Heinkel He 100 D-1

Heinkel He 100

1390466192tDwPo0yd.jpg

(Translation: These He 100 D-1 bear fake unit markings applied for propaganda purposes. The aircraft below flew to defend the Heinkel works in Rostock. On a personal side note, excuse the swastikas - they aren't here to glorify anything.)

After the He 112 proved to be inferior to Messerschmitt's Bf 109, the Heinkel works started the development of a new fighter which was to outrun any contemporary aircraft. Designated P. 1035, the project was to reach a speed of over 700 kilometers per hour, an almost illusory value for that time. The genius Siegfried Günther, who already had developed the He 112 together with his late brother who died in a car crash in 1937, showed his plans to Ernst Heinkel when Generalluftzeugmeister Ernst Udet was on a visit. Heinkel was thrilled with the design and immediately ordered the development of a prototype series which Udet authorized on location. A few months later, in January 1938, the first prototype left the factory halls, and Heinkel was keen to show that his aircraft were the fastest and also sort out the defeat in the Standardjäger competition against Messerschmitt. The aircraft was a low-wing all-metal with a normal tail and a retractable tail wheel. As with almost all Heinkel aircraft, the focus was given to aerodynamics, and the plane had a sleek and elegant shape. A special property of the aircraft was the surface cooling, which was embeded into the wings and directed the evaporated cooling liquids through them to condensate again, but caused high vulnerability as well - a single shot to the wing would have meant failure to cool the engine. To make matters worse, the system didn't perform well enough to avoid the use of an aerodynamically inefficient radiator opening on the strong DB 601 engine, and eventually a switchable opening was applied. The surface cooling was a dead end in fighter development. Also an interesting detail was the partially-arrowed wing, giving it an almost gullwing appearance like on the Ju 87 without slowing it down.

The flight performance proved to be more than satisfying, with Ernst Udet unintentionally breaking the world speed record with the He 100 V2 after trying it out once - after all, he still was a fighter pilot. On March 30th 139, the eight prototype broke the record once again using a special overpowered engine, with an average speed of 746,64 kilometers her hour. Later prototypes received a combat configuration and armament consisting of a MG/FF and two MG 17. The V8 eventually was given to the Deutsches Museum in Munich, designated He 112 U for propaganda purposes and later destroyed in a bombing attack.

He100V8_4.jpg

The record breaking He 100 V8....

he100_museum.jpg

...on display in Munich as He 112 U.

Many states showed interest in the aircraft. A Soviet and Japanese delegation inspected the aircraft, with the Soviets ordering six/ten (sources vary) and the Japanese two. The Soviets, particularly interested in the cooling system, tried to improve their Ilyushin I-21 based on the same concept, but Soon gave up on it, however the aerodynamics alledgedly influenced the development of the Yak-1 (not certain) and LaGG-3 (certainly), while it is safe to say that the Ki-61 made by Japan was based on both the He 100 and He 112 - after the war in Europe broke out, plans for a serial production of the He 100 were put to rest in the Empire.

The He 100 outperformed every aircraft of its time, including the later production version of the FW 190, and would most likely have remained without any competition until the later stages of the war. However, the Reichsluftfahrtministerium rejected it. The reasons remain a mystery, some say that they ordered Heinkel to build bombers (most likely spread by Ernst Heinkel based on the fate of the He 112), others claim that the RLM wanted to focus on one fighter (given the introduction of the FW 190 just a few months later, this also is nonsense), so most likely it was due to the shortages of Daimler-Benz 601 engines, the production could barely keep up with Messerschmitt's needs, and adapting to the Junkers Jumo 211 would have required a redesign of the aircraft, which was tailored around the DB 601. Also, the point of the vulnerable cooling system was still standing - and in the end, the remaining aircraft were used for propaganda and disinformation to simulate fake fighter squadrons and the introduction of a new fighter type. Some also proved to be excellent aircraft when they defended the Heinkel factories, some being upgunned with MG 151/15 or MG 151/20 machine cannons. The knowledge later was used in the P 1076, a competitor of the Ta 152 which never left the drawing board. To this day, none of the 100 aircraft survives, with only a full-scale mockup being on display in Chino, California.

300px-He_100D_colour.jpg

He 100 used for propaganda. The aircraft was designated He 113 for this purpose.

Little is known about the actual flight perfomance, and varying online archives contradict eachother. I will thus give various data sets.

English Wikipedia:

Data from Heinkel's High Speed Hoaxer:The Annals of the He 100

General characteristics

• Crew: One (pilot)
  • Length: 8.2 m (26 ft 11 in)
  • Wingspan: 9.4 m (30 ft 10 in)
  • Height: 3.6 m (11 ft 10 in)
  • Wing area: 14.6 m2 (157 sq ft)
  • Empty weight: 1,810 kg (3,990 lb)
  • Max takeoff weight: 2,500 kg (5,512 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Daimler-Benz DB 601M liquid-cooled supercharged V12 piston engine, 864 kW (1,159 hp)

Performance

• Maximum speed: 670 km/h (416 mph; 362 kn)
  • Cruising speed: 552 km/h (343 mph; 298 kn)
  • Range: 1,010 km (628 mi; 545 nmi)
  • Service ceiling: 11,000 m (36,089 ft)
  • Time to altitude: 2.2 minutes to 2,000 metres (6,600 ft), 7.9 minutes to 6,000 metres (20,000 ft)

Armament

Fliegerweb.com (Most likely the He 100 V8, not relevant, yet still interesting and giving a little more data)

Technical data: Heinkel He 100   Use: Record aircraft
Powerplant: A liquid cooled V12 DB 601 A engine with adjustable three-blade metal propeller
Power output at start: 1.175 HP (864 kW)
Continous power output : 1.020 HP (750 kW) in 4.500 m
Short-term power output: 1.800 HP (1.324 kW) with additional water-methanole injection
Crew: One pilot
First flight: January 22nd 1938   Wingspan: 7,60 m Length: 8,20 m Max. altitude: 3,60 m Tailspan: 3,04 m Propeller diameter: 2,80 m Propeller surface: 6,16 m² Gauge: 2,92 m Wing area: 11,00 m² Wing sweep: +5° at the outer wing -1° at the inner wing Wing aspect: 5,25 Empty mass: 2.097 kg Starting mass: 2.540 kg Max. starting mass: 2.640 kg Fuel amount: 320 Liter Lubricant amount: 22 Liter Wing loading: 240,00 kg/m² Power to weight ratio: 1,37 kg/PS (1,86 kg/kW) Top speed near ground: 565 km/h Top speed in 500m: 746,40 km/h Cruise speed in 4500: 650 km/h Start speed: 175 km/h Landing speed: 150 km/h Max. altitude: 11.000 m Rate of climb: 17,5 m/s Time to 1000m: 1,0 min Time to 5.000 m: 5,5 min Time to 8.000 m: 10,5 min Standard range: 825 km Maximum range: 1.000 km Flight duration: 1,5 h Runway needed for takeoff: 350 m Runway needed for landing: 380 m

Luftarchiv.de:

Series: D,V Example type: Use: He 100 D Fighter

Values based on:

He 100 D Length: 8,19 m Wingspan: 9,42 m Height: 3,60 m Crew: 1 Engine: DB 601M Horsepower: 1 x 1175 Vmax: 670 km/h Range: 1005 km Max altitude: 9890 m Armament: 1 x MG FF 2 x MG 17

http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviation%20history/photo_albums/timeline/ww2/Heinkel%20HE%20100.htm

Specifications for the He 100D-1c

Engine:

1,175hp (876kW) Daimler-Benz DB 601M liquid–cooled inverted V12

Dimensions:

span 9.42m (30ft 10 3/4in)
length 8.20m (26ft 10 3/4in)
height 3.60m (11ft 9 3/4 in)

Weights:

empty 2070kg (4,563lb)
max loaded 2500kg (5,512lb)

Wing Area:

14.5m2 (156ft2)

Wing Loading:

29.25lbs/ft2

Performance:

maximum speed 668km/h at 6400m (416mph at 21,000ft)
560km/h (348mph) at sea level
cruise speed unknown
service ceiling 11000m (36,090ft)
range 900km (559miles)

Armament:

one 20mm MG/FF-M firing through the propeller spinner
two 7.92mm MG17 in the wings

2DonQqL.png

http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/archiv/Dokumente/ABC/h/Heinkel/He%20100/Dokumentadion/Dokumentation%20Heinkel%20He%20100.pdf

http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/archiv/Dokumente/ABC/h/Heinkel/He%20100/Dokumentadion/He100teil2.pdf

http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/archiv/Dokumente/ABC/h/Heinkel/He%20100/Dokumentadion/He%20100%20Rekord.pdf

This seems pretty much all you can find about it. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

It would make a nice era II premium in the game. An extremely fast glass cannon with okay armament, maybe even on higher tiers with the upgunned versions. Should this be a repost, feel free to delete it.

Kindest regards, Trollgunner.

• Upvote 44
medal medal medal

Thank you very much.  :salute:

Also, excuse my bad English. It ain't my native language.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

I really hope you succeed with this.

Personally I'm one of those people that thinks the only thing good about Messerschmidt getting the fighter contract over Heinkel is the fact it made it easier for allied forces to invade Germany (and end the war sooner.) 

Plus i have a general dislike for German war machines that look like they were drawn using a etch a sketch. Ok I'm lying i like the Tiger, i just think the Heinkel is about a billion times more interesting then any propeller driven Messerschmitt. 

Edited by Ottobon
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Thank you all for the positive feedback. Nice to see Heinkel's rejected designs getting some love.  :good:

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

Yes please, 100% support for this, failed prototype aircraft have been added into the game, and this is somewhat of an iconic (underdog) of the German planes.

I'd even probably buy this as a premium if it was a reasonable price, not 6000ge.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

If it's Battlerating is 3.0 or lower, I would buy it, even for a somewhat higher price (2000GE or so)... but above that I'd kinda feel fooled again.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

gib pls

Seriously, the only thing I fear is that gaijin puts it on Tier IV due to the speed, it's ment to be tier II-III

• Upvote 2

gib pls

Seriously, the only thing I fear is that gaijin puts it on Tier IV due to the speed, it's ment to be tier II-III

I do not think something with a single MG/FF and two peashooters would be a T4. Well, the upgraded versions at best.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

I do not think something with a single MG/FF and two peashooters would be a T4. Well, the upgraded versions at best.

Yea. Well, for me this'd be a great tier II, as it is heavily outclimbed by the Spitfires.

• Upvote 4