Is M103 really a "HEAVY" tank?

BlitzCross

Just wondering where M103 gains its weight from?

M103 and IS4, almost the same weight, but M103 is slower (small engine) and its armor is much thinner. So what stuff do they put in M103? Friger, air condictioner or beers? 

Auscam (Posted )

Note

Moved to Ground Forces Discussion - USA - General
  • Upvote 3

• Technical Moderator

well for starters, the turret is kinda... large, or tall? I have a feeling that a lot of stress is placed on the chassis due to this, so you might have issues regarding suspension and transmission problems, is the chassis smaller than the IS-4?

it's because of the size of the damn thing, it's huge. And all of the armour is concentrated on the front, it's in a curved shape of varying thickness, which is very hard to model properly and is why it's currently in a bugged state in warthunder. The IS-4, like most russian tanks, is very small and has its armour placed at very steep angles, which allows it to be cheaper to build, have better armour protection, a lower silhouette, a better power/weight ratio and thus better mobility than other tanks with similar performance, but this comes at the cost low gun depression and small internal space, which is why the reload rate is so slow and why a penetrating hit can easily take out the tank in one shot. 

Edited by i_ivanof
medal medal medal

which is why the reload rate is so slow and why a penetrating hit can easily take out the tank in one shot. 

Should be =/= is.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

It's armor is bugged due to being hard to model, it's gun doesn't have correct penetration values, not having spalling modeled really screws over it's solid shot ammo and it's reload is longer than it should be. Fix all that and it'll be a great heavy. And maybe give it it's heat round.

Edited by IAmFebz
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Should be =/= is.

it has the same gun as the ISU-122s but reloads a whopping 7 seconds slower, it also has the 2nd slowest reload rate of all tier 5 tanks, after the ISU-152

and if you do manage to penetrate the IS-4, then it does die rather quickly

medal medal medal

it has the same gun as the ISU-122s but reloads a whopping 7 seconds slower, it also has the 2nd slowest reload rate of all tier 5 tanks, after the ISU-152

and if you do manage to penetrate the IS-4, then it does die rather quickly

At least when both are without a crew/modification/unresearched, it's 26s on ISU-122 and 27.1s on the Stalins.

The Jagdtiger, which by comparsion is gigantic, needs 26 seconds...

medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

One thing I've noticed about the M103; the driver is supine - it was my understanding from "trusted sources" that the chieftain was the first tank to have a driver in a supine position rather than sat upright... the beak also looks a bit "chieftain" like too ;)

medal medal medal

Just wondering where M103 gains its weight from?

M103 and IS4, almost the same weight, but M103 is slower (small engine) and its armor is much thinner. So what stuff do they put in M103? Friger, air condictioner or beers? 

Because the US Army went to a Classing system unlike others.

1) Light tanks are armed with 76mm Cannons

2) Medium tanks are Armed with 90mm Cannons

3) Heavy tanks are Armed with 120mm Cannons

^Was the classing system that the M103 was placed into.

That held for the M41, The M46/7/8 Pattons, and the M103.

Early/mid 1950s tank classes =/= WW2 ones.

medal medal medal medal

M103 interior shots and a cross section detail, from Hunnicutt's "Firepower".

Note the driver's seating.

JZPCr59.jpg

Douc8kr.jpg

(Apologies for the small image sizes. I can post them larger if needed.)

Edited by Meplat
medal

• 3 weeks later...

M103 armor done right would pretty much be impenetrable in this game.....Is4m gun is what? 217pen at 500m?  M103 armor at its thinnest is like effective 190mm on its LFP, its UFP weakest point might be like 230mm effective...

ITs turret is 127 but sloped and slanted well, giving it really nice effective armor. 

Just like good old American cattle, M103s are fed nothing but the greasiest food in order to gain weight. Considering the amount of fat people in the US, obesity = freedom.

YOU CAN'T DENY MY LOGIC

medal

Just like good old American cattle, M103s are fed nothing but the greasiest food in order to gain weight. Considering the amount of fat people in the US, obesity = freedom.

YOU CAN'T DENY MY LOGIC

Sure I can.

Remove Texas from the US and the ratio of Obesity in US greatly shifts the other way.

Fun Fact  :Ds

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Sure I can.

Remove Texas from the US and the ratio of Obesity in US greatly shifts the other way.

Fun Fact  :Ds

I've lived in Dallas before for 2 years, sadly, I wouldn't be surprised considering that 4 of the highest Obesity dense cities are in Texas.

medal medal

I've lived in Dallas before for 2 years, sadly, I wouldn't be surprised considering that 4 of the highest Obesity dense cities are in Texas.

There's a joke. 

Texans go "Everything is bigger in Texas"

The rebut?

"Including the People"

Anyway, let's not get too distracted with amusing interstate humor.

The Problem with the M103 is two-fold

1) Gaijin can't model curved armor very well, at least they haven't got the model parts down to a small enough scale yet.

2) HEAT and Solid Shot rounds are both greatly mis-modelled in what they do on a penetration.

Fix both of those, and the Tank will be every bit able of dealing with a Maus or IS-4M.

Till then, leave it in your hanger.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I think a decent amount of the M103s' weight comes from its' turret.  IIRC the turret itself weighs something around 14-15 or so tons by itself.  That still means the hull weighs 43~ tons, so the weight's in there somewhere, we just have to find where exactly.

medal medal