English Electric Canberra Interdictor

MB16

I apologize if this has been done, I did a search of the forums and whilst the Canberras' 20mms came up they didn't seem to go into much depth. I also apologize for any errors, I was around an hour into writing this when the page died and lost ~40 mins of work, so I may have rushed things a tad.  

English Electric Canberra Interdictors

09-canberra.jpg

Canberra B(i) Mk.8

What is it?

For those who don't know an interdictor is a type of ground attack aircraft that operates far behind enemy lines. In general this means an aircraft that has a long endurance, a large payload and is generally quite fast; what this meant for the Canberra was shoving four 20mm into the bomb-bay, adding some hard points to the wings and calling it a day. The Canberra had two interdictor variants the B(i) Mk.6 and B(I) Mk.8, however the Mk.6  was only an interim design, to tide the RAF over until introduction of the Mk.8.  

Specifications

​(Originally copied from Wiki with modifications, so sorry for any errors)

General characteristics

Performance

Armament

• Guns: 4 x 20 mm Hispano Mk.V cannons mounted in rear bomb bay, 500-525 rounds per gun (depending on source).
  • Bombs (internal): 3 x 1000lb bombs. Now whilst I have seen nothing that states that the B(I) Mk.6 couldn’t carry these 3 1000lb bombs, most sources I have read only mention it for the Mk.8. 
  • Hardpoint/Pylons: Both the Mk.6 and Mk.8 had under-wing pylons outboard of the engines, these could both carry either a 1000lb bomb or a rocket pod with 37 2inch (51mm) air-to-ground rockets  

Why should it be in war thunder?

I have always loved flying games, whether it was Ace Combat or DCS world, and with all these games ground attack was always my favorite, as nothing can seem to beat skimming just above the trees, adrenalin pumping, keeping one eye on the sky and another on the altimeter. What we have here is a Jet attacker with a reasonable range, a good payload (for both variants) and a very impressive max speed (at altitude at least), able to take out all those pesky light targets the heavy bombers don't like with its abundance of 20mm ammo (2000-2100 rounds) and a few heavy hitting bombs for those tougher nuts. However for those of you who don't play British or like to have a game which is 'balanced' it does also have some down sides. I see this being a top tier (~9.0 BR) which will mean that whilst it is fast any persistent equal BR jet pilot will be able to catch it. its climb rate is also not great [citation needed], and as an attacker it will start at the fighter spawn meaning that it's going to take a while to climb.      

Now the controversial bit:

Depending on the source, these jets are either just in, or just out of the cut off date:

Mk6:

Depending on who you listen to the Mk.6 was prototype/operational some time between July 1953 and march 1955 depending on the source.   

Mk8:

Now the MK.8 is much nicer with the prototype flying on the 23rd July 1954, and the first production model available June 1954.

Sources:

http://www.scribd.com/read/230635492/RAF-Canberra-Units-of-the-Cold-War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_Canberra

http://www.bywat.co.uk/types01.html

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2009/05/04/english-electric-canberra/

• Upvote 8
medal medal

Continued...

Now the most important question:

Is it balanced/suitable?

Speed: 933 km/h (couldn't find sea level speed)

- Fast enough to 'flank' enemy positions before the game ends.

- If it has an alert pilot it should be able to avoid incoming enemy jets long enough to get back to friendly lines.

- Whilst a skilled pilot should be able to avoid unnecessary conflict, it's not so fast that it can never be caught.

Climb rate: 17m/s

- Whilst the climb rate is good for a bomber as an attacker it is somewhat lacking. This may confine it to low level flying and stop it becoming a bomber hunter or taking over the standard Canberras role.   

Armament/Payload: 4 x 20mm Hispano Mk.5s, 2 x 37 2inch rocket pods or 2-5 1000lb bombs

-The quad 20mm is the backbone on all high tier British aircraft so there isn't much to mention on this front, what makes it interesting though is its 500-525 round per gun, quite a bit more than the Meteors 780 rounds total. This makes the the interdictor Canberra ideal for taking out lightly armoured targets which heavy bombers sometimes ignore.

-The bomb load is either 'okay' with 2 1000lb bombs or good with 5. These would allow the Canberra to engage heavier targets and damage bases (2268kg of bombs compared to the 4000kg needed to destroy a base (apparently))

Game play:

- Whilst others may disagree I personally find level bombing rather dull from both the bombers and fighters point of view (both AB and RB). At the moment if you play a bomber you start the game, climb, fly to the enemy base, climb, drop your load and then either loiter over the base (AB) or run your little socks off back to base (RB) hoping that no enemy fighters take an interest in you. Whilst from the fighters point of view you start the game and either ignore the bombers or spend 5-10 mins climbing up to them, just to have them dive down to try and escape you and then get shot by the people who chose the ignore option. I feel the Canberra interdictor would add a fun (shock, horror!) alternative as it gives bomber pilots the option to get stuck in and play a more 'active' role in the battle, whilst it gives the fighter another target to shoot at which isn't just going to try and out climb/run them.      

medal medal

just out of curiosity what ace combat was this plane in?

As mentioned the Canberra wasn't in AC, I was saying how i have always been more exited by fighter-bombers/attackers than pure air superiority fighters.

EG: De Havilland Mosquito, Fairchild A-10, Tupolev Tu-2, Panavia Tornado, McDonnell Douglas F15E, Blackburn Buccaneer, Sukhoi Su-25, Sepecat Jaguar, to name a few  :Ps

medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

As a fan of the EE canberra, I would like to see this version in game  :salute:

Also, this could lead to bomber vs bomber fight since it has fixed guns :3

medal medal medal medal

Has no one mentioned that Lassar has said it is already a possibility, along with the B57B?

I don't see any problem with demonstrating that there's further support!

Russia is getting two armed jet bombers, Germany is getting two, and Japan is if you count those prototypes. Adding the Interdictor for Britain should be obvious to give them an Era V attacker.

Lassar may make comments on it, but it was not confirmed. Until then, lets have three cheers for armed jet bombers like this one.
  • Upvote 2

I don't see any problem with demonstrating that there's further support!

Russia is getting two armed jet bombers, Germany is getting two, and Japan is if you count those prototypes. Adding the Interdictor for Britain should be obvious to give them an Era V attacker.

Lassar may make comments on it, but it was not confirmed. Until then, lets have three cheers for armed jet bombers like this one.

Of course, I was just surprised that no one has mentioned it. I'm not dissing the suggestion. In fact, I plan to make a suggestion in the same circumstances shortly. 

I should probably also point out that the B (I) Mk6 was not operational in 1953. The most reliable source I could find on this is from the squadron that operated it's website, which states 1955, if my memory serves me correctly. The date of 1953 most likely comes from the Mk5, which was a prototype for the B6 Edited by Gerako98

• 3 weeks later...

seeing as other nations are getting attackers/jet bombers with guns i don't see why the british tree can't have it, even with some sources saying it wasnt ready till 1955, its not throwing the game balance out the window, tbh i believe the il-28 would outclass this in game preformance wise

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Lassar has said he is considering it.

Not to canberra, but to IL-28. Even so. I think possible will end with adding b-57B and canberra mk.6

(in a british accent) Yes Please I'd like to have the Ground Attack version of the Canberra

medal

• 1 year later...

dont the venom and vampire cap the "heavy fighters/ground attackers" brit line right now, and arent they scheduled to be moved elsewhere in the tech tree? having something to put there in their place might be wise

dont the venom and vampire cap the "heavy fighters/ground attackers" brit line right now, and arent they scheduled to be moved elsewhere in the tech tree? having something to put there in their place might be wise

The Venom and Vampire cap the heavy fighter line because they are De Havilland. They are being moved for balance reasons I imagine so there aren't people coming from a Tempest right to a top tier jet. The reason the Canberra's shouldn't be in the heavy fighter line is because they are realistically classed bombers, therefore they will be in the bomber line like they are now.
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal