VK 16.02 "Leopard"

Shinzu

VK 16.02 "Leopard"  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see the VK 16.02 in Warthunder ?

• Yes
    • No (explain)
  2. 2. How should it be implemented ?

• Normal Techtree
    • Premium
    • Special Event (by doing achievements)
    • One Time Implementation (unlockable for 3-4 days)
    • I don't care which
  3. 3. What BR could be possible ?

• BR 3.0
    • BR 3.3
    • BR 3.7
    • BR 4.0
    • BR 4.3
    • I don't care which

The “Leopard” VK 16.02
In mid-1941, M.A.N was working on the design of the VK 16.02 for which they had received a contract for the completion of Versuchsfahrgestelle. By the end of November 1941, M.A.N. has completed the drawings for the wooden mock-up of the VK 16.02 (m) revealing a chassis with well-slopped armor (similar to the Pz.Kpfw. V Sd.Kfz. 171 “Panther” design of M.A.N.). It had thicker armor than the Panther with an 80mm glacis plast set at 55 degrees to the vertical, 80mm lower hull front at 55 degrees, 60 mm upper side plates at 40mm, 60mm lower side plates at 0 degrees, 50mm rear plate at 30 degrees and 20mm plates for the deck and belly. In order to aid M.A.N. engineers in the delaying of the VK 16.02 project, which had become very important in recent plans, Wa Pruef 6 decided to turn detailed design of the chassis over to MIAG in January 1942. The turret with the 5cm Kw.K. L/60 as the main armament was being designed by Daimler-Benz.
Based on the Wa Pruef 6 data sheets, the final version of the Panzerkampfwagen Leopard had a combat load of 21.9 metric tons. It was not a small vehicle with an overall length of 4.74 meters, width of 3.10 meters and a height of 2.60 meters with a ground clearance of 0.50 meters. Power was provided by a water cooled Maybach HL 157 gasoline engine (rated at 550 metric horsepower at 3600 rpm) was transferred through a Maybach OG 55 11 17 semi-automatic transmission, to the multi-stage steering unit, and final drives to the sprockets driving 660mm wide tracks. In the end, the Leopard was to have the same tracks as the Panther (previous specifications had called for 650mm wide tracks with 150mm pitch) providing very good floatation at 0.71 kg/cm² ground pressure. Maximum speed was 60 km/hr with sustainable speed on improved roads and 30 km/hr cross-country. It was designed to climb 30 degree slopes, climb over 0.85 meter tall steps, cross 2.3 meter wide trenches and ford bodies of water up to 5.0 meters deep. The five 960mm road-wheels were inter-leavened to reduce ground contact length to 2.420 meters, it had achieved the ultimate goal in steering ratios of very close to 1.
The main armament was mounted in the turret with a coaxial 7.92mm MG 42 (with a much higher cylic rate than the MG34) Stowage was provided for 50 rounds of 5 cm Pzgr. and Sprgr. and 2400 rounds of 7.92mm SmK.
The Well slopped frontal armor provided adequate protection against all but the most powerful Allied anti-tank guns. While similar in general shape to the turret mounted on the s.Pz.Sp.Wg. (Sd.Kfz. 234/2) “Puma”, the turret for the Leopard was larger and had thicker armor sloped at greater angles. the 50mm turret front plate was set at 20 degrees, 30mm side and rear plates at 30 degrees, and 16mm roof plate at horizontal.
An xxxx 2 or xxxx 5 set was standard with an xxxx 8 provided for communication between the four crew members consisting of a driver, loader/radio operator, gunner and commander.
Before the first production series Leopard entered the assembly line, Hitler decided on 3 January, 1943 that the Leopard was to be dropped from the Panzerprogramm because its armor and armament (even as a reconnaissance vehicle) did not meet the specifications that would arise in 1944

(edit the xxxx is censoring of the forum because an F and U standing next to each other...)

Final production layout

[spoiler]VK-1602-final.gif[/spoiler]

Wooden prototyp

[spoiler]VK_1602_Leopard_pic2.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler]VK_1602_Leopard_pic4.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler]VK_1602_Leopard_pic3.jpg[/spoiler]

Engine at the rear

[spoiler]5809931140_71827b89e8_z.jpg[/spoiler]

Armour layout

[spoiler]heavy+leopard.jpg[/spoiler]

50mm KwK 39 L/60 Penetration values

[spoiler]6F7013DA15824DB68D288B9CBCFCA8E7.jpg[/spoiler]

Source: http://fallschirmjager.tumblr.com/post/20365303159/gefechtsaufklaerer-leopard-vk-16-02-the

Edited by Shinzu
  • Upvote 55
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion.  :salute:

I believe that the VK 16.02 Leopard was suggested in the past,but I'll leave it up for the time being. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Open for discussion.  :salute:

I believe that the VK 16.02 Leopard was suggested in the past,but I'll leave it up for the time being. 

I didn't found it on the previous suggested ideas list but thanks. ^^

I dont know, I would rather like to see some versions of the Panzerkampfwagen II, like the "Luchs" where 100 with 20mm and 30 with 50mm cannon were built and actually used than have another tank that never existed.

Edited by cptcosmic
  • Upvote 4

in light of the popularity of the u.s. light tanks line, beefing up the light options of other nations could be good, but there are extant vehicles such as the 50mm l/60 armed armored car puma version that can be explored before needing to dip into projects like this which did not seem to have proceeded past wooden mockup.

in light of the popularity of the u.s. light tanks line, beefing up the light options of other nations could be good, but there are extant vehicles such as the 50mm l/60 armed armored car puma version that can be explored before needing to dip into projects like this which did not seem to have proceeded past wooden mockup.

It was ready for series production but dropped. ^^

• Upvote 2

really? if that is the case, then carry on. of course, both this and the puma are just middle-tier material, it would be really exciting for people to dig up things that could compete with the likes of the chafee and bulldog, and the proposed pt-76

Not reallyyyy, there was not even a working prototype. Only a wooden mock-up. No production line was readied for production.

They did indeed had every blueprint and scheduled ready, but then again Germany scheduled the production of Ju 128, of which Germany had a wooden mock-up and all drawings ready as well.

However, the Ju128 was an advanced design, the Leopard wasn't.

The design was classified as not on par with current technology development.

Thus the Luchs (Panzer 2), Sd.Kfz. 234 and SdKfz 250 took over the job, without affecting production limits.

Further: How should this thing work ingame? A figuratively Panther chassis armour wise with a 50mm. That thing is the KV-1 ZiS armour and penetration wise with better mobility but no gun-damage.

It either ends up at 3.7 like the other last German 50mm, where is will rofl stomp due speed and armour.

Or it ends up at 4.7 like the KV-1 ZiS, still speedy enough but without any note worthy gun (and reduced rate of fire, two man turret, so you cant even spam APCR).

Dont forget it will meet at both BRs the tanks for which it was phased out of planned production: T-34-76 & SU-85.

Yes, the tank is cute, but so is the Renault FT and you don't wanna drive that either.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

Not reallyyyy, there was not even a working prototype. Only a wooden mock-up. No production line was readied for production.

They did indeed had every blueprint and scheduled ready, but then again Germany scheduled the production of Ju 128, of which Germany had a wooden mock-up and all drawings ready as well.

Thus the Luchs (Panzer 2), Sd.Kfz. 234 and SdKfz 250 took over the job, without affecting production limits.

Further: How should this thing work ingame? A figuratively Panther chassis armour wise with a 50mm. That thing is the KV-1 ZiS armour and penetration wise with better mobility but no gun-damage.

It either ends up at 3.7 like the other last German 50mm, where is will rofl stomp due speed and armour.

Or it ends up at 4.7 like the KV-1 ZiS, still speedy enough but without any note worthy gun (and reduced rate of fire, two man turret, so you cant even spam APCR).

Dont forget it will meet at both BRs the tanks for which it was phased out of planned production: T-34-76 & SU-85.

Yes, the tank is cute, but so is the Renault FT and you don't wanna drive that either.

"Panzerprogramm 41" made provisions to build 339 Leopards (105 by December 1943 and further 150 by mid 1944). The start of production was previously planned for April of 1943, but the entire production was cancelled in January of 1943, when the first prototype was still incomplete. The reason for cancellation was its heavy weight and lack of heavy armament which made the vehicle vulnerable to enemy tanks. Also the fact of Leopard being similar to Panther pointed out that reconnaissance Panther can be developed and produced at lower cost.

It would end up as a premium I think and the Luchs as a normal unlockable tank both having maybe the same BR. ^^

• Haha 1

I hope we get a German light tank line with would be a great T3 light could go something like this

T1: Pz1c

T2: Pz2L

T3: VK 16.02

T4: Something

T5: Something

anyway its a plus 1 from me :D i loved this thing in WoT no matter how bad it was :P

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I hope we get a German light tank line with would be a great T3 light could go something like this

anyway its a plus 1 from me :D i loved this thing in WoT no matter how bad it was :P

Indeed, I would play the Luchs and Leopard all day long even when I get killed hundreds of times. Funny, cute machines. ^^

• Like 1

Renault FT is a bit terrible considering it will match against T-26s and Pz IIs... If the Renault FT is to be added, then lower tier reserve tanks should suffice, like the T-18M or the Pz I C. ... 

Edited by Fifty_Calories
medal

FWIW, the development of the "Leopard" is rather curious, in that before the construction was fully authorized, a number of turrets for the tank had been created.  When the Leopard development was stopped, those turrets were instead placed on the SdKfz 232/4 "Puma" armored scout car.

i want it. pretty little tank =D

edit: those angles look like they would be fun with the bounce chances we have..

It's nearly armored and sloped like the Panther. Mini Panther ^^

• Like 1

Renault FT is a bit terrible considering it will match against T-26s and Pz IIs... If the Renault FT is to be added, then lower tier reserve tanks should suffice, like the T-18M or the Pz I C. ... 

I think you did not understood what I meant.

I agree with you, the Renault FT would be bad.

The argument was made that a vehicle should be introduced, because it is cute.

Both the Vk16.02 and the FT are cute.

I would probably go with something like the following:

Tier 1: Panzer II Ausf C/F - BR 1.0
Tier 2: Panzer II Ausf J - BR 2.0
Tier 3: Panzer II Ausf L (main production series with 20mm kwk38) - BR 2.7
Tier 3: Panzer II Ausf L (production model with 50mm Pak 38 or kwk39. 50 built) - BR 3.3
Tier 4: VK.16.02 - BR 3.7

Remember, the tiers have nothing to do with the actual BR. Theoretically you can have a tier IV with a BR of 3.0. It's more or less to divide up the trees themselves into chunks that have to be progressed through. Edited by Brogan1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Sorta like the Aufklarungspanzer Panther over at the hell hole we call 'World of Tanks' if we get it with the Panzer I turret - impenetrable  yet can't penetrate... 

medal medal medal

I previously suggested this.

That is correct but you made a suggestion about several german tanks that could be premium. I made a thread only about the Leopard with alot of data. ^^ But in the end we have to blame it on the one how's not editing the Previous suggested thread. :o

Edited by Shinzu