M551 Sheridan and Test Beds

ustinodj

M551 Questions  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Should be get an M551 or variant?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What M551 variant(s) is any should we get?

• M551 Sheridan
    • XM551
    • T49 (152mm)
    • T49 (90mm)
    • We should not get any variant.

The M551 would be the perfect tier 5 light tank for the US, but having been made in the 1960s (and in the T49s case 1950s) it is slightly controversial what version we should get in game.(keep note we are getting 1960s tanks such as M60, Leo 1, and T-62 in 1.51 or so) 

M551

m551_sheridan.jpg

shl.jpgM551 Sheridan firing the MGM-51 Shillelagh 

sheridan_01.jpg'Clean' M551, no armor packs or AAMG 

The M551 is the first standardized variant of the M551

Gun-

1x M81E1 152mm

1x 7mm coaxial

1x M2HB 12.7mm AAMG

Ammo- Capable of 

20x 152mm shells

AND/OR

10x MGM-51 Shillelagh capable of 393mm of penetration @ 0 degrees (NOTE: Tank missiles HAVE been confirmed by BVV_d) 

Speed- 70km/h, 20HP/tonne

XM551

XM551.jpg

Basically an M551 that is not standardized and has no MGM-51 ammunition.

Gun-

1x M81E1 152mm

1x 7mm coaxial

1x M2HB 12.7mm AAMG

Ammo- 20x 152mm

Speed- 70km/h, 20hp/tonne

T49 (152mm) 

irGV0BI.jpg

A simplified XM551 turret and gun on an M41 chassis

Gun-

1x M81E1 152mm

1x 7mm coaxial

1x 12.7mm AAMG

Ammo- 20x 152mm

Speed- 72km/h, 21hp/tonne

T49 (90mm) 

t49_006.jpg

The first step in the US's mission to get a new light tank, basically an upgraded M47 turret and gun on an M41 chassis.

Gun-

1x M36 90mm 

Ammo-

(need source)x 90mm in game, it has 269mm APCR @ 10m 0 degrees, and 210mm HEAT @ 0 degrees

List of sources

http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/m551.html

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/tank/M551.html

https://books.google.com/books?id=LgVNX_p0HqsC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=M81E1+152mm+data&source=bl&ots=SbRAWicrxV&sig=YyHITcBmF9z3vHCQIw7QxB_ZSVk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MKwBVcPHOYuHyAS8koGYDA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=M81E1%20152mm%20data&f=false

Edited by ustinodj
  • Upvote 29
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion.  :salute:

• Upvote 1

the 90mm t49 is the stronger candidate at the moment, being a more conventional machine, and being made of mostly pre-existing assets

whats the penetration on the 152mm heat shells?

• Upvote 3

the 90mm t49 is the stronger candidate at the moment, being a more conventional machine, and being made of mostly pre-existing assets

whats the penetration on the 152mm heat shells?

MGM-51 has 393mm, need some sources for other rounds. (Mainly just HEAT and HE are needed) 

Edited by ustinodj

After all, it is time in-game where US mounts a howitzer on a tank. 

medal

The problem is, that the ammunition that was fired from these 152mms wasn't the conventional type of shells, but rockets and the HEAT ones were navigated (I think it was by a wire, but not sure) and I'm nor really sure how this would be implemented in game and how would it influence it. It's too easy to hit a guided missile even on a long range and with mentioned 393 mm penetration... Although according to me it could be in game if it had only HE rockets (unnavigated), but at the top of the GF BR (currently 8.0).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The problem is, that the ammunition that was fired from these 152mms wasn't the conventional type of shells, but rockets and the HEAT ones were navigated (I think it was by a wire, but not sure) and I'm nor really sure how this would be implemented in game and how would it influence it. It's too easy to hit a guided missile even on a long range and with mentioned 393 mm penetration... Although according to me it could be in game if it had only HE rockets (unnavigated), but at the top of the GF BR (currently 8.0).

I am saying the M551 should be 9.0 BR with things like the M60, T-62, and Leo 1(or even 10.0 woth the other 60s tanks) Edited by ustinodj
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind the T49's so much that seems like a decent enough evolution to the M41, the M551's could come in later when the likes of the T-62/Leo/M60 come in at the 9.0 mark.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Yes please and with a growing number of stuff that came out around the 1950's and the 1960's I would like this and have the A-6 Intruder

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I do quite like this tank. Always have. Thanks Mercs 2.

However. Timelines and whatnot seemingly have been thrown out the window. So I don't see any issues with it.

medal medal medal medal

After all, it is time in-game where US mounts a howitzer on a tank.

The M4 105 sent you a card drenched in what appear to be the tears of rejection. It reads, "I'm an American tank with a howitzer, notice me Fifty Calories!" Said sherman was later found roaming the outskirts of Kursk, trying to steal 122mm howitzers to mount on its turret...
  • Upvote 1

STRONK 152MM H.E. WILL DESTROY ALL.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

The M4 105 sent you a card drenched in what appear to be the tears of rejection. It reads, "I'm an American tank with a howitzer, notice me Fifty Calories!" Said sherman was later found roaming the outskirts of Kursk, trying to steal 122mm howitzers to mount on its turret...

Large caliber* Not some puny 105. 

medal

I want the Sheridan and I want ATGMs, the whole package. If implemented correctly, missiles could be a lot of fun and mix up the upper tiers a little.

• Upvote 2
medal

Do you imagine firing a HEAT missile with 393mm of penetration against a Maus from the other side of the map? Or against a T-54? Or a huge M103 in Arcade?

I'm all for new historical tanks, especially if they saw action and are modelled right, but... ATGMs seem to be a little bit too much, sadly. That "G" scares me a bit, in this kind of game. It can create a whole mountain of unbalance and crap, and there is no way back. Just look at what happened to WoT and their power creep... I don't want that for WT.

Voted "Yes" --> "T49 90 mm"

Edited by ohsi
medal medal medal medal

Do you imagine firing a HEAT missile with 393mm of penetration against a Maus from the other side of the map? Or against a T-54? Or a huge M103 in Arcade?

I'm all for new historical tanks, especially if they saw action and are modelled right, but... ATGMs seem to be a little bit too much, sadly. That "G" scares me a bit, in this kind of game. It can create a whole mountain of unbalance and crap, and there is no way back. Just look at what happened to WoT and their power creep... I don't want that for WT.

Voted "Yes" --> "T49 90 mm"

You shouldn't be afraid of guided missiles. Just like early air-to-air missiles, early ATGMs weren't very reliable. I think they're actually very easy to balance, Sure, they're devastating, but you need to have constant LOS to the target and must keep focused on guiding it all the time it takes to fly to the target. You also have to remember that you were guiding it with a joystick from your point of view, not the missile's. I magine trying to fly a remote-controlled rocket plane into a tank-sized target at 2km while possibly under fire. It's not that easy. One thing that I think is problematic however, is the minimum range, as all ATGMs need time to get up to speed.

• Upvote 2
medal

I'm pretty sure there was already a suggestion about this and I said yes. Well, I'm saying yes again, except not the M551, it's too late for the game. The XM551 and T49 (152) are fine for me.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal