How do you install User Made skins?

dxraul20

In game, find the aircraft you want the skin for and go to customization and then create a template for said aircraft.

Go to a website where you can get skins from such as live.warthunder.com 

Download the skin

find your war thunder main folder and look for the UserSkins folder, inside it should be the template folder of the aircraft you chose.

then simply drag the downloaded skin files in there. 

done :)

• Upvote 36

You put them into a folder in the War Thunder directory called "UserSkins" (e.g. if you're on Steam that would be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\War Thunder\UserSkins )

Just put the downloaded folder in there (extract first if it's a .zip or .rar compressed file). If they havn't put their stuff in a folder (i.e., they only uploaded the files) Then just make a folder with the name of the skin and put them in it.

• Upvote 7
medal medal medal medal

You put them into a folder in the War Thunder directory called "UserSkins" (e.g. if you're on Steam that would be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\War Thunder\UserSkins )

Just put the downloaded folder in there (extract first if it's a .zip or .rar compressed file). If they havn't put their stuff in a folder (i.e., they only uploaded the files) Then just make a folder with the name of the skin and put them in it.

What if it's a two part folder?

medal medal medal

Hi, when i extract the file from the compressed folder there is nothing that coming out... and when i want to install the skin, i can select it but i don't see it on the plane. Can you explain me?

medal medal medal medal

What if it's a two part folder?

As in, they've got a folder, with another folder within containing the actual skin? Like:

->Userskins

---> Epicsuperskinomg

-------> template_p-26

/ p-26_a.tga

/ p-26_n.tga

/ p-26.blk

Then you would take the files out and put them into the uppermost folder - noting that the ingame name of the skin is taken from the folder name. In this made up case, you would take the p26 files and put them under Epicsuperskinomg, then get rid of the now useless template_p-26 folder.

(That might be the most complex way of saying "put it in the next folder up in hierachy" ever, but hey I hope it helps)

medal medal medal medal

I have the CDK installed, but I don't have a "UserSkins" folder in my WT directory, (although there is a "UserMissions" folder). I also don't see any option to create a template for a plane in the customisation screen in game.

I don't have the CDK and still have the user missions folder, but i don't have the user skins folder even when i had the CDK, (I uninstalled it because it messed up my computer) I still didn't have the user skins folder. All the War Thunder add-ons are messed up.

Quite a few of the skins I have downloaded dont seem to have the .tga  or .blk files.

Instead I just get a single file with no extension simply named P38 or B17 (or whatever).

I am at work right now so cant check, but one example I can remember off the top of my head is the DHL skin for the B17.

For that there was a single "B17" file (with no extension) and when I placed it into the template folder for the corresponding plane , it doesn't work.

I see comments from other people on the skins download page saying "looks great" or whatever, so assume it works for them?

Am I doing something wrong?  :dntknw:

FYI...  other skins I have downloaded do have all the  .tga and .blk files and they work fine.

Edited by Lt_PeteMitchell
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Quite a few of the skins I have downloaded dont seem to have the .tga  or .blk files.

Instead I just get a single file with no extension simply named P38 or B17 (or whatever).

I am at work right now so cant check, but one example I can remember off the top of my head is the DHL skin for the B17.

For that there was a single "B17" file (with no extension) and when I placed it into the template folder for the corresponding plane , it doesn't work.

I see comments from other people on the skins download page saying "looks great" or whatever, so assume it works for them?

Am I doing something wrong?  :dntknw:

FYI...  other skins I have downloaded do have all the  .tga and .blk files and they work fine.

Thanks for the help.....   :facepalm:

Figured out the issue. 

I use firefox, and on some of the skins all that downloads is an unusable file with no extension.

If I switch to another browser I get the proper zip file with the various .tga & .blk files.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...

I can't find the directory or main folder you are talking about. Where is it. I see nothing about user skins in the menu, or anything about customization in any of the game options or controls sections or anywhere for that matter. Help me! I have downloaded some lovely skins in TGA format but don't know how to apply them. 

• 5 months later...

what do you do if they just give you something that looks like this: (name of file).dds_version.rar   ?

medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just as an fyi, if you don't want to get rid of the default skin, simply create another folder with the same naming convention as the default user skin but have the name of the skin on the end. For example:

If you create a P-51D-30 user skin as mentioned by KingHaydn, you will have a folder like this:

template_p-51d-30_usaaf_korea

Copy your new skin folder into the "UserSkins" folder for War Thunder and name it:

template_p-51d-30_*name of skin goes here*

Doing it this way will let you switch between skins and will allow you to have multiple skins per plane. Keep in mind that any decals are applied over every skin and not just the default skin. So if you want your new skin to be clean you will need to remove the decals.

medal medal

I haven't even found the folder userskins.

I do have a map on the pc with the name warthunder, and i do have a map in there with the name saves, but nothing more.

and then i can't even find it, the map userskins.

does anybody know where i must search for it?

Maybe it helps if i say i've windows 8.

medal

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't even found the folder userskins.

I do have a map on the pc with the name warthunder, and i do have a map in there with the name saves, but nothing more.

and then i can't even find it, the map userskins.

does anybody know where i must search for it?

Maybe it helps if i say i've windows 8.

Try this;-

01. Click on file explorer icon in the taskbar.

02. Go to 'Devices and Drives' and click on 'Windows8_OS (C:)' aka Drive C.

03. Click on 'Program Files (x86)' folder.

04. When opened, scroll down and click on 'War Thunder' folder.

05. Once open, scroll down until you locate the 'User Skins' folder.

hope this helps.

Spectre61.

medal medal

Try this;-

01. Click on file explorer icon in the taskbar.

02. Go to 'Devices and Drives' and click on 'Windows8_OS (C:)' aka Drive C.

03. Click on 'Program Files (x86)' folder.

04. When opened, scroll down and click on 'War Thunder' folder.

05. Once open, scroll down until you locate the 'User Skins' folder.

hope this helps.

Spectre61.

Almost perfect, just in case... The directory is 'UserSkins' not 'User Skins'.

edit: You just create a directory with the name : 'UserSkins' inside the basic installation directory. Then you unpack the  zips into that folder. 

Edited by Bingzhu
medal medal

• 1 month later...

Hi....  so as you can see at my profile pic that its crazy horse (the p-51) and found a skin for it.  Well i did what you all told meh to and it didn't work.  It won't let me look at the photo file (of the aircraft when you download it) and its really annoying meh. PLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ someone help meh I have to get dis skin!!!  Thanks :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

When I download the user skins the folder only has dds, dds, and blk file in it. I used firefox, chrome and explorer and it always downloads only these 3 files

• 1 month later...

First, you go on war thunder and find the plane or kind of tank you want. Go to customization, and look at User Skins. Find, the icon that looks like a wand. Then alt+tab and go to google chrome, mozilla firefox, or any kind of Internet explore you have. Type "War thunder user skins". Click on the first link, Then find the one you want, click on it. Click the green download button, then when you have succesfully downloaded it, drag it to your desktop. Open your Program files(x86). Go right to Steam (If you use steam). , Steam-apps  common, War thunder find the User skins folder. Double click, Find the plane or tank file. Double click. Drag that to the side of your computer screen, and then you click the file you put on your desktop, Slide it over to the other side (left) and then you will  exract the  tgm.dmg file to the other Folder page. And you are done.  :Ds  If you use Winrar, you do the same thing just open the rar folder. And then extract the .RAR files to the File folder... And you are finished CONGRAGULATIONS!  :yes:   ;)s   :salute:

First, you go on war thunder and find the plane or kind of tank you want. Go to customization, and look at User Skins. Find, the icon that looks like a wand. Then alt+tab and go to google chrome, mozilla firefox, or any kind of Internet explore you have. Type "War thunder user skins". Click on the first link, Then find the one you want, click on it. Click the green download button, then when you have succesfully downloaded it, drag it to your desktop. Open your Program files(x86). Go right to Steam (If you use steam). , Steam-apps  common, War thunder find the User skins folder. Double click, Find the plane or tank file. Double click. Drag that to the side of your computer screen, and then you click the file you put on your desktop, Slide it over to the other side (left) and then you will  exract the  tgm.dmg file to the other Folder page. And you are done.  :Ds  If you use Winrar, you do the same thing just open the rar folder. And then extract the .RAR files to the File folder... And you are finished CONGRAGULATIONS!  :yes:   ;)s   :salute:  :bomber: MonsterMeteor: I like bombing. Random person in a tank: WAIT WAIT WAIT NOooo!!

Edited by MonsterMeteor

• 2 weeks later...