common tank weakspot guide

sollitdude

now that this thread has become a sticky, i will professionalize it!

Welcome to the common tank weakspot guide. For new and old players alike, you can read up on the strenghts and weaknesses of the common *non premium* tanks. maybe i will add premium tanks as this thread progresses, but for now, only the common tanks. I will try to keep it updated as much as possible.

LD3Z1DL.jpg

PrBjVjG.jpg

zhlnELO.png

Edited by sollitdude
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 25

so ive read up on a topic that someone wasnt satisfied with the wiki of warthunder. ive made this in about 3/4 hours, thought id share my knowledge with the people. 

anyone is free to help with this, and lets hope that the newbies can also learn from it, and become better at the game and have more fun at it.

[spoiler]

Q3w4f6n.png

[/spoiler]

You never should aim at the M4A1's frontal glacis UNLESS you have 140+ mm of penetration. 

medal

You never should aim at the M4A1's frontal glacis UNLESS you have 140+ mm of penetration. 

the m4 and m4a1 are different, in that the m4 has 2 extra armor plates for the driver and machinegunner, but the thickness of the upper glacis is the same, and can be penetrated by a panzer 3 50mm at 200 meters. so around 80-100 pen is enough, thought it could cause bounces.

these were only the shermans up to br 3.7. its true that the stronger a2 and a3 versions are required to have more than 120 pen to be effective, but even so, a panzer 4 with regular AP shells is still capable of defeating one at a range of 500 meters. this is just a basic guide that shows the universal weakspots of that type of tank. the m4 and m4a1 dont differ that much, as do the t-34's (slight upgrade with the turret) or the panzer 4 tanks (all versions have all over ammorack). im not going to discribe each and everyone of them as independant units, thought i might update it with the panzer 2 and the gepard, as ive noticed that alot of people have difficulty against them where it shouldnt have to.

Edited by sollitdude
  • Upvote 1

*updated march 18, added panzer 2 c/f.

so all the tanks you explained here  except kv1 are driving weakspots in itself and noone needs to aim at particular spots to penetrate them on average ... literally the least usefull tank guide i have seen not the worst just the least usefull... why not start with t34 , jumbo shermans and stuff like tigers instead you know tanks that ppl really complain about not being able to penetrate? when was the last time somebody complained about not penetrating a bt5 o0? 

Useful

do please put down effective armour at each spot so we know if we can pen at distance (say 100m since we need to precisely aim)

Weakness versus places that are great if penetrated need to be highlighted please.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

so all the tanks you explained here  except kv1 are driving weakspots in itself and noone needs to aim at particular spots to penetrate them on average ... literally the least usefull tank guide i have seen not the worst just the least usefull... why not start with t34 , jumbo shermans and stuff like tigers instead you know tanks that ppl really complain about not being able to penetrate? when was the last time somebody complained about not penetrating a bt5 o0? 

this is called a work in progress. i start with the newbie tanks, and will update it to include the heavier tanks as it comes. since all these tanks are until br 3.7, that alone took me 5/6 hours total and as you say, these are the driving weakspots, these are the easy ones. this is a weakspot guide mostly directed towards newbies. not only does it show weakspots, it also clearly tells them strenghts and weaknesses they have to take into consideration. one simple look through here, and a person might know within 5 minutes which tank line he might want to follow, instead of being uncertain about it and ask random people in the chat (i know how confusing that can be with so many different people talking through each others conversations) and now it will get 1 clear answer for all tanks at once coming from an experienced player.

ofcourse, as i said before, all advice is welcome. i may be experienced, but other people have other experiences, and if they tell them and they are sound, i will add them to the guide. so basically can everyone constribute to this.

• Upvote 1

Useful

do please put down effective armour at each spot so we know if we can pen at distance (say 100m since we need to precisely aim)

Weakness versus places that are great if penetrated need to be highlighted please.

it will require some editing, but i think this can be done.

march 18, also showing effective armor thickness on american tanks, german and russian will follow.

Edited by sollitdude

the m4 and m4a1 are different, in that the m4 has 2 extra armor plates for the driver and machinegunner, but the thickness of the upper glacis is the same, and can be penetrated by a panzer 3 50mm at 200 meters. so around 80-100 pen is enough, thought it could cause bounces.

these were only the shermans up to br 3.7. its true that the stronger a2 and a3 versions are required to have more than 120 pen to be effective, but even so, a panzer 4 with regular AP shells is still capable of defeating one at a range of 500 meters. this is just a basic guide that shows the universal weakspots of that type of tank. the m4 and m4a1 dont differ that much, as do the t-34's (slight upgrade with the turret) or the panzer 4 tanks (all versions have all over ammorack). im not going to discribe each and everyone of them as independant units, thought i might update it with the panzer 2 and the gepard, as ive noticed that alot of people have difficulty against them where it shouldnt have to.

M4A1s' frontal glacis is much more bouncer than the M4's frontal glacis, the 2 armor plates on the crew positions really don't make a difference at all... 

medal

Can someone de-mystify this inside wonderwall for me please?

http://screencast.com/t/3h4BTXHELVS

Edit: I added a direct comparison in order to put things into perspective. Feel free to escalate to bug reports as I cannot post everywhere yet.

Edited by R4v3N

Edit: I added a direct comparison in order to put things into perspective. Feel free to escalate to bug reports as I cannot post everywhere yet.

its not really a wonderwall. it shows the effective thickness from the angle and hight the camera is positioned at. if you would look flat at it, you would see that is the one and only side armor it has, and it would show that the effective thickness is around 160. if you look at a 45* angle at the side of the maus turret, it would show a value that says >500

http://imgur.com/UvUcUrh

ive simply changed the camera angles, so now the maus shows its over 500. that is not a bug, its simply how the armor preview works. it shows the armor thickness from the angle the camera is in.

that is not a secret second armor wall, that is tank viewer manipulation, and it is used to create unneccesary doubt in players, that isnt even there. please dont spread this image any further.

Edited by sollitdude

I see what you mean but still fail to understand the discrepancy if you take the "same" spot, angle etc on both tanks. Please take into account that IS4`s highlighted armour is behind skirts and the whole tracks as well, known for random ricochets.

Eventhough I appreciate a quick feedback in general am - as an admitting paying customer providing insights to improve something we both care about - sitting up when someone implies bad intention in various stalked first time posts of mine accusing me on schizophrenia (other thread):

"that is tank viewer manipulation, and it is used to create unneccesary doubt in players" accuses me of intentionally manipulating something (what for? to be "right"?), plus since you monitor the forum so closely, count the outcries and question your own objectivity first.

This instant zealous undermining and annihilation of justified questions ...not even claims and/or accusations in an official forum is giving not only a strong taste of censorship (ha, funny...WW2 déjà vu) but also a loss of credibility.

FYI: 2.3.3. Personal and group insults > Forum rules.

Edited by Auscam
Do not use red text

FYI: 2.3.3. Personal and group insults > Forum rules.

you are right.

im sorry picture for insulting you and im sorry that i said that you could create doubt with anyone who looks at you. you are a very pretty picture.

but raven, i wont say sorry to you. you are deliberately spreading this picture to cause confusion and extra worries for gaijin, who are already grossly understaffed. they cant handle the extra workload this can cause.

Edited by sollitdude
  • Upvote 2

Alright.

http://s232.photobucket.com/user/eduman32/media/mbt2-1.jpg.html

See how the tracks are beside the lower side hull?, the side armor actually extends further out on top of the track.

It is not mystical wonderwall, it is your lack of research and desire to call bias.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Awesome guide. Very helpful.

How about the IS-1? Would the KV section be the closest thing? I have difficultly penetrating it frontally.

Edited by NutellaArmor

Awesome guide. Very helpful.

How about the IS-1? Would the KV section be the closest thing? I have difficultly penetrating it frontally.

im busy updating the vehicles as we speak. the next update will be tanks up to br 5.7, but as usual, it takes some time, especially now i also provide the armor thicknesses.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...