Junkers Ju 88 S-3

Chomusuke1

Add in the Junkers Ju 88 S-3?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Add in the Junkers Ju 88 S-3?

The Junkers Ju 88 S-1, S-2, & S-3 were the final bomber models of the Ju 88 series. Equipped with the more powerful BMW 801 or Jumo 213 engine, they were the fastest of all the Ju 88 bombers with a maximum speed in excess of 600 km/h. Armed with an MG 131 in the B-Stand (rear dorsal position), its bombload, carried internally & externally in the forward bomb bay and on ETC 1000 wing racks, comprised of the following loads:
1 x 1,800 kg
1 x 1,400 kg
2 x 1,000 kg + 18 x 65 kg
2 x 1,000 kg
1 x 1,000 kg
2 x 500 kg + 18 x 65 kg
2 x 500 kg
2 x 250 kg + 18 x 65 kg
2 x 250 kg
18 x 65 kg
In War Thunder, the Ju 88 S would fill the gap between 1944 - 1945 as the game's newest Ju 88 model, the A-4, is completely out of place for late war maps & events/scenarios. About 423 Ju 88 S were newly produced or converted from older variants throughout 1944. This suggestion is specifically for the Junkers Ju 88 S-3 bomber although I would personally perfer the Ju 88 S-2 with enlarged wooden bomb bay and unknown mystery bombload with extra rear firing MG 81Zs (if someone could help pin down the bombload on the Ju 88 S-2 I would make a suggestion for the S-2 as well). Main improvements of the Ju 88 S-3 over the current Ju 88 A-4 would be:

~140 km/h increase in maximum speed
More powerful Jumo 213
Flame damper tubes
MG 131 in the B-Stand
Maximum bombload of 3,170 kg

Some more information:

Xc6ICd5.jpg

WxFxdZ8.jpg

wN5PUUl.jpg

ml78Vtm.jpg

m8FWRij.jpg

IaoGQQQ.jpg

CsaSDCn.jpg

5q1T0o1.jpg

pBFtMSN.jpg

OnsW7oh.jpg

GHkj71J.jpg

A0JRCnr.jpg

9lNmGpQ.jpg

cnhDqt5.jpg

zd66PU7.jpg

Nl8jSrm.jpg

jUab69W.jpg

VNpyC3Q.jpg

zlM9lY7.jpg

a2NQft9.jpg

AZvWrJ4.jpg

pyLG1cv.jpg

l8XAjG5.jpg

PUCkJ0W.jpg

wCNRC5j.jpg

VaMUSYp.jpg

BCRtECh.jpg

VebwCqr.jpg

4081q93.jpg

Manuals:

Ju 88 G-1, R-2, S-1, T-1 BDV-Fl.pdf
Ju 88 G-1, R-2, S-1, T-1 BDV-Fl-Beiheft 1.pdf
Ju 88 G-2, G-6, S-3, T-3 BDV-Fl-Entwurf.pdf

http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/archiv/Dokumente/ABC/j/Junkers/Ju 88/Ju 88 S-1.pdf
http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/archiv/Dokumente/ABC/j/Junkers/Ju 88/Luft 2088 S_1 Teil_12G Beiheft_1.pdf
http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/archiv/Dokumente/ABC/j/Junkers/Ju 88/Luft 2088 S_1.pdf
https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ju-88/KG66.html

Edited by Chomusuke1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 7

11 hours ago, Princess_Pinch said:

Open for discussion

Unspoiled the pics. Forgive me and my old age but doesn't putting pics in spoilers eventually result in their loss/death as they get no views, clicks, or traffic?

My other thread seems just fine with unspoiled pics

11 hours ago, Princess_Pinch said:

Stealing my Avatar is not cool

Also who does not like Chomusuke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4jxHayUf2M

Edited by Chomusuke1

4 hours ago, Chomusuke1 said:

Unspoiled the pics. Forgive me and my old age but doesn't putting pics in spoilers eventually result in their loss/death as they get no views, clicks, or traffic?

My other thread seems just fine with unspoiled pics

No, nothing gets lost when put in a spoiler. oO

I mean we don't have a rule against it, but it makes your post harder to read, since you have technical informations mixed with just pictures of the aircraft. 

4 hours ago, Chomusuke1 said:

Also who does not like Chomusuke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4jxHayUf2M

Stil not a reason to just copy it, i am sure there are plenty other gifs of her out there. :(

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

20 hours ago, Z3r0_ said:

Looks like a good plane to bridge the gap between the He 111H-16 and the Me 264

The 88 S-3 would be more appropriate around the 217 K-1/M-1 since it is faster than both but has about 830 kg less in bombs

8 hours ago, Princess_Pinch said:

No, nothing gets lost when put in a spoiler. oO

Ok then. Ill keep that in mind and spoil everything if I ever make another suggestion (for a Fw 200 C-4 or Ju 388 K-1??)

10 minutes ago, Chomusuke1 said:

Gaijin, your Halloween event could feature this spooky schnellbomber. Just throwing this idea out there...

Gave me a good chuckle, thanks, I needed that.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I skipped the Ju88s completely because I didn't stay on low tiers very long. After a few years I've come to appreciate that the most enjoyable experience of the game comes at low tiers and the Ju88 have become a great addition to my line ups. More of these would be welcome. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, Matt_82 said:

I skipped the Ju88s completely because I didn't stay on low tiers very long. After a few years I've come to appreciate that the most enjoyable experience of the game comes at low tiers and the Ju88 have become a great addition to my line ups. More of these would be welcome. 

Same, I really enjoy them.

Wait I’m dumb babby I +1’ed this twice. Also, you should do more suggestions, I loved the read on this one. I’m currently gathering data for the FiSk 199. :salute:

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 15:50, Solarmod said:

Also, you should do more suggestions, I loved the read on this one

If I have the time, I will do one for the Fw 200 C-4 before Christmas

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I do seem to recall that the enlarged bomb bay of the S-2 (which had been tried previously on an A variant) was rejected for negatively impacting performance too much.  The S-3, on the other hand, should be just fine.  It'll definitely have to be played as a low-altitude bomber though, as one of the trade-offs made to improve the S model's performance was the removal of the ventral gondola (which means no ventral defenses protecting your low six o'clock, something anybody who's flown the American twin-engined bombers can probably appreciate).

Edited by Z3r0_
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 19/09/2020 at 18:19, Z3r0_ said:

It'll definitely have to be played as a low-altitude bomber though

With a ceiling of 11,580 m with GM-1 it would be a waste to play it as such

On 19/09/2020 at 18:19, Z3r0_ said:

S-2 was rejected for negatively impacting performance too much

Read the OP above which states 'marginally'. Plus, the heavy GM-1 equipment was removed on the S-2

Edited by Chomusuke1

On 22/09/2020 at 21:47, Chomusuke1 said:

With a ceiling of 11,580 m with GM-1 it would be a waste to play it as such

Read the OP above which states 'marginally'. Plus, the heavy GM-1 equipment was removed on the S-2

Other sources I've read have indicated that the idea of an extended bomb bay was rejected outright for full production because of the disappointing results with testing it on an A model.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal