"Mirror" option for Decals

foxlight713

Just recently started playing War Thunder and one thing I noticed while customizing the decals on my P40 was the Lack of a "Mirror" option for decals especially when applying the Wolf/Shark Jaw decals. Now I know there is a "Two Sided" option bu that only really works well with Text or decals that have text like the American Pin Ups.

For example when applying the Wolf Jaw decal on to the left side of the plane then turning on the Two Sided option.  On the right side of the plane the decal will be facing backwards and at the wrong angle. With the "Mirror" option enabled the decal will be mirrored to the other side of the plane facing the same direction, same size and angle. 

I know I can't be the only one who would appreciat something like this. Especially when applying decals like the Jaw ones where I want it to be in the exact same spot, exact size and exact angle on both sides of the plane.

Sorry if this has been suggested before.
  • Upvote 40
medal medal

There's a flip button there. Hit that then adjust the positioning after.

I've already tried that and it flips both sides resulting in the same opposite facing decal on one side, in addition it will rotate in the opposite direction as well.  With the way the current Two Sided tool works it can not be used with Jaw decals and others with the same issues.  You have to use 2 decal slots to get a jaw decal (and others with the same issues) to properly mirror them.  Even then its not 100% garentee that they are in the exact same position.

• Upvote 4
medal medal

• Technical Moderator

It needs 2 flips, horizontal AND vertical.  its missing one.

• Upvote 1

I want this feature and not just for eyes or mouths. For lightning bolts and such, too. Anything except text that I"d want to display on both sides of my plane's body, nose, tail or even wings...I'd most likely prefer having it mirrored as opposed to being copied and flipped.

I usually try to line up some pictures on top of the plane's national decals(like the russian star) and when I try to have the image on both sides, one side always winds up uneven.

• Upvote 1

It is not needed. You need 2 decal slots. Seeing your pic I assume for the jaws decal. Place decal 1. Then choose decal slot 2 with the same decal, rotate the aircraft (keep RMB pressed and move mouse), flip the decal and place it.

The disadvantage is that you need 4 slots for jaws + eyes. :)

I did that for my Zerstörer:

shot20130320224245_zpsc63f7d1a.jpg

They won't fix this.  They want people to buy pemium to have the 4 decal slots to use many of the 2 sided decals.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Technical Moderator

Still hoping...

• Upvote 2

Nope, give us a mirror mode. In addition, some more paint options would be cool, like invasion stripes and whatnot. Some of my favorite games from back in the day offered very good paint scheme options. I'd really like to see a system that allows modification of historical skins or custom skins here in War Thunder. I used to spend hours messing around with the limited schemes in a certain skyfy game.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

This is definitely needed.  Since they allow you to use one decal for both sides they need to allow mirroring of the opposite side.  It won't be that simple of a change however considering how they implement the decal showing up on both sides now.  They allow the decal to transfer right through the model (which is annoying).  That is why when you use the "two sided" option your decals show up on the inside of the cockpit as well, and they also cause problems with nacelles.  To implement this they need to make the "two sided' option automatically create a duplicate decal on the opposite side of the model with the same coordinates.  Then they should have "mirror horizontal' and "mirror vertical" options to the "two sided" ability.  It definitely could be done and should be done. 

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

The double-side decal as it is now, works great for words/inscriptions.

But for decals like jaws (pictures) it does not work.

Developers should take care and correct it.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

If it works for numbers, the mirror function is obviously there. They should make it work for the other decals, too.

medal