tips and tricks

cosyouranub

Here are some tips and tricks i have learnt, while some are obvious, some might be useful, some only refer to lower tiers as well

LEARN THE MAPS!!!!

1. Never show your side to the enemy, its how i get most kills, most of the time you wont even have seen me before i kill you

2. If there are two enemies coming at you, and they have seen you, hit the lead tank first, but if they have not seen you always take the rear tank,,,, as then you can take the lead straight away while it is trying to find you, in this situation,  if you take the lead first, the rear tank will kill you.

3. use artillery for scouting. it lets you know  if enemies  are approaching even when out of sightline, it even tells you how many enemy

4. watch where planes bomb., friendly planes will drop bombs near enemies  and will scout enemies for you

5.if a cap is taken and then lost, you can do two things, either cap quickly  or wait as an enemy or two will try to take it back, you can get a position and kill both

6. The best position to kill an enemy is from side or rear, there are places on maps where you can advance in enemy territory and  have cover on 3 sides and enemies come past you without knowing you are there.. thats easy kills...if i get into one of those positions, i usually get at least 10 kills

7. There are labels below nametags  the ones to watch out for are 'armoured officer' and 'champion', players with these tags are vets, they will usually kill you 3-5 times more often than you  kill them, dont stand and fight them,. you'll lose, they will know where to one shot you and kill you , if they see they are tagged' tank destroyer,' 'conqueror' or 'superior', you're probably already dead.

(players with tanks in winter camouflage will also be better players, they have to get a number of kills before they earn the new camo.)

8, if the player in front of you gets one shotted.... don't go in the same place to see what hit him as the same will happen to you

9. If the player in front of you disappears from the map. see 8 above

10. often if you are hit, and the enemy is close, you are as good to go straight at him, and then pen him from the side, than try to reverse, as its much harder  for the enemy to swing a turret round a long way when you are close, than a short turn of the turret  when you reverse/go sideways... with a stug/ tank destroyer, this is vital

11. when you get to see the position of the enemy, if they are side on to you, keep firing until they see you, if they are front  on to you, fire and hide, they will see you

12. Always always always, if you are on the move  and stop, do not fire until the brakes of your tank fix your position, there is always a small movement of the barrel which means you will probably miss your enemy and then they will sight you, if you wait that one minisecond, you will get a clean shot and probably kill

13.  even if you dont get a green or red flag, but you can see an enemy, for example, a shed/ fence/ stone wall is causing obstruction between you and the enemy, you can still kill as the missile will often go through the obstruction, i have many kills this way

14. If you kill someone, and they are a good player, they will do two things, a) put artillery on you, b) come at you a different way and try to flank your position, therefore dont stay where you are  find another position, preferably they way you know that they have to approach and kill them again.

15.if all the enemy is at your spawn.... dont return, you will not kill them or take one with you,........ about ten people will hit you at once.

16. in a city map. watch the map all the time, watch friendly tanks all around you, if they disappear from streets above or below you, you are about to get flanked by an enemy, in the open maps you can see them approaching, in cities you cant.

17. If you are ever in a plane ( and i hate this) take out enemy SPAA with bombs first, because a) they are easy to kill with bombs, and b) planes after you are then less likely to get shot down.

18. in arcade games camouflage is pointless, so make your tank as bright as possible, make sure the enemy can see who is killing them

19. different tanks need to be played in different ways and suit different player personalities, find out which one suits  you, personally i cant use tank destroyers or stugs, they just dont suit me

20, Dont get angry, if you get angry, you dont think straight and the player who just killed you is going to kill you again. ( me usually), 

please feel free to add to this, but only constructive ones please.

Edited by cosyouranub
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 10
medal

I have 2 tips to add:

1) Heightened Situational Awareness when there are enemy planes in the skies. If you keep an eye on them, you have a VERY HIGH chance of getting away from them. Also, keep an ear on the whistling sound that bombs make in relation to where the plane is. Doesn't make much difference, but it can save you time and time again. My death rate due to planes has gone down by about 1000% since I learnt how to avoid plane attacks.

2) To all those moaning about the BR changes and how 6.7 has been ruined, I have a PARTIAL solution: for Germany, ditch the King Tiger altogether, and then:

Learn tank anatomy. Hone reaction speeds and mouse aiming skills. Acquire a Jagdtiger. Point gun at enemy tanks. Push mouse button. Watch enemy tank explode. Repeat process until either killed or game ends.

You won't regret it, it's fun watching those post war brutes get absolutely destroyed by 128mm of pure fury  :yes: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Great list. I copied and sent to my squad mate.

I would add that I think learning tank anatomy and capabilities of both your tank and opponent's is second in importance to learning the maps.

medal medal

Great list. I copied and sent to my squad mate.

I would add that I think learning tank anatomy and capabilities of both your tank and opponent's is second in importance to learning the maps.

I'd expand on that and say use the Xray view in the hanger to figure out the weak points on your enemies and yourself. You don't need to own the tank to view it's Xray.

On some tanks you can have 3 crew in a straight line from the front, know when you've got one of those and try to hide that side of the tank or you can lose a lot of crew with one shot.

Explore the maps especially if a game is going badly. You can sometimes just stumble across a great spot.

Beware anyone with any non-stock cammo not just winter.

In arcade the colour cross target lies. Don't trust it.

Shoot from a level platform or learn to judge the deflection if you're angled.

Hi

:good:  :yes:

1 True but difficult. German boxes suffer from the front.

2. 2 tanks. I try to immobilise the first tank and fight with him using it as a shiled with the 2nd.

8. Similar to yours: If a teammate stops and go back after looking one street cross don't run into this cross --> you are dead

10. Very usefull for tanks without turret, and with M3 and Shermans. I will add that help also 1st shoot to their orugas.

12 alternative --> don't brake the tank, let the engine stop it softly and shoot as soon as u can. It's better to shoot first and possibly fail than don't shoot and be killed

14 Even if you consider the killed player Ace or bad tanker. After killing in the same spot more than 1 tank you'd better change the position. Try to calculate the time your victim could need to find a position to revenge on you. Many, many players Aces or not will try to revenge.

15 enemy at spawn --> Send a fast message to the team. They could spawn at the alternative spawn or return to base to recover the base.

____

more

23. Teamwork is vital to win a battle. You don't need to talk only read the map and see where your team is. 2 or 3 tanks close and well placed could dominate and area.

24. Choose the spawn at the begin of every battle with 2 available. People are lazy and the game many times also--> all team in one spawn is a bad begin and possible will have a bad end. Next spawns --> read the map and choose the one better tactically

25 If you are thinking in spawn in a SPAA (typical after beeing bombed 2 or 3 times) review first the team list. SPAA never could be the 25% of the team. I've lost many battles because my team had 3 or more spaas at the same time

26 Your tank got fire, but you can move and fire, and the enemy shooting you is visible --> move and/or Shoot first and then use the extinguisher.  . The extinguisher  will block your tank some seconds --> you are dead.

Edited by *Larguilutxo
medal

I have 2 tips to add:

1) Heightened Situational Awareness when there are enemy planes in the skies. If you keep an eye on them, you have a VERY HIGH chance of getting away from them. Also, keep an ear on the whistling sound that bombs make in relation to where the plane is. Doesn't make much difference, but it can save you time and time again. My death rate due to planes has gone down by about 1000% since I learnt how to avoid plane attacks.

2) To all those moaning about the BR changes and how 6.7 has been ruined, I have a PARTIAL solution: for Germany, ditch the King Tiger altogether, and then:

Learn tank anatomy. Hone reaction speeds and mouse aiming skills. Acquire a Jagdtiger. Point gun at enemy tanks. Push mouse button. Watch enemy tank explode. Repeat process until either killed or game ends.

You won't regret it, it's fun watching those post war brutes get absolutely destroyed by 128mm of pure fury  :yes: 

LOL seriously, dude, you were doing so well with point 1 since I also agree with you on that, just listen and manoeuvre to avoid planes - works more often then not.

BUT

Point 2 - really ? that's you tip to new(er) players  - you might as well say don't play the German line beyond BR 5.7

And FYI the JT dies pretty much all the time to planes, since as you point out in serial 1, its too slow to effectively move out of the way.  Most players at BR 6.7+ are not stupid and no one will let a JT sit in the well known fire corridors on most maps for too long. That's my experience anyway.

And just to contribute rather than gob off ;)

Please, please, please, please CAP ! Winning is Soooooooooo much easier when you are defending a cap which is bleeding tickets off the other team. Forget the risk vs reward rubbish, there isn't any reward worth mentioning for capping, BUT it is an enabler to winning. It also has a number of second order effects. It converges the game around defending caps. So those who like to camp now have something to do but with an actually effective outcome, and those who know how tanks are meant to be used can go forward and harass the known avenues of approach all the way to the EN spawn.

The other note about capping (and winning - for those that like that sort of thing) is that in the Domination game there are two points which will be mutually supporting. Don't waste time with the 3rd until you have locked down the previous 2. Too often do I see teams starbursting across the 3 points - not required !

You only need to hold 2 IOT have the advantage, and begin to deplete the ticket count of the EN.

Another tip relates to your tank set up.

IF you want to win, do not mix your BR's ! Use common sense and understand that you're an important part of the team. SO, pick a BR and then play at that BR until you have 3 tanks to move into the next BR bracket. Tiers are irrelevant and a throwback to some early dev work, so ignore them. You are matched on the BR of your vehicle. Please understand that when you include a BR5 KV-2 along with a bunch of your fav T-34 (1940-42, STZ) from the early clubbing days. At BR5 its the 57 mod44/85s or you will be the one getting clubbed. This also ensures that your team has the endurance to win, assuming that you have relative player skill/experience parity across the two teams.

Edited by Raf1307
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

#1 Obviously you're one of those glory killers above all else.  Pretty much everything thing you said is pointless when sitting in a capture zone capping the point. with the exception of when possible protect the sides of your tank while capturing a point.  capture the point and then retreat to a abush point to defend the zones. a good player shouldn't have to go hunting for tanks to kill.  If you are defending the point all smart tankers on the other team will come to you.  I never have trouble finding tanks to kill because i am always within sight of the zone i have helped captured. 

#2 I almost never get killed by planes or bombers in my SPAA.  I shoot and move effectively killing several bombers and fighters along the way i welcome the idiot in a bomber who attempts to kamikaze his bomber or plane into me because they are then sacrificing those planes and bombs and not killing my team with them. (check my spaa service record as proof.)  i also use my spaa to capture zones and kill tanks.  in fact like i mentioned tanks kill me more then planes.  but if you look at my spaa record this doesnt happen often.  simple thing in spaa is always keep clear areas in front of you and always keep moving.

• Upvote 1

BUT

Point 2 - really ? that's you tip to new(er) players  - you might as well say don't play the German line beyond BR 5.7

And FYI the JT dies pretty much all the time to planes, since as you point out in serial 1, its too slow to effectively move out of the way.  Most players at BR 6.7+ are not stupid and no one will let a JT sit in the well known fire corridors on most maps for too long. That's my experience anyway.

Oh so THAT'S why I have a 7.5/1 kill/death ratio with and am nearly always capable of playing an entire match with only one Jagdtiger...

Not everyone can play SPG's well, but as it happens I can, and I'm proud of it.

Besides, if you're up to the point where 6.7 is a pain in the backside, you're probably already capable of researching the Jagdtiger, so yes that is my advice to other players. The OP never specified to whom these tips and tricks should be directed to, so my point stands: learn to play the Jagdtiger and it will pay you back handsomely.

Oh so THAT'S why I have a 7.5/1 kill/death ratio with and am nearly always capable of playing an entire match with only one Jagdtiger...

Not everyone can play SPG's well, but as it happens I can, and I'm proud of it.

Besides, if you're up to the point where 6.7 is a pain in the backside, you're probably already capable of researching the Jagdtiger, so yes that is my advice to other players. The OP never specified to whom these tips and tricks should be directed to, so my point stands: learn to play the Jagdtiger and it will pay you back handsomely.

No worries mate, I believe you but as you read throughout the threads its not about how well you play, its about a tip for "presumably" new(er) players since by the time you get to BR7+ you shouldn't need too many tips.

P.S. saying that you play well in a JT is not a tip ;)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

No worries mate, I believe you but as you read throughout the threads its not about how well you play, its about a tip for "presumably" new(er) players since by the time you get to BR7+ you shouldn't need too many tips.

P.S. saying that you play well in a JT is not a tip ;)

It's aimed at those players who vent and rage about the BR changes and it's me saying that if a player like me (not ever going to be a top player or mentioned in hushed whispers or whatever and with not particularly flash stats all round) can play the Jagdtiger well against Cold War tank spam, then there is some hope ahead for their own German tanks. So yes, I'd say it's a tip, seeing as actually playing the game is much more useful to everyone than raging about it on a forum (it's knowledge about how the road ahead can be worthwhile).

As for "shouldn't need tips at BR 7+", I wholeheartedly disagree. There are many players at 7.0+ who need to learn a whole lot of things so that they can actually contribute to the game consistently rather than just some of the time. To each his own, however.

I agree. there are some players ( myself included ) who rushed to get to the highest level and dont learn the game on the way. The tips are relevant to every level.

I actually prefer tier 1-3 because the game is much faster there. gameplay is different at the higher tiers because of the sloooooooooooow reload rate, so its much more fire and cover at that level, wheras at tier 1/2 i'm happy to take on 3-4 enemies, its much much harder at higher levels

medal

great tips, I've learned all pretty much the hard way.

I have to dispute #15.  You have about 10seconds of invulnerability when you respawn, but can still fire.  I fired on newly spawned tanks, watching my shot go straight thru them, leaving me scratching my head as they exact revenge, and I've had shots go thru me as I managed to take out two before my final blow-up. 

If you move I think the invulnerability is lost, but I haven't tried that theory.  You just have to decide if taking out that 1 or 2 tanks is worth the the barrage that is sure to hit you when the 10seconds runs out

And there seems to be on 10 second spawn invulnerability from bombs, which make no sense to me at least.  I always try to get out of the incoming bomb path though, therefore negating the 10 seconds.  I just have to sit through a spawn bombing and see what happens.

Edited by crash1269
medal

• 4 years later...

I think that learning the specs of your plane is very valuable. For example, if you have a very good climb rate, you can use that to your advantage to escape the enemy. Also, learning real aerial maneuvers is an extremely valuable skill. I have escaped many a plane on my tail with the Snap-roll, the Immelman, and the Split-S. 

Not sure why this was necro'ed but it has some bad advice. 

Don't waste your bomber bombs on SPAA's aim for heavy and infantry tanks. Fighters should take out SPAA's once they've shot down enemy fighters/bombers. 

With two tanks coming for you you try and kill the one that is most likely to kill you - don't worry about lead and rear tanks. 

Edited by Sir_Campalot
medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 year later...

Here's my tips:

1. Drop artillery on TD/SPG icons as they are usually more likely to die. 

2. Don't group up with other tanks unless necessary, you will just get bombed.

3. LEARN WEAKSPOTS, especially at lower tiers knowing weakspots of tanks like the Sherman, T-34, and KV series is essential

4. If you see someone with the "Superior", "Armored Officer", "Champion", or "God of War" tags you can follow them around to learn good positioning as these are very skilled players.

5.Do not rush one line of the tech tree, having lineups makes your battles much easier.

• 1 year later...