M8 Greyhound

Hello. I think the M8 Greyhound should be added to the game. The M8 Greyhound is an American armored car.

Specs:
Dimensions (L-w-h): 5 (oa) x 2.53 x 2.23 m (16ft5in x 8ft3in x 7ft5in)

Total weight, battle ready: 8.6 short tons (7.8 tons)

Crew: 4 (driver, commander/radio, gunner, loader)

Propulsion: Hercules JXD 6-cyl gasoline, 110 hp (82 kW)

Suspension: 6x6 individual leaf spring

Speed: 56 mph (90 km/h)

Range: 560 km at medium speed (350 mi)

Armament: Main: 37 mm (1.46 in) M6 QF AT gun

Secondary: cal.50 (12.7 mm) and cal.30 (7.62 mm) Browning M1919

Armor: From 8 to 15 mm (0.31-0.59 in)

Total production: 8523 built

Source: http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/US/M8_Greyhound.php

If you would like, here is a video of someone talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZxO6KAsVU

EDIT: Made a poster in Paint.NET. Feel free to use this: [spoiler] M8_Greyhound_Poster.jpg?noCache=14221512[/spoiler]

EDIT 2: New posters, made by Carrier_!

[spoiler] QSShB9i.jpgs04GC31.jpgldbFjjl.jpgSWHhEAf.jpg[/spoiler]

Edited by Carrier_
  • Upvote 62
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

open for discussion, you might want to add some pictures of this vehicle though

• Upvote 9

Hmm.... only issue with the Greyhound is that it packed a 37mm gun.... which doesn't do crap against most tanks.... so... it'll have to have some sort of trick to make it viable against enemy armor. Perhaps the ability to deploy AT Mines? (They may not always kill a tank, but they'll certainly blow the tracks off)

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

Hmm.... only issue with the Greyhound is that it packed a 37mm gun.... which doesn't do crap against most tanks.... so... it'll have to have some sort of trick to make it viable against enemy armor. Perhaps the ability to deploy AT Mines? (They may not always kill a tank, but they'll certainly blow the tracks off)

1.3 BR same gun as M3 stuart with better mobility and a 50 cal as AA gun.

Edited by Banelord300
  • Upvote 14
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

With the SdKfz 234 "Puma" having been sent to development, I would think that the Greyhound would make a good counter to that.

• Upvote 10

At 90 Km/H it could possibly be the fastest tank in War Thunder yet, so if it encounters a KV-1 it would say "Oh nope nope NOPE!" and drive away, FAST. It has a machine gun too. As for the 37 mm gun, it might depend on the shells. In the video that ammunition looks like it could send a nasty blow.

• Upvote 3

At 90 Km/H it could possibly be the fastest tank in War Thunder yet, so if it encounters a KV-1 it would say "Oh nope nope NOPE!" and drive away, FAST. It has a machine gun too. As for the 37 mm gun, it might depend on the shells. In the video that ammunition looks like it could send a nasty blow.

or, if they added land mines like I talked about earlier, could you imagine one of these starting on the West side of Ash River in a three-cap-battle? One of these little bastards run up to the center zone, go around, lay a couple mines on the bridge, then fall back to the zone and begin capping.... cue an enemy tank strolling up on the bridge... and finding the mine.... and the M8s team-mates taking the zone on the hill..... TARGET PRACTICE!!! XD

medal medal medal

[spoiler]M8-greyhound-paris-1944.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler] M8-Greyhound-Haugh-3.jpg [/spoiler]

[spoiler] 06919.jpg [/spoiler]

[spoiler] M8-Greyhound-Haugh-2.jpg [/spoiler]

Edited by Heinkel280
  • Upvote 8
medal medal medal

Yeah, but it'd be kinda dependant on us getting more soft targets onto GF maps (and on them mattering) to not sit at a stupid BR.

And with landmines... discourage anyone from trying to take the cap back :p

We heard what you want the first time, cut the spam.  If you're going to keep talking about it, explain it further or something rather than basically just repeating that you want it.

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal

Mines would be useful, but I don't know if the M8 carried them and they'd probably need something to make it look less "Arcadey".

OP,please add a poll.

90 km/h :Os .This thing will cap first everytime.+1

What would the poll options be?

Mines would be useful, but I don't know if the M8 carried them and they'd probably need something to make it look less "Arcadey".

What would the poll options be?

Yay or nay.

Sure 90 kmh top but P/W ratio on the M8 is worse than the M16/M13 GMC and they take long straight lines to get to their top speeds.

Or hills.

Edited by Orlunu

well the Puma got passed to development so there is no reason this shouldn't be added +1

(that and i liked it in Men of War AS)

• Upvote 5

There, I added a poll.

Sure 90 kmh top but P/W ratio on the M8 is worse than the M16/M13 GMC and they take long straight lines to get to their top speeds.

But the M8 Greyhound doesn't use an AA cannon like the M16 and the M13, it uses a 37 mm cannon. I don't know their armor by heart either, but doesn't the M8 have more?

• Upvote 1

Yes, if we're getting armoured cars (eventually) this would be first on the list (I predict) as it was the main armoured car of the US.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

We need armoured cars, if the game engine allows

We do already have a wheeled car. It's a Russian Tier 2, the GAZ. It's not the best in all aspects but it sure is fun to pretend to be a car  :crazy:

Thanks for the support guys

• Upvote 1