Junkers Ju-388

Century

Junkers_Ju_388L-1.jpg

The Junkers Ju 388 Störtebeker was a World War II German Luftwaffe multi-role aircraft based on the Ju 88 airframe by way of the Ju 188. It differed from its predecessors in being intended for high altitude operation, with design features such as a pressurized cockpit for its crew. The Ju 388 was introduced very late in the war, and production problems along with the deteriorating war conditions meant that few were built.

This plane was produced to counterattack to the thread of American B-29 Superfortress. Focke Wulf Ta-152, Ta-154 and He-219 had lack of high alt operation so this plane was here to fill their blank. One of the last mass produced emergency plans of WW2 Germany. Also this plane was planned to be built in Japan Empire for Japanese Forces but due to lack of sources and ongoing war, it wasn't able to be made.

One of these planes (L type, photo-recoinnanse plane) were captured by USA.

Specifications (Ju 388J)(J type=Heavy Fighter/Night Fighter)

General characteristics

• Crew: 3
  • Length: 16.29 m (53 ft 5 in)
  • Wingspan: 22.00 m (72 ft 2 in)
  • Height: 4.35 m (14 ft 3 in)
  • Wing area: 56.00 m² (602.77 ft²)
  • Empty weight: 10,400 kg (22,928 lb)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 14,675 kg (32,352 lb)
  • Powerplant: 2 × BMW 801J 14-cylinder air-cooled radial engine, 1,350 kW (1,810 hp) each

Performance

• Maximum speed: 616 km/h at 12,285 m (383 mph at 40,305 ft)
  • Cruise speed: 540 km/h (335 mph)
  • Service ceiling: 13,440 m (44,095 ft)
  • Rate of climb: 378 m/min (1,240 ft/min)
  • Boost speed:655 km/h (407 mph) at 9,080 m (29,790 ft) with MW 50 water-methanol boost (Jumo 213E only)

Armament

• Ju 388J: 2 × 20 mm MG 151/20 cannons and 2 × 30 mm (1.18 in) MK 103 or MK 108 forward-firing cannons in underfuselage pod and 2 × 13 mm (.51 in) MG 131 machine guns in remote-control Hecklafette tail turret
  • Ju 388K: 3,000 kg (6,612 lb) of bombs internally and 2 × 13 mm (.51 in) MG 131 machine guns in remote-control Hecklafette tail turret
  • Ju 388L: 2 × 13 mm (.51 in) MG 131 machine guns in remote-control Hecklafette tail turret

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_388

Some pictures of this plane:

tyj76t.jpg

Junkers_Ju388L-1.jpg

ju388part2.jpg

I don't know if Nazi symbol is a problem in suggestions section so I'm putting these pictures into a spoiler.

[spoiler]

Ju388-4010-24af+s.jpg

6301%5B1%5D.jpg

ouiuuiiuigyi.jpg

ouiiui.jpg

efwfewfewfew.jpg

[/spoiler]

Ju388_USKZf-s.jpg

2elgpc2.jpg

2mi3zps.jpg

(thanks to "TT33a" for the graph)

Edited by Century
  • Upvote 113

I was wondering when this plane would be suggested! IMO the Junkers Ju-88/188/388 line hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as it deserves. It was the Luftwaffe's freaking Wunderbomber for Pete's sake!

Edited by James_Polymer
  • Upvote 6

Seems like no one have noticed "remote-control Hecklafette tail turret"

I don't know about you but I really like these remote controlled tail turrets.

Edited by Century
  • Upvote 2

THIS WOULD BE THE PRECESSOR OF THE ME 410B6/R3!

YESSSSSSS

(btw, try to find even more data, like speed charts, climb etc. power output of the engine, production bleuprints= more change it comes in the game)

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

THIS WOULD BE THE PRECESSOR OF THE ME 410B6/R3!

YESSSSSSS

(btw, try to find even more data, like speed charts, climb etc. power output of the engine, production bleuprints= more change it comes in the game)

That's actually not my duty. I'm putting just a very simple and general information in here. If Gaijin likes the plane, I'm sure that they would search it a lot. (Also, people doesnt like long articles generally)

BUT

If anyone have information and shares it under here, I would share it on original post with giving his/her name and thanking to him.

Edited by Century

That's actually not my duty. I'm putting just a very simple and general information in here. If Gaijin likes it, I'm sure that they would search it a lot. (Also, people doesnt like long articles generally)

BUT

If anyone have information and shares it under here, I would share it on original post with giving his/her name and thanking to him.

actually, it may not be your duty, but gajin will approve it faster, and start work on it faster!

(this happened to me)

Edited by BananaVG
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal

I don't know about you OP, but I personally don't see an issue with the Swastika on German fighters... they had them irl, and I think the excuses for not having them in a game is kinda.... stupid (especially when you have the other mass-murdering F-Wad all over his tanks...) but to avoid political discussions.... on to the topic

It certainly does look like it would be an interesting late rank addition to the German Heavy Fighter line, and it probably will be included if/when the B-29 and Tu-4 FINALLY get added....

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal

I don't know about you OP, but I personally don't see an issue with the Swastika on German fighters... they had them irl, and I think the excuses for not having them in a game is kinda.... stupid (especially when you have the other mass-murdering F-Wad all over his tanks...) but to avoid political discussions.... on to the topic

It certainly does look like it would be an interesting late rank addition to the German Heavy Fighter line, and it probably will be included if/when the B-29 and Tu-4 FINALLY get added....

It's not about me, it's about the general forum rules. http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/12738-war-thunder-rules/

Edited by Century
  • Upvote 1

Didn't mention this before, but did anyone else notice the cockpit glass similarity with the Junkers EF 132?

3bj132.jpg

medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

3000 kg bombload? forward firing guns? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO0x7vL2T90

It has automat-tail turret too.

Edited by Century
  • Upvote 1

The not-so-famous "Störtebeker"...

Hmm... Might be a good addition to the game, since it looks nice for tier III-IV rapid bombing rushes. The Nachtjager looks good too, by having a respectable amount of armament and good characteristics for the role.

That cockpit looks very much like a greenhouse. Instant pilot kills incoming!

(I'd like to have the Fw 191 as a premium before having this plane, since 191 is actually better with all that "advanced" stuff! :D)