Umbrella airbrake modification for Do 217

ALIEN109

Umbrella airbrake  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Umbrella airbrake ingame ?

• No, it would be useless !
    • Yes, it would be a great addition to the game !
    • Yes/No (explain in comment please)

I was surprised because I didn't find it in previously suggested ideas thread (at least I didn't using search function).

The Do 217 had an air brake in the tail called "Umbrella" (even mentioned in game description) but ingame it hasn't any.

It would be a great addition for Do 217 (Dive bomber versions) so they can really fulfill their dive bomber role without having the ground coming at you with such speed. It should come as a modification that you can choose to install or not (with the existing research system I don't understand why it isn't ingame yet) 

It existed in two versions  :
[spoiler]

• rigid version

sturz1.jpg

• Flexible version (R25 modification also called "Perlon")

sturz_3.jpg
[/spoiler]

Here are some links (WARNING : Some Swastikas are present) :

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt08/german-airplane-do-217.html
http://www.germanaircraftwwii.com/blog/497809-dornier-do-17-and-217-dive-brakes-details/
http://www.luftarchiv.de/index.htm?/bordgerate/sturz.htm
http://books.google.be/books?id=-iYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA81&dq=popular+science+cannon&hl=en&ei=0D21TN2cFsj9nAeZwNDVDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=true (only page 81)
http://legendsintheirowntime.com/Content/1942/DO217_Av_sk_4211_W.png
http://legendsintheirowntime.com/Content/1943/DO217_Fl_4308_brake.html

• Upvote 59
medal medal

Thats a nice device Germans got there. +1 from me, deserves to be in game as a mod.

*OFFTOP* Anybody happens to know what happened to Tu-2 airbrake? Only premium one has it? Is it correct?

Edited by juraleona
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

It was talked about few months ago on status updates but surprisingly no one made suggestion thread.

Supported, this would be great addition to DoDo`s

• Upvote 1
medal

100% support.

Gaijin, please DoDo this. Now I must commit seppuku for that terrible pun.

Edited by Owyyaabe
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

Hmm
Does the J/N series had them?

It shows M-1 and E-1 versions of DoDo.

But since it would not be something OP I think we can get carried a little and add it...

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hmm
Does the J/N series had them?

neither the J or N series would not have such a device because they were night fighter versions. the tail mounted airbrake was only equipped on early E variants. also i believe that dive brake was removed by the time the E-3 or E-4 variants were produced since the dive bombing requirement was removed from the airplane specs.

• Upvote 1

This would be a totally fine addition. I support it !

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

I like such additions so +1

• Upvote 3

So, not a single Do 217 from the game would qualify to carry the umbrella?

If you take a closer look at the German research tree, you'll notice two sets of Do 217's: the heavy fighters and the bombers. Most players don't seem to even notice the Do 217 bombers, which I consider very good. =)

The E-2 should have the umbrella, and if that source provided is accurate, it seems at least one M-1 also had it installed (which is logical considering the M's were developed from the E's).

Though one of the sources seems to have an image of a N-2 (at least according to caption) with the umbrella. I have no idea what that's about.
  • Upvote 5

The thing is nowhere does the game suggest E variants are capable of dive bombing - you have to test fly them to find that out.

I've flown many a battle with J and N variants and know they don't have such capability, as far as the game is concerned of course.

K and M I do not own.

Voted for.

From ingame description:

• Do217 E-2 and E-4
    • Originally, all Do 217E planes were equipped with an umbrella-shaped dive brake located in the tail section and designed to reduce diving speed. 

• Do.217 K-1
    • However, if needed, the R25 field modification kit could be used for the Do 217 K-1, giving it a tail ribbon braking parachute for dive bombing.

From wikipedia, these versions could get the Umbrella airbrake:

• Do.217 E-2
  • Do.217 M-1
  • Do.217 J-1
  • Do.217 N-2
Edited by ALIEN109
  • Upvote 4
medal medal

The thing is nowhere does the game suggest E variants are capable of dive bombing - you have to test fly them to find that out.

Probably because they don't have their dive brakes.  :Ps

For the purpose of this discussion, historical capability is what's most important. If an aircraft historically had some feature it does not have ingame, it should eventually get that feature ingame as well.

Anyways, according to the sources linked, the umbrella airbrakes were considered insufficient and eventually supplemented with additional wing-mounted dive brakes. Does anyone have more information on those modifications?

• Upvote 2

Probably because they don't have their dive brakes.  :Ps

For the purpose of this discussion, historical capability is what's most important. If an aircraft historically had some feature it does not have ingame, it should eventually get that feature ingame as well.

Anyways, according to the sources linked, the umbrella airbrakes were considered insufficient and eventually supplemented with additional wing-mounted dive brakes. Does anyone have more information on those modifications?

I found this and got a bit disappointed  :(s

Some of the aircraft examined were wired and equipped for electrically operated dive-brakes, and an automatic pull-out device. The umbrella type dive-brake in the tail of early Do-217's proved unsatisfactory and the newer models have a five-slat type brake installed under the wing outboard of the engine nacelle, nearer the leading edge than the trailing edge of the wing.

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt/dornier-do217-luftwaffe.html

Looks like they didn't get both air brakes installed at the same time but they replaced Umbrella by conventional airbrakes which were more reliable

medal medal

Looks like they didn't get both air brakes installed at the same time but they replaced Umbrella by conventional airbrakes which were more reliable

Oh, I must have misread that...  :?s

From my perspective, if the aircraft had dive brakes, they should get dive brakes in game. For me it doesn't really make a huge difference if it's an umbrella or five-slats under the wing, as long as the aircraft has some form of airbrake.

• Upvote 1