Jeanne d'Arc - a real fire cracker! But not in a good way.

Josephs_Piano

My main impression of this ship is that it blows up.  A LOT! 

Regularly disintegrates vs anything that has any penetration - 4.5", 4.7", 5", 130mm - the larger DD guns are perfectly capable of turning your ship into flying metal at any range!  And of course larger guns too, but at 4.7 mercifully you don't face as many of those.

And to torpedoes too - a torpedo hit on hte magazine and you blow up - the armour is insufficient.

In return your 6" guns are fine vs DD's, but do not have enough penetration to do significant damage to any reasonably armoured ship - found myself opposite a Prinz Eugen - my salvoes hitting at 6 km were doing 1-2 crew casualties and little or no penetration damage.  I think I did him 2-3% crew casualties while being dismantled, and then I blew up to a 203mm shell.  Now 4.7 vs 5.7 you don't expect to win, but this was pathetic. 

Did manage a good exchange with a Furutaki - probably because it was shooting at something else.....but blew up from a torpedo before I could sink it :(

And it is slow - stock about 43kph IIKRC (in AB), maxing at 62 kph

Good AA does not make up for this.

It is a dog even at 4.7.

Edited by Josephs_Piano
forgot torpedoes...
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Well, I think the only reason they worked on it and implemented it is because way back (late 2019, early 2020 maybe, around that time), they did a stunt where people could choose which vehicles on the suggestion forum they wanted to be passed for consideration, and it was voted to be so (and I'm betting people mostly chose it because of the famous name, without even knowing what kind of ship it was). In reality, a school ship which was never designed for frontline warfare was never going to be a strong contender. I think it's even completely redundant with the Duguay Trouin and the Primauguet. It should have been replaced by something else. For example the Émile Bertin should have been in its place, and it should have led to a Galissonnière at the end of the branch IMO.

Edited by Arghail
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Personally, I think the specs are fair to adequate.
The base fuse is very punchy, and I personally have not had many situations where I had trouble with the firepower. It is certainly not the most decisive at 5.7-4.7, but I think that other countries' cruisers with BR 4.7 would be in a similar situation to this ship.
The defensive power is indeed critically lacking, but that doesn't mean that this firepower is equivalent to 4.3, which is a bit of a difficult question.

I and my friends have come to the conclusion that the Jeanne d'Arc is a reasonable cruiser, better than the Elbing, Etna, etc.

medal medal medal

11 hours ago, Alpine_Lynx said:

The defensive power is indeed critically lacking, but that doesn't mean that this firepower is equivalent to 4.3, which is a bit of a difficult question.

Indeed - I think the issue is BR compression, as usual :burned:

11 hours ago, Alpine_Lynx said:

I and my friends have come to the conclusion that the Jeanne d'Arc is a reasonable cruiser, better than the Elbing, Etna, etc.

Elbing is 3 generations earlier "Protected" cruiser that really has no place in the game IMO, but IMO Etna is better with much better survivability - it has less absolute firepower, but the 135's fire significantly faster, and are better vs DD's that are it's main opponent, and vs which the armour is, IMO, a significant advantage.

Edited by Josephs_Piano
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal