How to get maximum score ( with light/medium tanks ) ?

hemmerling

How to get maximum score ( with light/medium tanks ) ?

My first German tank in a battle is usually the "Panzer III F"

http://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Pz.Kpfw._III_Ausf._F

There is a good video

How “NOT TO LOSE” playing light tanks - War Thunder Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIzgQClUmUw&list=PLSQnptTRNKgHpXG9QxsUtr3rraV2liU7c&index=4

a)

My experience so far to make points:

1. Capture the flag - conquer the next-best landmark A,B,C as one of the first, by your high speed tank

Remember for Germany, "Panzer IIIF" is the most advanced fast tank ( 75km/h high speed vs. 59km/h of later more advanced tanks ).

I experience watching UDSSR T34 tanks that are even faster than this vehicle...

As explained in the video, after capturing the flag, get off the landmark, return to a safe place. But even if I try this, I am often shot dead from the back, as I selected the wrong escape track...

2. Re-capture the flag, even with one of your next 2 vehicles :-), you will get additional bonus points

Fly with planes as-much-as-you-can, while keeping your tank in a safe position.

Ok you may kill other planes, as fighter ( Spitfire, Messerschmidt 109 ).

If you hit ground vehicles - no matter if as fighter plane, ground attac plane or even bomber, usually you won´t kill it. But if your team is winning, all the hit enemies will be killed by your team, and you will get points as co-killer later :-)

Use artillery instead of your gun :-), be an "artillery observer" :-).

I am not sure if most players activate artillery as often as they can ( well not if you are in a fight, but artillery option is saved for later if you have time...)

To get your first artillery strike, it seems to be helpful to  do 2 or 3 gun shots, even if there is no enemy. Then "suddenly" you get the artillery option.

b)

But I also have questions:

Is there an official document where the scoring ( how to get points with killing enemies, conquering a flag ..) is explained?

As I didn´t find anything useful,

but just that which was not really useful (?):

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/193074-someone-to-explain-ground-forces-score-system/

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/244412-how-is-score-calculated/

I ask here further:

When a battle starts at the base, some players shoot with machine gun and gun - do they make points with that, or get the artillery option earlier?

Does it help to drive the vehicle around ( in areas without combat, safely ) and to shoot with gun and machinegun regularly ( if there is no combat, i.e. no enemies ), to make points ?

So how to get additional points - with a weak vehicle - without need to kill heavy enemies which is not likely for light/medium tanks?

In the video

How not to lose in Urban Locations - War Thunder Video Tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YThpIErhbg&index=7&list=PLSQnptTRNKgHpXG9QxsUtr3rraV2liU7c

it is claimed that keeping a landmark for a certain time is important, not killing all enemies attacking the landmark.

So does keeping on the landmark makes points?!

---

Please don´t close the thead, but instead let us collect tips for low/medium tanks.

Sincerely

Rolf

Edited by hemmerling
medal medal medal

that tank might be one of the worst at that level.. to get more points, play a better tank.. the  Pz IVE is a lower  BR but a much much better tank,.... ideal line up for germans at low level  of 2.0 is PZ IV e, Gepard and Panzer 38t f. ... 

medal

Usually I play with my strongest tanks for the other 2 lifes :-), best tank ist "Panzer IV G" so far.

But your suggestions are not suitable for "capture the flag", as I told the official highspeed of my tank is 75km/h high speed vs. 59km/h of later more advanced tanks, and 44km/h of "Panzer IV G".

Means that at the start of battle, I am usually able to be faster than my blue buddies, so I might arrive in time at the A/B/C landmark, to catch the score for capturing the flag.

Means that lighter tanks like mine accellerate better and so get higher speed, I often get much more than 44 km/h... especially on streets.

My Panzer III F crew is on level 39.5 already :-)

So if you like, list the highspeed tanks of all nations, for comparison.

Panzer III F, Battle rating 2.3, Maximum speed 75km/h

( while

Panzer III J and further, Battle rating 2.7, Maximum speed 59km/h

Panzer IV G and further, Battle rating 4.3, Maximum speed 44km/h

)

I tested Panzer III F versus Panzer III J and experienced to keep with Panzer III F,.... due to the better acceleration and higher effective speed in battle race for capture the flag....

Gepard - is not a tank :-(

PZ IV E  is much slower than my Panzer IIIF

Panzer 38t  is much slower than my Panzer IIIF

Edited by hemmerling
medal medal medal

the way to survive is not to be the first to capture the flag , you usually end up being alone and ganked by the enemy. you dont get more points by capturing the flag and being killed immediately. play the game some more,, that lineup is the best at your level, they tend to survive more than the faster tanks...

Here are some tips and tricks i have learnt, while some are obvious, some might be useful, some only refer to lower tiers as well

LEARN THE MAPS!!!!

1. Never show your side to the enemy, its how i get most kills, most of the time you wont even have seen me before i kill you

2. If there are two enemies coming at you, and they have seen you, hit the lead tank first, but if they have not seen you always take the rear tank,,,, as then you can take the lead straight away while it is trying to find you, in this situation,  if you take the lead first, the rear tank will kill you.

3. use artillery for scouting. it lets you know  if enemies  are approaching even when out of sightline, it even tells you how many enemy

4. watch where planes bomb., friendly planes will drop bombs near enemies  and will scout enemies for you

5.if a cap is taken and then lost, you can do two things, either cap quickly  or wait as an enemy or two will try to take it back, you can get a position and kill both

6. The best position to kill an enemy is from side or rear, there are places on maps where you can advance in enemy territory and  have cover on 3 sides and enemies come past you without knowing you are there.. thats easy kills...if i get into one of those positions, i usually get at least 10 kills

7. There are labels below nametags  the ones to watch out for are 'armoured officer' and 'champion', players with these tags are vets, they will usually kill you 3-5 times more often than you  kill them, dont stand and fight them,. you'll lose, they will know where to one shot you and kill you , if they see they are tagged' tank destroyer,' 'conqueror' or 'superior', you're probably already dead.

(players with tanks in winter camouflage will also be better players, they have to get a number of kills before they earn the new camo.)

8, if the player in front of you gets one shotted.... don't go in the same place to see what hit him as the same will happen to you

9. If the player in front of you disappears from the map. see 8 above

10. often if you are hit, and the enemy is close, you are as good to go straight at him, and then pen him from the side, than try to reverse, as its much harder  for the enemy to swing a turret round a long way when you are close, than a short turn of the turret  when you reverse/go sideways... with a stug/ tank destroyer, this is vital

11. when you get to see the position of the enemy, if they are side on to you, keep firing until they see you, if they are front  on to you, fire and hide, they will see you

12. Always always always, if you are on the move  and stop, do not fire until the brakes of your tank fix your position, there is always a small movement of the barrel which means you will probably miss your enemy and then they will sight you, if you wait that one minisecond, you will get a clean shot and probably kill

13.  even if you dont get a green or red flag, but you can see an enemy, for example, a shed/ fence/ stone wall is causing obstruction between you and the enemy, you can still kill as the missile will often go through the obstruction, i have many kills this way

14. If you kill someone, and they are a good player, they will do two things, a) put artillery on you, b) come at you a different way and try to flank your position, therefore dont stay where you are  find another position, preferably they way you know that they have to approach and kill them again.

15.if all the enemy is at your spawn.... dont return, you will not kill them or take one with you,........ about ten people will hit you at once.

16. in a city map. watch the map all the time, watch friendly tanks all around you, if they disappear from streets above or below you, you are about to get flanked by an enemy, in the open maps you can see them approaching, in cities you cant.

17. If you are ever in a plane ( and i hate this) take out enemy SPAA with bombs first, because a) they are easy to kill with bombs, and b) planes after you are then less likely to get shot down.

18. in arcade games camouflage is pointless, so make your tank as bright as possible, make sure the enemy can see who is killing them

19. different tanks need to be played in different ways and suit different player personalities, find out which one suits  you, personally i cant use tank destroyers or stugs, they just dont suit me

20, Dont get angry, if you get angry, you dont think straight and the player who just killed you is going to kill you again. ( me usually), 

medal

Thanks,

and faithfully waiting here for other tips & tricks.

I indeed have the problem to leave a captured flag landmark without beeing killed...

or what do do next with the weak vehicle.

Suggestion: There must be an option to change the vehicle without loosing it.

Sincerely

Rolf

medal medal medal

I'm aware that you have asked about medium and light tanks but anyway:
You can get a lot of points just taking hits (I'm serious). Some heavy tanks are meant to draw enemy fire and the game mechanics consider this. Just angle your tank at a good distance and check by yourself. Notorius examples: German KV1-B, Churchill, 3 inch Gun Carrier.

Regarding your questions:
1- points - capping: 300, killing: 200+, critical hit: 100+, airplane: 150+, assist: depends (sorry, no table, just roughly estimatives);
2- machineguns: newbies and smartasses; gun: smartasses, accident or reloading a different ammo;
3- don't think so, guess not;
4- cap, artillery, planes, hits, spotting, teamwork awards (stay at 100m max range from your squadmate - green name), take hits.

Edit: language filter. Edited by Hammmster
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hi Rolf!

[...]

Fly with planes as-much-as-you-can, while keeping your tank in a safe position.

Ok you may kill other planes, as fighter ( Spitfire, Messerschmidt 109 ).

If you hit ground vehicles - no matter if as fighter plane, ground attac plane or even bomber, usually you won´t kill it. But if your team is winning, all the hit enemies will be killed by your team, and you will get points as co-killer later :-)

I´m a bad fighter pilot, so I wait for enough points to fly a bomber. When in a bomber try to escape red fighters and bomb

1. tank groups! better chance to hit one or even more enemies at once -> multi strike -> more additional points

2. enemies in good positions you can´t kill with tanks

3. SPG: weak armor, better chance for critical or deadly hit

4. SPAA: weak armor, less SPAA next time. Do not attack head on!

When in a fighter and red has a bomber:

You have to protect your tanks!

1. KILL THE RED BOMBER

2. KILL THE RED BOMBER

3. KILL THE RED BOMBER (ram him if you can´t shoot him down!)

4. kill the red fighters

5. report flanking enemy tanks (press "X, T, 1, 7")

6. attack weak ground targets (open SPAA, open SPG) and kill their crew

When in a fighter and blue has bomber:

You have to protect your bomber!

1. KILL THE RED FIGHTER

2. KILL THE RED FIGHTER

3. KILL THE RED FIGHTER (ram him if you can´t shoot him down!)

4. attack SPAA to distract them from the blue bomber

5. report flanking enemy tanks (press "X, T, 1, 7")

6. attack weak ground targets (open SPG) and kill their crew

DO NOT ATTACK MEDIUM OR HEAVY TANKS WITH A FIGHTER!

Use artillery instead of your gun :-), be an "artillery observer" :-).

I am not sure if most players activate artillery as often as they can ( well not if you are in a fight, but artillery option is saved for later if you have time...)

You can use arty to scout: Is there an enemy behind the hill or behind the corner? Just check with arty and count the hits.

Prefer weak targets like SPG or SPAA!

b)

But I also have questions:

Is there an official document where the scoring ( how to get points with killing enemies, conquering a flag ..) is explained?

As I didn´t find anything useful,

but just that which was not really useful (?):

Never seen one. Just fight as good as you can! :gunner:

AND HAVE FUN! :Ds It´s a game. I don´t care about points or SL.

As far as I have seen you get different points for killing different enemies.

I don´t know for sure but I think for killing a Tiger with a Pz III you should get more points than for killing a Pz III with a Tiger.

When a battle starts at the base, some players shoot with machine gun and gun - do they make points with that, or get the artillery option earlier?

No hits - no points - no arty! Only brainless kids trying their guns or someone with wrong ammo in ammo slot 1.

Lots of players don´t know how to change ammo slots before the battle starts.

(Choose tank, rightclick ammo slot, change ammo)

Does it help to drive the vehicle around ( in areas without combat, safely ) and to shoot with gun and machinegun regularly ( if there is no combat, i.e. no enemies ), to make points ?

No points for nonsense! But when you are close to the enemy and you can see the white of their eyes, you get points even if you do not fight - just for scouting them and being in danger.

Just try it: drive around your spawn and fire all your ammo. Then press TAB and check your points!

So how to get additional points - with a weak vehicle - without need to kill heavy enemies which is not likely for light/medium tanks?

In the video [...] it is claimed that keeping a landmark for a certain time is important, not killing all enemies attacking the landmark.

So does keeping on the landmark makes points?!

No points when there are no enemies around. It doesn´t matter if you are on the landmark or miles away.

You recieve points when you see or hit an enemy and when he hits you, too.

And you recieve points just for being close to the enemy.

Try it! Hide near enemy positions, press TAB and watch your points rising (slowly).

But when on a CAP you probably will be attacked and THEN you will earn points.

There ist another important reason to keep on landmarks:

As long as you survive in the circle even 15 enemies couldn´t capture it back.

Other ways to get more points with weak tanks:

Hit (even with machine gun or arty) and hide: no kills - but some assists are worth a lot, too.

Stay close to your squadmate and earn points when he kills an enemy.

Stay in third line and report enemies to your team (press "x,t,1,7").

:salute:

BTW: die Liste mit den 20 Punkten von cosyouranub ist schon genial. Auswendig lernen!

(Hab ihm ein "Thanks for advice!" spendiert, so bedankt man sich hier.)

;)s

Edit: some missing letters

Edited by _ItZzWar_
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

Point 13. Fences. I hate fences because even though the crosshair is on the enemy the litlle white cross says "no !! " and that split second indecisiveness means I don't get the first shot :(

Always use the mg on fences before they become a problem.