Tank Crew Skills?

Emothic

Sorry, incorrect: even with a maxed-out crew, I'm 'losing' ALL ZIS-30s, 50% of T-34s, T-28s and T-50s, and a similar amount of others... every time I switch from 'general' to 'sniper' view.

in general view your view is from above and behind your tank so you have an elevated line of sight.  You can see potential targets that are behind hills and in depressions that you normally would not really see from inside the tank.  When you switch to sniper view it is from inside the tank which is lower to ground so you lose line of sight on those targets you could earlier see.  that is why targets disappear when you switch to sniper view.  It has nothing to do with crew skills

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

this kind of info, you dear OP ask, in a normal game, with care for players/buyers, will be available in a *.pdf file downloaded with that Gb of game.

That will be for a company with a REAL PR position and not a decorative one. 

Gaijin are unable to do this from more then 2 years. Hard to translate ? Do not care ?  I don.t know,. what I do know this are basic info for the game and, even after more then 2 years, are not available to the players.

What I can tell you it is this:

Reload time / points invested = MUCH worse then on planes;  There, on planes, an reload with 100/100 + expert crew will make a reload from 25 sec down to 15 sec. Thats 40% reload gain.

On tanks, the percentage go only up to max 20%. A 26 reload time will go only to 21 sec. Less then 20% like you see. This its my case with 1700 crew - MAX points ! I mean , are no places to put a single more point, max out crew = 1700 .

From what I see, MOST important (and working, a bit) are:

1 - reload

2 - range finder (especial at long range shots ! )

3 - rep skills / driver first , then gunner, then loader

4 - radio guy if you like a med

5 - eventually the leadership / even if my opinion it is NO improvements on reload time noticed with 100/100 here.

Conclusion ? all other skills are not modeled / if you buy them with GE you will loose your money, and its ethical bad Gaijin do not assume an official position about what skills are working and what are not, since they ask money for...

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

in general view your view is from above and behind your tank so you have an elevated line of sight.  You can see potential targets that are behind hills and in depressions that you normally would not really see from inside the tank.  When you switch to sniper view it is from inside the tank which is lower to ground so you lose line of sight on those targets you could earlier see.  that is why targets disappear when you switch to sniper view.  It has nothing to do with crew skills

well, in theory you are right, but.... here ?....

1 - what about players with crews max out, able to see the same targets on normal view / snipper view, and on last weeks are able no more ?

2 - more important, my friend v, WHAT about a SPAA UNABLE to spot a +25m huge heavy bomber at + 2500m in a clean sky on a sunny day, when a 99 years old lady or my old dog can spot s plane on same circumstances at +  7 km ???  And we talk about a vehicle with dedicated optics (able to spot targets much better then a pilot) and crews of 3-4 guys.

Do you really think Gaijin loose time on such a subtle difference of range (commander / gunner view range) AND much important things like the childish range detection on a dedicated AA vehicle its worst then a 99 old woman ??

medal medal medal medal

well, in theory you are right, but.... here ?....

1 - what about players with crews max out, able to see the same targets on normal view / snipper view, and on last weeks are able no more ?

2 - more important, my friend v, WHAT about a SPAA UNABLE to spot a +25m huge heavy bomber at + 2500m in a clean sky on a sunny day, when a 99 years old lady or my old dog can spot s plane on same circumstances at +  7 km ???  And we talk about a vehicle with dedicated optics (able to spot targets much better then a pilot) and crews of 3-4 guys.

Do you really think Gaijin loose time on such a subtle difference of range (commander / gunner view range) AND much important things like the childish range detection on a dedicated AA vehicle its worst then a 99 old woman ??

I was just posting my own observation.  I can spot an enemy, switch to sniper and have him disappear.  When I switch to General view he reappears.  That was what I thought person was asking.  I too have noticed some discrepencies with spotting aircraft while playing SPAA.  But that wasnt what person I was replying to was posting about.  Yes the spotting can be bonkers with SPAA.  I can see a friendly bomber firing into empty space, zoom in and see nothing then plane magically pops into view 5 secs before its timer expires....all the while they were headed toward me.  I can look in a direction and not see anything until after the first rounds from the plane strike me and he's only .5km away.  Or rocketed and there were 3 of us in SPAA facing different directions and no one ever saw the aircraft.  

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I confess, my friend, I start to kill SPAA sometimes when I have an attacker - its a way to help (a lot) my team; I play mainly 6,7 now (hard grind on Mighty Mickey ) and from time to time I see guys on Coelian or ZSU dual, who instant kill bomber after bomber on my team... Since I am myself an dedicated SPAA guy, I know this - and I fly my attacker at 2600m up until i reach the vertical location of the SPAA, then I dive at 90º on him.

Most guy stay stupidly there when a attacker dive on them, ignoring the fact the rockets do not use a timer.

Most of times they spot me at only 5-700 m when I release the rockets. 8-9 attacks of 10 ends up with a kill on poor SPAA.

Why that ? because the SPAA accuracy at vertical its next to zero, and the spotting range is also childish...

On other hand, sometimes I see a pair of decent SPAA guys able to kill each and every one who go airborne - and I just LOVE the show, no matter what team they are, so much I hate the bombers :lol: :lol: :lol:

medal medal medal medal

I confess, my friend, I start to kill SPAA sometimes when I have an attacker - its a way to help (a lot) my team; I play mainly 6,7 now (hard grind on Mighty Mickey ) and from time to time I see guys on Coelian or ZSU dual, who instant kill bomber after bomber on my team... Since I am myself an dedicated SPAA guy, I know this - and I fly my attacker at 2600m up until i reach the vertical location of the SPAA, then I dive at 90º on him.

Most guy stay stupidly there when a attacker dive on them, ignoring the fact the rockets do not use a timer.

Most of times they spot me at only 5-700 m when I release the rockets. 8-9 attacks of 10 ends up with a kill on poor SPAA.

Why that ? because the SPAA accuracy at vertical its next to zero, and the spotting range is also childish...

On other hand, sometimes I see a pair of decent SPAA guys able to kill each and every one who go airborne - and I just LOVE the show, no matter what team they are, so much I hate the bombers :lol: :lol: :lol:

I congratulate you on the excellent tactics.  I myself never stay still(unless i get tracked).  If you stay moving you keep your activity % up , even if not firing. plus , with the fm of planes in gf they sometimes have trouble adjusting whereas I dont.  I too developed a deep seated hatred toward bombers especially before the 10 sec fuse fix.  I personally have never had anyone dive on me from directly overhead(maybe because im always moving).  But I have noticed something isnt right with some attacks that have gotten me.  If I have a crew above 1000 and am facing in the direction the plane spawned in, I cannot understand why i cant see him at 30% above the horizon attack until hes already hitting me, just dont make sense.

@P8triot:

my friend, SPAA accuracy are so bugged, several times I keeps my fingers on the trigger at the guy who dive on me and not an hit its registered at short range, if he come in a high angle...

An attack at near 90º, and add the sun on your eyes (Jungle map ? ) from a plane armed with rockets, who only dive on you after he reach the vertical above you at + 2500m (you cant  spot him there even if you look at) its almost always deadly for a SPAA, especial an open canopy one.

And the rockets accuracy its so bad and make the spread to big to have a chance to escape: he may aim at you all rockets, but only one will come straight to you, or none if its a poor IL attacker with only 4 rockets - but a full load, like the P47 one, or Beaw - things who can carry 8-10 rockets.... well, you will have a rocket hit ahead, behind, left right, center... hard to avoid, are no timer here... You may kill him on process, but he will loose a free plane, you loose an ground vehicle....

Better to drive at max speed when an attacker with rockets target you....

Bad news are when you have crap teams who allow red tanks inside your spawn zone and always the red guys come after you... you are a free kill in a SPAA...

Edited by SENAdmiral
medal medal medal medal

I have noticed the change in reload time and repair time as well as the time it takes a crew member to recover from a hit

agree

medal medal

don't you mean dead, unconscious , wounded ..or is that just my gunner that faints at the first sight of the enemy?

since there are 3 states for a gunner, dead, alive, wounded 

Surely one of the devs could post up what skills work and what they affect?

why?   they  dont know themselves...

medal medal

why?   they  dont know themselves...

8/s...  :Os...  :(s...  :facepalm:  Sadly probably true

• 8 months later...

.  Yes the spotting can be bonkers with SPAA.  I can see a friendly bomber firing into empty space, zoom in and see nothing then plane magically pops into view 5 secs before its timer expires....all the while they were headed toward me.  I can look in a direction and not see anything until after the first rounds from the plane strike me and he's only .5km away.  Or rocketed and there were 3 of us in SPAA facing different directions and no one ever saw the aircraft.  

And therein lies the problems with planes in GFAB, complete mockery.

medal

Build your crews from the early stages and then climb up the tiers using skilled crews in your new vehicles. Do not wait until you are at the top. I notice that if you take a crew back to a lower tier vehicle that they were trained Expert or Ace on they retain that. so IMHO crew is more important then vehicle.

medal

• 1 month later...

Little Overview about all Skills

Repair:

Repair skill: depends on the member:

Gunner Repair: Gun Barrel

Driver Repair: Tracks, Engine

Loader Repair: Cannon Breach

Commander: dont know.... maybe Optics?

Radio Operator: dont know...

Driver: Driving Skill: Higer: less speed lost while braking, finding the 1st gear while starting to drive or turn from a standstill is faster.

Gunner: Rangefinding: changes the Accuracy in Simulator and precision of the White/Green + in Arcade, in Simulator you will only realise this at about 800-1400 Meters depending on the Gun (Howitzer even at under 800)

Any Skill with Maschine-Gunnery is useless and will most likely be forever... i think we will not see any Infantrie anytime soon.

Commander: Leadership does at is says... increas Performance of every other Member but you really cant meassure that like Brothers in Arms in WOT.

Everyone: Keen Vision: Increases Spotting to crazy amounts... even low levels will let you spot stuff 2-3km away. Keen Vision only works in the direction the Person is looking. Commander is most important, as he is the highest an can look over Hills, next is Gunner so you dont loose your target while in Snipermode. Gunner and Commander only look in the direction YOU are looking. Driver only looks some degrees in the direction you are driving. Loader... doesnt look anywhere... :D (so i didnt gave him any points). Radio Operator depends on the Tank. T34 have the Bow Gunner/Radio-Operator next to the Driver... so irrelevant. Didnt gave any Points.

Hope that helps.

I would imagine putting repair or keen sight on all your crew remember because, if one dies, then another will take his place, so depending on their crew level, effects the ability of the position upon switch.

Am i wrong? because if not, then it would be wise to upgrade all crew members, but remember, some tanks only have 4 members some have 5,

so ether one member counts as 2 in a 4 person tank, or missing one crew member entirely, im guessing radio operator? Probably depends, on tank

Some thoughts about Crew.

• Upvote 1

G'day gents - since the more recent set of patches and crew skill revamp, most of the questions are answered within the game interface.

Anyway he's the compilation for a discussion reference, using a maxed level 140 crew for bonuses:

Common crew skills:

Keen Vision - "skill affects crew's visual range in the hull direction and the direction they are looking, as well as the range of detecting air targets. Average skill value of the crew counts."

Absolute Detection: base= 109m + skill mod 127m + qualification mod 127m gives you a final stat of 363m

Movement-Line detection: base= 157m + skill mod 183m + qualification mod 183m gives you a final stat of 523m

Line-of-Sight Detection (modified by optics/binos): base= 615m + skill mod 718m + qualification mod 718m gives you a final stat of 2051m

Absolute Identification: base= 8m + skill mod 9m + qualification mod 9m gives you a final stat of 27m

Movement-Line Identification: base= 96m + skill mod 112m + qualification mod 112m gives you a final stat of 320m

Line-of-Sight Identification(modified by optics/binos):  base= 371m + skill mod 432m + qualification mod 432m gives you a final stat of 1235m

Aircraft Detection (modified by optics/binos): base= 2850m + skill mod 3320m + qualification mod 3320m gives you a final stat of 9500m

Overall in-game effect is that a fully skilled crew will spot targets 3-4 times further away than a novice one, although it doesn't provide any comment on success chance so I'm assuming its 100% as long as there is LOS to a modeled point that represents your tank. N.B. as your specific crew die in combat these numbers are modified accordingly!

Field Repair - "the skill of tank repair in combat conditions increases damage elimination rate, particularly tracks repair time. Average skill of the crew counts"

Maximum possible time to repair the tank: base = 57.14s + skill mod -12.03s + qualification mod - 14.3s + leadership mod -2.24s gives you a final stat of 28.57s

Overall in-game effect is that a fully skilled crew repairs modules 50% faster than a novice one. N.B. as your specific crew die in combat these numbers are modified accordingly - esp the commander where u will lose your leadership mod!

Agility - "the skill affects the speed of replacement of a killed crew member by another one. Average skill value of the crew counts"

Crew member replacement time: base = 13s + skill mod - 2.1s + qualification mod - 2.5s + leadership mod - 0.4s gives you a final stat of 8s.

Overall in-game effect is that a fully skilled crew member will swap positions ~40% faster than a novice one. N.B. as your specific crew die in combat these numbers are modified accordingly - esp the commander where u will lose your leadership mod!

Vitality - "health of the crew members, as well as speed of their recovery if they are wounded"

Vitality: base = 100% + skill mod 50% + qualification mod 50% gives you a final stat of 200%.

Overall in-game effect is that crew with max vitality is 100% more resilient and will recover from unconsciousness twice as fast than a novice one.

Driver Skill

Tank Driving: "tank driving skill affects driver's breaking reaction rate, choosing necessary gear and its changing speed at high speed tank movement"

Breaking time: base = 1.44s + skill mod - 0.52s + qualification mod - 0.65s + leadership mod - 0.13s gives you a final stat of 0.14s.

Gear shifting time: base = 1s + skill mod - 0.36s + qualification mod - 0.45s + leadership mod - 0.9s gives you a final stat of 0.1s.

Overall in-game effect is that a driver with max skill will break faster, and change gears for maneouvres than than a novice one. Breaking differences can be noticeable on light tanks, and gear changes on heavy tanks/TDs. Its not that obvious with medium tanks. N.B. I assume novice stats apply if you lose your driver, and they are replaced by another crew member. Similarly, you will lose the leadership mod when commander is killed!

Gunner Skills:

Targeting: "the skill of gun targeting affects targeting speed and accuracy. An experienced gunner targets the gun both vertically and horizontally at once; an inexperienced one does it in turns - at first he rotates the turret and then fixes the angle of fire"

Targeting quality: base = 0% + skill mod 40% + qualification mod 50% + leadership mod 10% gives you a final stat of 100%.

Targeting horizontal speed: base = 10.5 deg/s + skill mod 1.8 deg/s + qualification mod 2.25 deg/s + leadership mod 0.45 deg/s gives you a final stat of 15 deg/s.

Targeting vertical speed: base = 2.8 deg/s + skill mod 0.48 deg/s + qualification mod 0.6 deg/s + leadership mod 0.12 deg/s gives you a final stat of 4 deg/s.

Overall in-game effect is that a gunner with max targeting skill will hit the same POA consistently up to 100% (unmodified - note there are other modifiers - see Range Finding), which is very important when trying to hit a know weak-point, as well as traverse and elevate the gun onto the target 30% faster (This is a battle influencing stat !!!). N.B. I assume novice stats apply if you lose your gunner, and they are replaced by another crew member. Similarly, you will lose the leadership mod when commander is killed! Don't forget to account for the vehicle mods - without those your chances to hit your POA are further reduced.

Range Finding: "Precision of target range finding affects long-range fire accuracy"

Distance with estimation error 5m: base = 50m + skill mod 20m + qualification mod 20m + leadership mod 10m gives you a final stat of 100m.

Distance with estimation error 10m: base = 200m + skill mod 80m + qualification mod 100m + leadership mod 20m gives you a final stat of 400m

Distance with estimation error 50m: base = 400m + skill mod 160m + qualification mod 200m + leadership mod 40m gives you a final stat of 800m.

Distance with estimation error 100m: base = 800m + skill mod 160m + qualification mod 200m + leadership mod 40m gives you a final stat of 1200m.

Overall in-game effect is that an expert gunner with max range finding skill will have double the range at which the probability of error is applied over a novice. At typical engagement ranges of 400m this will be quite noticeable as novice gunners can drop short by 50m, whilst maxed crews will only apply the 10m penalty. This often accounts for that common "first round dip" which in many cases causes ppl to over elevate for the next shot in RB/SB.

N.B. I assume novice stats apply if you lose your gunner, and they are replaced by another crew member. Similarly, you will lose the leadership mod when commander is killed! Don't forget to account for the vehicle mods - without those your chances to hit your POA are further reduced.

Commander Skill:

Leadership - "improves other skills of the crew". This skill is a linear scale from 0 base skill to 10% at max skill.

Overall in-game effect is evident in the explanation of the other skills. N.B. The commander is not replaced, and you will lose the leadership mod when they are killed!

Loader Skill:

Weapon Reloading - "the skill of the loader to increase the main weapon loading rate"

Primary weapon reload time - base = 9.62s (using Panther G stats) + skill mod -0.89 + qualification mod -1.11 + leadership mod -0.22 gives you a final stat of 7.4s.

Overall in-game effect is that an experienced loader will reload up to 23% faster than a novice one. The % is consistent across different tanks. N.B. I assume novice stats apply if you lose your loader, and they are replaced by another crew member. Similarly, you will lose the leadership mod when commander is killed!

Radio Operator Skills:

Artillery Targeting Accuracy - "the skill affects targetting accuracy of artillery"

Artillery support scattering: base = 58m + skill mod -5m + qualification mod -7m + leadership mod -1m gives you a final stat of 45m.

Artillery Strike Calling Time - "the skill affects the time of calling artillery strike"

Artillery support calling time: base = 13s + skill mod -1.2s + qualification mod -1.5s + leadership mod -0.3s gives you a final stat of 10s.

Radio Communication - "the skill affects the range at which the enemy players detected by the allied team are displayed"

Target reception range: base = 250m + skill mod 100m + qualification mod 125m + leadership mod 25m gives you a final stat of 500m.

Overall in-game effect is that an experienced radio operator will be 23% more accurate and faster in delivering artillery on target. Similarly a skilled radio operator will double your SA range, which I'm assuming is mainly manifested in vehicles appearing on the mini map, but could also work to light up the vehicles themselves in AB. I don't know whether the range extension is individual or whether it works as long as you are in comms range of a team member who is in range of the spotter and so on... N.B. I assume novice stats apply if you lose your radio operator, they are not replaced and someone else takes over this function. Similarly, you will lose the leadership mod when commander is killed!

Edited by Raf1307
  • Upvote 8
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Okay so I have a lot of Crew XP points piled up on my tank crew slots. The problem is I don't really know which skill is more important then the other. I already put 70 down in vitality in each crew member (which was a waste). So what skill should I focus on the most? There are so many skills for each crew member combined it is hard to know which will be most effective.

I put up almost the exact post yesterday concerning the same thing .............

Gentlemen 

Would it be possible to allow any extra crew xp earned on a spaded crew and vehicle to 100% for both,to be allocated to the nearest to be spaded or lowest to boost crew spading .

Example :  I have a Pz IV F1 both tank and crew fully spaded and it has over 700 crew xp doing nothing.

My idea is to be allocated a tank of the same nation that is near complete spading or the lowest needing spaded to either automatically allocate or have a manual allocation of crew xp.

1,It would help economy wise

2, make use of unused crew xp

3,Help grind the crews quicker. 

P.s I have suggested this just now but i would like the teams opinion on the subject if i may

Thank you :salute:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This forum, ESPECIALLY Raf1307's post needs to be front page on the forums! No where (easily) can you find good helpful advice on tank crew management and how to use crew XP wisely and efficiently! I hope more see this thread  :learn:

Also, I have learned that with crew skills, it varies from tank slot to tank slot (That is, if you divide your tank classes by crew slots). If one crew is focused on TD's then the Artillery skill is useless. German TD's for example do not include a Radio Operator as a crew member so keep that in mind when dividing up your points.

Edited by S0NIC_B00M

If you use your crews to repair your tanks in hanger for free over time, not the Silver Lion drain called auto repair, then you also have to drop crew points into the ground crew on your pilot tab.  The two skills that need to be upgraded are repair rank (raised to the rank that your tanks are) and repair time, to cut down on the time it takes to fix the tank.  This has been confirmed by users and forum moderators.

medal medal medal medal medal

I put up almost the exact post yesterday concerning the same thing .............

Gentlemen 

Would it be possible to allow any extra crew xp earned on a spaded crew and vehicle to 100% for both,to be allocated to the nearest to be spaded or lowest to boost crew spading .

Example :  I have a Pz IV F1 both tank and crew fully spaded and it has over 700 crew xp doing nothing.

My idea is to be allocated a tank of the same nation that is near complete spading or the lowest needing spaded to either automatically allocate or have a manual allocation of crew xp.

1,It would help economy wise

2, make use of unused crew xp

3,Help grind the crews quicker. 

P.s I have suggested this just now but i would like the teams opinion on the subject if i may

Thank you :salute:

Once you have maxed your tank crews, you can dump excess points into your air crews, and vice versa. Just click the respective radio button for each crew in a given hangar.

When you have maxed "both" sets of crews in a given hangar, then there is no futher use for skill points. Not sure why they accumulate, perhaps Gaijin has a plan to make you pay skill points for up-skilling replaced crew  between battles in the future? Who knows ?

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Once you have maxed your tank crews, you can dump excess points into your air crews, and vice versa. Just click the respective radio button for each crew in a given hangar.

When you have maxed "both" sets of crews in a given hangar, then there is no futher use for skill points. Not sure why they accumulate, perhaps Gaijin has a plan to make you pay skill points for up-skilling replaced crew  between battles in the future? Who knows ?

Skill points can be saved up and used when the navy part of the game comes out.

medal medal medal medal medal