The British Martin-Baker MB-5

I don't think i have ever made a suggestion regarding the British Line, but this caught my eye, and it does not seem to have been suggested before, only mentioned.

Since most nations will soon be getting there 'super prop', i think it would a nice addition if Britain receive this within there line for higher tier aircraft. 

9_1_b1.jpg

Martin-Baker MB-5

The British Martin-Baker MB 5 was the ultimate development of a series of prototype fighter aircraft built during the Second World War. Neither the MB 5 nor its predecessors ever entered production, despite what test pilots described as excellent performance

Martin-Baker Aircraft actually began the MB 5 as the second Martin-Baker MB 3 prototype, designed to Air Ministry Specification F.18/39 for an agile, sturdy Royal Air Force fighter, able to fly faster than 400 mph. After the first MB 3 crashed in 1942, killing Val Baker, the second prototype was delayed. A modified MB 3 with a Rolls-Royce Griffon was planned as the MB 4, but a full redesign was chosen instead.

The re-designed aircraft, designated MB 5, used wings similar to the MB 3, but had an entirely new steel-tube fuselage. Power came from a Rolls-Royce Griffon 83 liquid-cooled V-12 engine, producing 2,340 hp (1,745 kW) and driving two three-bladed contra-rotating propellers. Armament was four 20 mm Hispano cannon, mounted in the wings outboard of the widely spaced retractable undercarriage.

It was built under the same contract that covered the building of the MB.3

martin-baker-mb-5-.jpg

Flight Testing

The first flight of the MB 5 prototype, serial R2496, took place on 23 May 1944. Performance was considered outstanding by test pilots, and the cockpit layout was praised by the Armament and Aircraft Experimental Establishment. The accessibility of the fuselage for maintenance was excellent, thanks to a system of detachable panels.

"In my opinion this is an outstanding aircraft, particularly when regarded in the light of the fact that it made its maiden flight as early as 23rd May 1944" – Test pilot Capt. Eric Brown, 1948

Acknowledged as one of the best aerobatic pilots in the UK, S/L Janusz Żurakowski from the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) at RAF Boscombe Down gave a spectacular display at the Farnborough Air Show in June 1946, with the Martin-Baker MB 5, a design he considered as a superlative piston-engined fighter, better in many ways than the Spitfire.

Martin%20Baker%20M.B.5.jpg

General characteristics

Crew: one
Length: 37 ft 9 in (11.5 m)
Wingspan: 35 ft 0 in (10.7 m)
Height: 15 ft 0 in (4.5 m)
Wing area: 262 ft² (24.3 m²)
Empty weight: 9,233 lb (4,188 kg)
Loaded weight: 11,500 lb (5,216 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 12,090 lb (5,484 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × Rolls-Royce Griffon 83 liquid-cooled V-12 engine, 2,340 hp (1,745 kW)
Performance

Maximum speed: 460 mph (740 km/h) at 20,000 ft (6,100 m)
Range: 1,100 mi (1,770 km)
Service ceiling: 40,000 ft (12,190 m)
Rate of climb: 3,800 ft/min (19.3 m/s)
Armament

Guns: 4× 20 mm Hispano Mk.II cannon

Source: Wikipedia
It would appear that the plane would be a fearsome opponent having, and it would fit very nicely fighting higher tier aircraft :salute:
Supporter Signature:

wjwd31Q.png
Edited by CherryBlossom
  • Upvote 33
medal

This has been suggested previously, however this has alot more information than the previous ones.

Id very much like to see this aircraft as a premium some day  :yes: 

Open for discussion :salute:  

• Upvote 2

So would love to see this plane, could really help with Bearcats  :good:

medal medal medal medal medal

Only thing I can flaw is Britain doesn't really need it. I mean, the Griffons and the Tempests are awesome T4 fighters, why add another one? Although I don't care for if it's a proto or not, it never saw production, so the RAF must have thought they didn't need it as much.
So as a Premium, yes by all means, but let's not keep it in the normal tree. (They should have done this with the bearcat)
medal

Only thing I can flaw is Britain doesn't really need it. I mean, the Griffons and the Tempests are awesome T4 fighters, why add another one? Although I don't care for if it's a proto or not, it never saw production, so the RAF must have thought they didn't need it as much.
So as a Premium, yes by all means, but let's not keep it in the normal tree. (They should have done this with the bearcat)

It was only not adopted by the RAF because the Meteors and other early jet projects where becoming the mainline fighters. The age of the piston engine was in its dying days.

• Upvote 4

Gib as era IV premium pls

Hmmm i was thinking rather in the actual tree. Mainly because all nations will be getting a 'super prop' of some type, and since this combines great speed and agility, i think this would be the candidate.  :salute:

• Upvote 2
medal

eb0c88b1da.png

I've asked Lassar 2 weeks ago, and his answer seems promising.

I really hope it does get added, since reports about it says its a mustang on steroids  :lol:

medal medal medal medal

I have always loved the style of propeller that is shown on this plane. Reminds me of the oh so weird Pa.400  :lol:

how about the CAC kangaroo  :Ds  the Aussie P51H would be a great T4 premium. this could be the prem under the spit mk14 while the kangaroo could be under the boomerangs that or the martin baker could be the last in the spitfire line. and if we're lucky the Aussies gets their own tech tree...plz...more wirraways  :yes:  no idea what they would get at T5 doe  :lol:

Edited by Th3hadyn
medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

It's a highly effective prototype that is both unique and powerful. Plus, contra-rotating props are fantastic. 

All around, it would make for a fine addition to the British tree. The only danger is that it might be too good. After all, in SB the lack of prop torque would be pretty nice. So, something like the Seafang should probably be added to the tree as well. 

Overall though, gib. I was mighty disappointed that the gold Spit XIV edged this out initially. 

I made somewhere already a post about it (don't find it anymore though) I would really like to see this plane!

The MB 5 was one of the best british prop planes, it wasn't understandable for the company and a lot other people why it wasn't put into production (there's a quote at the Martin-Baker-website if you don't believe me)

It's one of these successful planes which only remain in the prototype status because war ending (like A7M) or other minor reasons (like XA-38 and Saunders-Roe SR.A/1)

The only danger is that it might be too good.

It's not better, but also not worse than other post/almost-post war planes (like La-9, F8F, P-51H, Ta 152H-1, Ta 152B-5, Spiteful, Sea Fury, A7Ms, Ki-94 II, J7W)

It was (unlike most German and Japanese props) not designed to hunt bombers at high altitude, which give it a advantage at current maps. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

You know, this doesn't have to be a premium. The Horten that we're getting didn't fly, the V1 flew but we're getting the V3. That will be a regular. The Japanese are getting the R2Y2 V1, V2, V3 which none were built. These will be regulars. The MB-5 was flown and should be ingame and a brit regular.

medal medal medal medal

You know, this doesn't have to be a premium. The Horten that we're getting didn't fly, the V1 flew but we're getting the V3. That will be a regular. The Japanese are getting the R2Y2 V1, V2, V3 which none were built. These will be regulars. The MB-5 was flown and should be ingame and a brit regular.

I agree it should be in the tree.  :)s

medal

YES..

I only wish it could be a non premium... :3

medal

YES..

I only wish it could be a non premium... :3

Probally it will be a non-premium...   :Ds

Why this aircraft was not put into production remains one of the aircraft industry's minor mysteries, and one which is often the subject of interesting speculation. Some will say that, as a piston-engined aircraft, it came too late to be acceptable in the advent of jet fighters. However, had a decision about its future been taken early by the authorities, it could have gone into production soon enough for it to have reached squadrons in sufficient numbers to have been engaged effectively in World War II. Disappointment in failing to put MB5 into production was felt keenly by all at Martin-Baker and shared by many Royal Air Force officers and other officials

http://www.martin-baker.com/about/mb1-mb5

It's one of these really successful prototype desinges like XA-38 or Saunders-Roe SR A/1... The I-185 M-71 has less rights to be in the main tree than these planes.

(The first I-185 was used in service though like Ta 152H-0)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

No. No more tier 4 bias. I'm sick of hokkaido

Thats not your problem

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this a necro? I mean, that last post was like 10 days ago or something... one of my threads from January got revived and nobody seemed to care...

Anyways, I'm not sure this would be that great of a plane. Something like the P51H would outperform is in pretty much every aspect. It's lighter, just as powerful, is faster, has a higher climb rate...

Honestly the top Griffon Spitfires seem more powerful than this.

medal medal medal