigers and Shermans from the front in Air RB. A totally unrealistic feature - being a game changer on certain maps.

No comment, no reaction, nada.

And 4 to 6 months later they changed it back and even direct hit with a 800kg bomb could not kill tanks on certain maps....

Just one example - the list is endless....

• Like 1

I'm an ex-PS4 player too and I don't remember having any hard cut during major updates on PS4 or on PC. Unless it's an exclusive issue to XBox. Major updates are always announced previously and if someone follows the official website should know when it will happen, during that time it is impossible to log in. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, sardinha08 said:

Unless it's an exclusive issue to XBox. Major updates are always announced previously and if someone follows the official website should know when it will happen, during that time it is impossible to log in. 

I use xbox only. And these "hard cuts" are not related to major updates only. Every update kicks you (in this case me) out of running matches.