Display of team artillery fire on tactical map

DennyMala

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want this suggestion implemented?

• yes
    • no
    • I'm thinking of something different (please post your thoughts)

I'd like to see the warning for incoming artillery strike removed for the enemy team as no onse in his sanity would warn the enemy of an incoming fire barrage so it can move out of the way.

Along with that, I'd like to see a more visible and audible representation for the friendly team of the location and coming of the called strike so that it's easier to move away and coordinate.

I guess a superimposed marker on the ground along with the audible message would be good to have and a marker should be put on the mini map too so that coordination in strikes can be done.

If possibile, a timer to impact too would be nice to have for better understanding and avoidance.

EDIT: Topic merged with another with similar proposal made by Warlord1981NL. You can find the other OP at the link below:

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/211859-display-of-team-artillery-fire-on-tactical-map/?p=4081633

Edited by DennyMala
  • Upvote 34
medal

I support, it would be great if

• an automatic team chat-message would be created, like "Artillery by DennyMala666 called upon H6!"
  • and a marker would show in the minimap where exactly that strike is supposed to hit.
  • Upvote 7
medal medal medal medal medal

What if the only sound you'll get to hear when you are about to be barraged is the whistling sound of the artillery raining down on you already?

If an enemy decides to shell me, it takes x seconds for the mortars to travel towards me, and once they are coming close you hear the whistle, giving you less time than we currently have to get away, just like in real combat situations.

Once the tankcrew noticed they are being shelled, only THEN you hear a message like INCOMIIING! GO! GO! GO! Also, would it be an idea to make like 5 to 10 variations of what your crew will say when they are being barraged? Just for the fun variety ;)

ISYD  :salute:

• Upvote 4
medal medal

I'd like to see the warning for incoming artillery strike removed for the enemy team as no onse in his sanity would warn the enemy of an incoming fire barrage so it can move out of the way.

I agree with this completely.  All the warning you really need is the ranging shots before the actual barrage.

Id rather they fix the spotting mechanic first.

This is not the thread for that, leave it out of here, it is not even related.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

and once they are coming close you hear the whistle, giving you less time than we currently have to get away, just like in real combat situations.

You watched too many movies.

Have you ever been at the receiving end of an artillery strike?

Do you think a tank crew will hear the "whistle" over the sound of their engines?

Edited to add:

Yes, remove the warning. It makes no sense.

+1 to Denny's suggestion.

Edited by Blastmaster1972
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

I support, it would be great if

• an automatic team chat-message would be created, like "Artillery by DennyMala666 called upon H6!"
  • and a marker would show in the minimap where exactly that strike is supposed to hit.

I would like an overlay on the groun too for the team in AB mode. Not in RB or SB of course as it will break immersion I guess.

Id rather they fix the spotting mechanic first.

Not the place for that unfortunately, if we keep it to the point we might have a change of getiing this put in the game.

What if the only sound you'll get to hear when you are about to be barraged is the whistling sound of the artillery raining down on you already?

If an enemy decides to shell me, it takes x seconds for the mortars to travel towards me, and once they are coming close you hear the whistle, giving you less time than we currently have to get away, just like in real combat situations.

Once the tankcrew noticed they are being shelled, only THEN you hear a message like INCOMIIING! GO! GO! GO! Also, would it be an idea to make like 5 to 10 variations of what your crew will say when they are being barraged? Just for the fun variety ;)

ISYD  :salute:

We have whistling sound for the bombs already but I guess you won't hear much for incoming artillery shells mainly due to the higher velocity they have over bombs and the fact they are more streamlined.

I tend to agree to Blastmaster on this.

medal

Remove the arty and UAV god eye of the sky. 

Again, this is a different matter and it's in discussion in other proposals here in the forum.

• Upvote 2
medal

Great suggestion, maybe this will make artillery strikes hit the target rather than annoy the recipients.

Another way they could approach this other than complete removal for the enemy  would be like this.

[Lets imagine the enemy has a recon ]

whenever someone orders artillery , all enemies hear "Enemy artillery opening fire, watch out !".  It would be nice due to its psychological effects and how they will not know if its destined for them.  But it might get too cluttered in AB. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Well, even if it may be a good idea, the cluttering and all the conditions to program to make it work as intended might make me think it's better to steer away from that.

I would even be favourable to make the first couple of shot even less accurate while the arty adjust the aim so that the effective strike point would be less predictable.

• Upvote 2
medal

• 1 month later...

Good suggestion to remove warnings to enemy, just to make a point though, I think the artillery could do with being more random as its a pinpoint strike almost. Maybe if its randomness could cover an entire grid squares or something?

On visibilty for friendlies i'd like to propose that a red (danger) marker appear for friendlies similar to the circular marker used for capture points, except for artillery its a tube from the ground to the sky. The red tube would be visible in third person mode, on the map, and when the friendly is inside the zone the screen has a warning or is colored red.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

I don't think it should be removed. I could go with "INCOMING ARTILLERY!" being removed, but not the voice. I need the voice to know when to escape, otherwise I might be dead double as often.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Good suggestion to remove warnings to enemy, just to make a point though, I think the artillery could do with being more random as its a pinpoint strike almost. Maybe if its randomness could cover an entire grid squares or something?

On visibilty for friendlies i'd like to propose that a red (danger) marker appear for friendlies similar to the circular marker used for capture points, except for artillery its a tube from the ground to the sky. The red tube would be visible in third person mode, on the map, and when the friendly is inside the zone the screen has a warning or is colored red.

Right now it's pinpoint only if you are very close to the target and it's something that is supposed to work that way, I won't touch the accuracy much.

I don't think it should be removed. I could go with "INCOMING ARTILLERY!" being removed, but not the voice. I need the voice to know when to escape, otherwise I might be dead double as often.

The whole point is to have the enemy dead when you call in a strike, why the heck would you warn them so they can escape?
The warning would be the ranging shots that comes before the real barrage and that are less precise.

• Upvote 1
medal

wouldnt mind some Changes to team damage, ive yet to actually kill an enemy with arty but friendly tanks who swosh trough my arty Always seem to get instakilled by it xD ive lost tons of tanks to enemy arty.

And ye it's really odd to warn your enemy about an arty strike, it's like a hunter shouting at hes game to stand still cus i'm gonna shoot you

medal medal medal medal medal

Lots of good ideas here

However- the game function of artillery is to get campers moving.So warning them is a vital part of this.

Would be better if artillery automatically damaged your turret or something if you didnt, rather than kill so often. Less deadly but more to the point, not for kills and camp then arty spamming to get your points.

Maybe the deadlier arty for balance to keep tanks of the same year together in BR.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Lots of good ideas here
However- the game function of artillery is to get campers moving.So warning them is a vital part of this.
Would be better if artillery automatically damaged your turret or something if you didnt, rather than kill so often. Less deadly but more to the point, not for kills and camp then arty spamming to get your points.
Maybe the deadlier arty for balance to keep tanks of the same year together in BR.

Well I think that the warning would be the ranging shots made before the barrage. If you are too focussed to notice, then it's your own fault.
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I guess an arty attack is made to destroy something. It may not work many times but that is the intention behind it.

Campers or not, that is what it should attempt to do. A dead camper is better than a moving camper.

• Upvote 1
medal

Good idea I like it I agree but do not remove the voice message of our sector is under artillery barrage so that it is said once the barrage starts I like that message a lot!

Edited by Tzalafim
medal medal

One of the jobs of the TC (Tank Commander) is to be on the look out for threats, and call them out to the crew. In the case of incoming artillery, he would actually get a warning from (at the time) an observer plane who spots the shots being fired if one was in the area. Obviously, at the time this wasn't always possible, but, Artillery Shells and Mortar Shells do 'howl' when they're incoming. A good example can be found in some Iraq and Afghanistan combat footage. Whether or not the TC would actually hear it over the noise of battle is uncertain, but if he did, he'd be screaming at the Driver to back off, while telling everyone to brace for the incoming fire (since there were guns out there that could flip Shermans [and other tanks] on their side, bracing would indeed be necessary).

Admittedly, we need that warning for more then just the Artillery, we need it for incoming ordinance as well. But again, it should be the TC giving an audible warning to the crew, not some random dude that we don't know from somewhere off map.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

The artillery could still be used as an anti camping measure  without the radio message and on- screen test warning. The arty strikes would just have to fire more warning shots. A player whose paying attention would notice them and move. Even if i was camping I'd want to move as soon as i saw and heard arty shells creeping closer and closer to my vehicle. Any player that doesn't take the hint will  take the hit, ie full force of the arty strike. Which should definitely cripple the tank if not kill it regardless of how heavy it is. That will teach them not to stay in one place for too long.

Edited by sirtrex
medal