SdKfz 234 (Puma)

_Katyusha_

"Reverse driver: Pull out, full speed!"

"The first three production variants of the Sd.Kfz. 234 series featured 8-wheel stearing as well as a forward and a separate rear driving position which allowed the crew to drive the vehicle at full speed in either direction. Reverse driving at top speed is a very important feature for lightly armoured reconnaissance vehicles, enabling them to pull out of dangerous situations immediately, instead of carefully backing out of a tight spot or turning around under fire."

Well that's a good damn piece of german engineering, ~80 km/h in reverse because why not :Ps

Edited by p0nyrider
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

"Reverse driver: Pull out, full speed!"

"The first three production variants of the Sd.Kfz. 234 series featured 8-wheel stearing as well as a forward and a separate rear driving position which allowed the crew to drive the vehicle at full speed in either direction. Reverse driving at top speed is a very important feature for lightly armoured reconnaissance vehicles, enabling them to pull out of dangerous situations immediately, instead of carefully backing out of a tight spot or turning around under fire."

Well that's a good damn piece of german engineering, ~80 km/h in reverse because why not :Ps

"Full speed".... Is it referring to  the vehicles maximum geared reverse speed, or is it implying that it could go 50mph in reverse....?

I'm just wondering when the hell 50mph in reverse would ever be helpful. I mean, to pull back quickly, just rev the engine up and let the clutch go in reverse. If you've ever done that in a sports car, you'd scare the shit out of yourself... I mean, yeah, I realize the Puma is probably only a little heavier than a Porsche, but still. What if you wanted to make a turn at 50 mph? You couldn't. You'd slide about and probably roll the thing over. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

"Full speed".... Is it referring to  the vehicles maximum geared reverse speed, or is it implying that it could go 50mph in reverse....?

I'm just wondering when the hell 50mph in reverse would ever be helpful. I mean, to pull back quickly, just rev the engine up and let the clutch go in reverse. If you've ever done that in a sports car, you'd scare the floral out of yourself... I mean, yeah, I realize the Puma is probably only a little heavier than a Porsche, but still. What if you wanted to make a turn at 50 mph? You couldn't. You'd slide about and probably roll the thing over. 

The 234's were designed as a scout vehicle. It didn't have a reverse per se, but instead a second driver with forward gears.  The idea behind it was that the vehicle could hide in a location, providing spotting for artillery, or taking pot shots with its main gun. Then, when discovered, rather than slowly backing away, the second driver would take command and drive away at top speed.

The 234's were designed as a scout vehicle. It didn't have a reverse per se, but instead a second driver with forward gears.  The idea behind it was that the vehicle could hide in a location, providing spotting for artillery, or taking pot shots with its main gun. Then, when discovered, rather than slowly backing away, the second driver would take command and drive away at top speed.

*sigh* What a bunch of crazy German engineers. But i'll tell you, they've done a damn good job with their crazy ideas!

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

*sigh* What a bunch of crazy German engineers. But i'll tell you, they've done a damn good job with their crazy ideas!

Believe it or not, it wasn't originally a German idea.

It was based off of the Austrian ADGZ. The Austrian army was using the ADGZ armored car at the time of Anschluss. 12 were used by the army and 15 were used by the police. The Germans used them for police work and some were taken on by the SS and used on the Eastern front and in the Balkans. The SS ordered an additional 25 ADGZ which were delivered in 1942. An interesting feature of this vehicle was that there was no "rear:" either end was capable of driving the unit. 

ADGZ-2.jpg

Captured ADGZ in German Service.

• 3 weeks later...

it better be in Wt or i quit  :crazy:  it was so OP in men of war AS and this could counter the T50s. the puma went 92kph right? i have a book that ses "the puma could go over 100kph when going down hill"  :lol:

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

Smin1080p, where are youuu ?

It's a must have vehicle !

Often times the staff members can be busy. I'm sure he'll make it around to the thread when he's able to. 

this could counter the T50s. the puma went 92kph right? i have a book that ses "the puma could go over 100kph when going down hill" 

It would be interesting to see how something like that would develop between a 234 & a T-50. I think the 234 would have the maneuverability, and depending on the situation, that would be the deciding factor. 

As for how fast vehicles went.... Generally there's three speeds... Offroad, on-road (sustained), and on-road(maximum/geared max). Most vehicles -should- do more than their geared maximum down hill, however it's often with consequences due to the vehicles not being designed for that type of speed. 

I'm sure that the M38 could probably do 105-115 kph downhill; it's geared max was around 100kph. Does it make it safe? not really. To me it seems slipping it into neutral (or burying the needle into the redline...) at 60 mph/100kph is reserved for when you're caught between a rock and a hard place and there's no alternative... 

Often times the staff members can be busy. I'm sure he'll make it around to the thread when he's able to. 

It would be interesting to see how something like that would develop between a 234 & a T-50. I think the 234 would have the maneuverability, and depending on the situation, that would be the deciding factor. 

As for how fast vehicles went.... Generally there's three speeds... Offroad, on-road (sustained), and on-road(maximum/geared max). Most vehicles -should- do more than their geared maximum down hill, however it's often with consequences due to the vehicles not being designed for that type of speed. 

I'm sure that the M38 could probably do 105-115 kph downhill; it's geared max was around 100kph. Does it make it safe? not really. To me it seems slipping it into neutral (or burying the needle into the redline...) at 60 mph/100kph is reserved for when you're caught between a rock and a hard place and there's no alternative... 

ah the M38 wolfhound such a sexy armored car. that would have to be added if the puma was added imagine all the race game modes they could add  :lol:

• Upvote 1

ah the M38 wolfhound such a sexy armored car. that would have to be added if the puma was added imagine all the race game modes they could add  :lol:

or with m18 hellcat, which is tank destroyer but top speed around 92 km/h 

Yeap. M38 W/ Chaffee turret would be epic :)

[Media] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbP5GTZlFpk [/Media]

Race mode is already a work-in-progress.

Somehow I think that wheeled vehicles would have an easier time accelerating in neutral than a tracked vehicle (contact area drag). 

I suppose you could always risk grenading the engine by burying it into the redline.

so its a tracked 76mm gun that goes 92kph...america...u know how to makes things so OP  :lol:  even irl  :crazy:

so its a tracked 76mm gun that goes 92kph...america...u know how to makes things so OP  :lol:  even irl  :crazy:

Meh. I suppose for a TD 92 kph is pretty fast...  

The problem is, we made things like this in real life, and when we ask for them in-game.... people just hate the US for it... 

• Upvote 1

Meh. I suppose for a TD 92 kph is pretty fast...  

The problem is, we made things like this in real life, and when we ask for them in-game.... people just hate the US for it... 

huh? even the British thought the M18 hellcat was so good they named a road after it :crazy: (bad joke) i don't see why it cant be added...u could 1 shot it with a HE round it only had 18mm of armor... 

There were 4 main modes and they owuld fit in perfectyl from late tier 1 to tier 4. They wouldnt be able to engage the main tanks head on most of the time but would be perfectly capable of takign them out form the side and rear. Though they owuldnt be ordered in chronological order for balance resons.

Tier 1 BR 2.3

SdKfz 234/1

Equiped with an Open top Turret armed with a 20mm kwk 38/L55 gun.

Tier 2 BR 3.3/3.7

Sdkfz 234/3

Open superstructure, armed with a short barrel 75mm kwk 37

Tier 3 Br 4.7/5.0

Sdkfz 234/2

The most familiar variant with ann enclosed turret armed with a 50mm kwk 39 gun.

Tier 4 Br 6.0

Sdkfs/4 "Pakwagen)

Upen superstructure armed with a long barreled 75mm Pak 40

• Upvote 2

this vehicle would be great, would love to see some maps where it could utilize that speed,we need more space to plan more 'strategically'  and move round the sides, Even Kursk seems a bit small, due to it's open nature giving clear shots and view half way across the map, especially from the top of the hills

medal medal