BTR-T: A Heavy Response

JamesPond1200@psn

Should the BTR-T be added to War Thunder?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should the BTR-T be added to War Thunder?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How should the BTR-T be added?

• Tech Tree
    • Premium
    • Event
    • I said no
  3. 3. What BR should the BTR-T have?

• Other (comment)
    • I said no

BTR-T: A Failed Response to Chechnya

MNgLFgN.jpg.1f00c56b6feb8ec49ab2a423fe9d

History:

The BTR-T came about as a response to the devastating losses taken by the Russian army during the First Chechen War (1994-1996), more specifically during the First Battle of Grozny. During this campaign, massive numbers of lightly-armored BMP-1/2/3 and BTR-60/70/80 IFVs and APCs were destroyed in droves by Chechen anti-tank squads armed with RPGs. These attack teams, usually consisting of three or four men, would be positioned high up in buildings and ambush the light vehicles with RPG-7 or RPG-18 rocket launchers. These had a devastating effect on Russian light armor, as they were able to attack the vehicles, destroy or cripple them with little to no issue, and escape before being spotted. These tactics were one of the main reasons the Russians initially failed to take Grozny and eventually lost the war. As a result, the Russians called for a new vehicle which could transport troops, provide fire support against tall buildings, and be protected enough to survive ambushes with rocket launchers. This took the form of the BTR-T (Bronetransporter-Tyazhelyy / Armored Transporter-Heavy), a conversion of older T-55 medium tanks into a heavy IFV.

The task of designing and building these vehicles was undertaken by Omsktransmash and the KBTM design bureau, along with help from Uralvagonzavod. The vehicle was first unveiled at the VTTV-97 Weapons Expo in Omsk in 1997. However, due to economic issues of the time and failures during testing, Russia did not purchase any vehicles. There is some evidence to suggest Bangladesh may have requested some as an export customer (the BTR-T remains available for export customers should the opportunity arise), but it is uncertain if that contract went through. 

Design:

The BTR-T is a conversion of the T-55 medium tank/MBT. This was chosen as it was a vehicle Russia had thousands of, was a reliable platform, and could easily be adapted to many different tasks. Most of the drivetrain and suspension was kept as is, as was the base chassis. The hull, however, was massively altered for its new role, as was its armament and armor. The hull was altered to have a larger crew compartment with a new layout, along with new hatches on the upper rear for crew dismount. It had a crew of 2 operators (Commander/Gunner and Driver) along with 5 troops. Air conditioning and NBC protection were added. Two large fuel tanks were attached to the rear in armored compartments, and on top of those were mounted 4x3 smoke grenade launchers.

Spoiler

HdlYz3I.jpg.66055bec2066c342bb8adb82957a

The smoke grenade launchers, new rear hatches, and new fuel tanks can be seen here.

OMwyEj1.jpg.99ccd66dc68b3491cf0c3e8d2965

The new internal layout.

The armor was enhanced with the use of Kontakt-5 ERA, rubber side skirts, and spaced armor plates. The front glacis plate was covered in bolt-on Kontakt-5 panels, with a few also added to the sides. The sides were primarily protected with spaced armor plate and rubber screens, along with new stowage boxes. The roof (arguably the weakest spot) was not enhanced in any way, but the floor was thickened to protect from mines.

Spoiler

yCMNDlR.png.e0ee6ee0963081f0a5500385f11d

Kontakt-5 panels bolted to the chassis.

The biggest change came in the form of the armament. The BTR-T used a unique modular weapon system in place of the 100mm gun and large turret of the T-55. The turret was now a 1-man ordeal, being shifted to the right to make room for the troops. A number of weapons could be carried in various configurations, and this is where it gets interesting. In War Thunder, a number of vehicles can change the weapons they are armed with, such as the Su-6 (AM-42). The BTR-T would function in a similar way, though only two of the weapon stations are, in my opinion, functional in War Thunder, though I will detail them all here. The options included:

• 30mm 2A42 autocannon + 9M113 Konkurs ATGM
  • 30mm 2A42 autocannon + 30mm AGS-17 grenade launcher
  • 2x 30mm 2A38 autocannons
  • 12.7mm NSV heavy machine gun + 9M113 Konkurs ATGM
  • 12.7mm NSV heavy machine gun + 30mm AGS-17 grenade launcher

The options with the NSV would not really be useful in WT, nor would the AGS-17 (as proven by the BMP-2M). However, the 2A24 + Konkurs and twin 2A38 options are indeed quite useful. The former is equivalent to a standard BMP-2, and the latter turns it into a potent SPAAG. The 2A42 autocannon is the same gun found on the BMP-2, and the 2A38 is the same gun found on the Tunguska. These options, once researched, would allow the user to configure the vehicle as they wished for the mission at hand. Possibly you could start with the 2A24 + AGS-17, then unlock the Konkurs launcher, and finally the twin 2A38 option. PLEASE NOTE: There is no low-caliber machine gun like a PKT on this vehicle.

Additionally, the initial documents for the vehicle showed a twin-barrel missile launcher, but the actual vehicle used a single-barrel. As such the single-barrel launcher is what we would get. 

Spoiler

OoYFpAB.jpg.cabcef86078ed242bd2767c1ceee

The early diagram showing the various weapons, including the early twin missile launcher.

Specifications:

Spoiler

Main Armament: Varies, see above

Secondary Armament: Varies, see above

Smoke: 4x triple smoke grenade launchers

Armor: Identical to that of the T-55 + Kontakt-5 ERA, rubber side skirts, and metal side panels of ~4mm thickness. Turret armor varies depending on weapon configuration.

Ammo Count: (2A24 + 9M113 turret): 200 30mm rounds, 3 9M113 Konkurs ATGMs. Unknown quantity for AGS-17 or twin 2A38 turret

Engine: V-55 V12 Diesel, 600HP (Same as T-55)

Transmission: 5-speed manual (Same as T-55)

Speed: 30 mph (50 km/h) on-road, 15 mph (25 km/h) off-road

Crew: Commander/Gunner, Driver + 5 Soldiers

Mass: 38.5 metric tons

Gallery:

Spoiler

BTR-T.jpg.fec85eb91cb35ee4ce9c89de23565b

Eqca9db.jpg.79e50ad841c205fa87715ad451f8

UPsLPbX.jpg.fad68952aac6d3fedf646a9d6765

ulnaBlJ.jpg.159276d4275d360b632933f9c5a1

arVf1eP.jpg.5b8a2c6c38dab12b407d250e6c82

X4MHSVw.jpg.eb33e6cf49b80c9b3ef42e2d1cb1

e0EpwMV.jpg.26caf0e5f37bc10f74eba350f0e7

If there is anything I have missed or gotten incorrect, please let me know! I hope you enjoyed reading this, and I hope you will also check out my other suggestions! Thanks, and have a great day.

Sources:

Edited by JamesPond1200@psn
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

Open for Discussion :)

Edited by Thatz
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Thatz said:

Hello after reviewing your suggestion. It is missing something that is required for all suggestions.

• Poll

You will have 48 hours to make this change to your suggestion. If changes are not made within 48 hours I will be archiving this post.

Added and resolved!

Edited by JamesPond1200@psn
medal medal

Nice. With atgms it will be like a mini terminator. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/07/2022 at 20:42, CTCrusader said:

Nice. With atgms it will be like a mini terminator. 

Funny you should say that. I recently posted another suggestion which basically is just that! It is an Algerian IFV which consists of the BMP-2M turret on a T-62 hull.

medal medal

On 11/07/2022 at 12:59, JamesPond1200@psn said:

There is some evidence to suggest Bangladesh may have requested some as an export customer

I dont think Bangladesh was interested to buy it at that time because Bangladesh launched a similar upgrade programme to upgrade type 62 light tanks to apc,ifv and sph.

• 2 months later...

Don't ask me why, but I get a real hardon for heavy IFVs. It's such an underused concept in reality (perhaps for good reason) that I would love to see them represented in War Thunder to get a good feel for them.

• Like 1
medal

• 4 weeks later...