T92 Light Tank

Mitch_US

The T92 which was a contender to replace the walker bulldog was built, but never adopted. I think it would be a great addition to the US light tree. The tank features a 76mm auto-loading gun and could carry 60 rounds. The engine was forward mounted to give the tank more protection in the event of a direct hit. The tank features no armor worth of mention, but does have a back mounted turret. Prototype in 1955 (Azumazi/Hunnicuts books).

The gun can pump out 12 rounds a minute, and that would be a round every five seconds. The tank features a 375hp Continental AOI-628-1 engine. The tank is capable of 35MPH (56KPH) and weighs only 18.5 tonnes. The tank has no armor worthy of mention (see attached image provided by user Azumazi). The tank featured three machine guns: one coax .30 caliber, one .30 caliber in left cupola and a .50 caliber in the right cupola. The 76mm gun was a T185E1 (no penetration values available, probably similar to M41's gun). The turret traverse speed is 15*/second.

All credit for provided tank stats from user Azumazi

72m8Iw7.png

The tanks' forward mounted image can be seen here.

T92_Light_Tank.JPG

The tank featured rear doors for the crew. This was to increase the likely-hood of crew survivability in case the tank sustained a direct hit.

sheet03.jpg

Finally a brief history (sourced wikipedia, no stats provided from wikipedia).

T92 Light Tank was an innovative American light tank developed in 1950s by Aircraft Armaments. At 18.5 tonnes, 5m length, it was designed as an airborne/airdropped replacement for the 5 tonnes heavier M41 Walker Bulldog. The T92 was never accepted into service.

The main gun was a conventional 76 mm cannon with a very low profile turret. Little more was exposed than the main gun and two crew cupolas which allowed 50 caliber and 30 caliber machine guns to fire buttoned up. The engine was moved to the front, which increased protection, and a rear access door provided an escape hatch and protection while reloading; this layout was later adopted by the contemporary Israeli Merkava battle tank. It had a crew of four with a semi-automatic loading system. It carried 60 main gun rounds, and automatically ejected spent shell casings.

Study of the Soviet PT-76 led to a new swimming requirement for light tanks, for which the design could not be modified. The T-92 would be passed over and the M551 Sheridan was eventually adopted instead. It fielded an unconventional 152 mm gun-missile system which would suffer many technical problems, and its swimming system would be rarely used in combat. The French AMX-13 tank was a somewhat similar design that was successfully fielded.

More photos on this website: http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/david_lueck/t-92_light_tank/

Great photos for modeling and/or research.

Sources:

Forum User:Azumazi provided all photocopies of Hunnicuts books.

Wikipedia for historical write up.

Photos sourced from Google images. You can find image source by clicking on them.

Additional photos: http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/david_lueck/t-92_light_tank/

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal

Looks to me like somebody big stepped on an AMX 13-75 :Ds .

But seriously, do we need more US light tanks? I think it is much more important to fix the current US-tanks. And the MM. And the BRs.

Oh yeah, excellent idea.

Let's keep adding post-1945 (even post-korea) tanks to the game so german 1941 tigers have to fight vs M1A1 abrams when the game's complete!

• Upvote 1
medal

Well, then wait until there are battles US vs. SU, I suggest...

Dude this is just a suggestion to the devs. I really don't care what you think about this. I am providing the devs with another option.  It is up to them to decide what makes it and what doesn't.

• Upvote 1

Dude this is just a suggestion to the devs. I really don't care what you think about this. I am providing the devs with another option.  It is up to them to decide what makes it and what doesn't.

I make a point regarding whether this is needed. You say, it should counter the T-54. I remind you that these two tanks do not even fight each other. And now you do not care... Well, why did you defend your suggestion in the first place? And since when shouldn't we discuss whether your suggestion makes sense or not?

:facepalm:

• Upvote 1

I make a point regarding whether this is needed. You say, it should counter the T-54. I remind you that these two tanks do not even fight each other. And now you do not care... Well, why did you defend your suggestion in the first place? And since when shouldn't we discuss whether your suggestion makes sense or not?

:facepalm:

I'm open to that, but I am not going to wait until the next patch to suggest a tank just so we know more about the next patch. If not now, then when?

Oh yeah, excellent idea.

Let's keep adding post-1945 (even post-korea) tanks to the game so german 1941 tigers have to fight vs M1A1 abrams when the game's complete!

And yet, when we DO suggest tanks that are suitable for proper rank V vehicles... people like you flip their lids, and make excuses to keep them out of the game.... make up your minds.

As for the vehicle itself... It should be an interesting toy to play with, so I approve :yes:

medal medal medal

semi-automatic? will it have the same mean special rounds as the bulldog? this thing might be a little too good for now, but keep it in mind if things keep power-creeping higher and higher

Looks to me like somebody big stepped on an AMX 13-75 :Ds .

[...]

Looks like a cheap american ELC AMX knockoff :Ds

medal medal medal

And yet, when we DO suggest tanks that are suitable for proper rank V vehicles... people like you flip their lids, and make excuses to keep them out of the game.... make up your minds.

As for the vehicle itself... It should be an interesting toy to play with, so I approve :yes:

German 1942 Tigers H1 fighting 1952 M41 Walker Bulldogs is happening right now. Tiger is a Tier IV tank. If you add that 1953 tank, im absolutely sure that 1943 panthers and 1944 koenigstigers will have to fight that 1953 tank. So, where's your point?

medal