User Skin Instruction

MeGoM

Alright guys, through much trial and error, I figured out a way to create a user skin for planes( ground units not been tested yet due to Ground units is in CBT phase)

Make sure you have CDK installed and if you have fatal error, follow the steps here in my post: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/127752-war-thunder-cdk-fatal-error-fix-for-steam-version/

To edit the skin of the aircraft, you need a image editing software, the basic tool is Paint in MS but for more advanced use for example Photoshop (work really well with layering) but you can use any image editing tool as long as you can save it as *.tga format.

Now, to create a skin first you need a aircraft you want to work with, for me to test it was with MiG15 as its my favorite aircraft in the game.

1. Launch the game and once logged in to the game select an aircraft you want to create skin for.

2. Once aircraft is selected go to customization, in the customization menu you should see this [spoiler]ZU2S4S3.jpg?1[/spoiler]

3. Click the wand and it should crate a skin template of the aircraft in the war thunder folder.

4. Go to your War thunder game folder, once in the folder you should see UserSkin folder, in that folder you should see the folder named after the aircraft you picked to create skin.

5. Once in the aircraft folder you should see 6 files, the files vary by new model and damaged model of the aircraft.

6. Select file that its name ends with _a.tga  ex: "mig15bis_r23_a.tga" and "open with" the image editing software you are using(Photoshop was for me).

7. Once you finished editing the skin, save it as tga extension. if your software does not have it just type the extension after the file name ex: mynewskin.tga and click save.

8. Launched the game and select the aircraft and go to customization and click the user skin and select your skin and VALA!

[spoiler]RthC0y2.jpg?1[/spoiler]

Tested to make sure it works. not a fine work but works to show it works. :)

Thank for reading my instructions, if something is not clear please let me know and I will fix it. If you like it please rank it. Thank you in advance.

If you want a skin done for aircraft you want please post here what you want and what aircraft. If you have images that u want to would be great.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Any idea why my war thunder folder is lacking the UserSkin folder? In fact all mine has in it is:
Logs and errors
Replays
Screenshots
Uninstall War Thunder
and the launcher...

You need to go into the game and click sample button which looks like wand and it will create the userskin folder with the aircraft skin
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

When I look at the user skin option, where yours says, "User: Template_Mig-15",  mine says, "Disabled".

you need to click the wand in the game and then it will create a template then u go make changes in it then you need to be in the game and click refresh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why can't I open it with Paint... I tried opening it with paint but it said it did not recognise TGA format. And I really don't want to buy photoshop just to change some War Thunder skins...

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Why can't I open it with Paint... I tried opening it with paint but it said it did not recognise TGA format. And I really don't want to buy photoshop just to change some War Thunder skins...

Thanks in advance

There is always a free GIMP application which is similar to Photoshop (little complicated but you can open lots of image formats).

ok this looks to be good place to ask......ok i made the usewr folder with the wand and got the template for the bf110 just to try makeing a night fighter version   i used gimp to edit the template just the regular one not the damaged one,, i exported it as a tga both with it rbl compression and with out ,i have tryed every thing to get it to show the folder shows as the name i gave it in the userskins tab in game but it only shows the orginal templte and not the modafided one...what am i missing? i tryed copying and then adding i tryed just dropping it in the folder i tryed removeing the old orginal tempale model and leaveing it in the folder and it still only shows the "base"   any ideas what else to try???

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance

There are more free advanced software such as gimp. They should allow to open *.tga files and for MS paint u need to get codec files from www.microsoft.com

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
hello all !
First of all this is really  a nice photo fashion that every body love to use.
hey i want to share with you amazing site fot [url=http://www.tidebuy.com/c/Prom-Dresses-4354/] tidybuy cheap prom dresses online sales[/url] only.
here is a really nice and very cheap prom dresses online sales are available to make look.
let me know if you found something cool.
you send me email via my profile link 
thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo.

If someone had a moment.

Is there a way to also Skin the Gunpods ?

I got my Skin Finished so far.

But the Gunpods aint working with the Skin and end up White. (Original Color)

medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...

Yo.

If someone had a moment.

Is there a way to also Skin the Gunpods ?

I got my Skin Finished so far.

But the Gunpods aint working with the Skin and end up White. (Original Color)

You need to pull them out of the asset viewer CDK, find the one for the plane, then make your own with it, and add a section in the BLK for it

• 1 month later...

I would like to know this info also.  I am using War Thunder under Steam, where is the game root folder?  Where is the UserSkins folder?  I have used Windows search and is doesn't find anything.

Thanks!

I would like to know this info also. I am using War Thunder under Steam, where is the game root folder? Where is the UserSkins folder? I have used Windows search and is doesn't find anything.

Thanks!

should be here: C:\program files x86\steam\commons\steamapps

• 3 weeks later...

squse me but do you have a video tutorial on how to get my hands on the advanced skining for tanks? i'm familiar with the skinning processes of tanks but I'm more interested in finding out about the more advanced stuff ( i have the sdkit downloaded already) i.e. kill markers on barrels, specific numbers on the turrets and so on.

Edited by warpig17
medal medal medal medal

• 5 months later...

may i get some template for swordfish mk 1 and some tanks?

anyway i already done editing my templates as u told to the forum but,after i refresh the template still the same why?