All explanation of ammo types

Knugen1015

[quote name="Popingheads" post="254128" timestamp="1363894919"] You didn't bother checking the in game encyclopedia did you? It should be required reading.[/quote] I stand corrected then. In this case I was wrong to flame gaijin. Guess its easy to flame and now I look the fool haha. Thanks for the heads up ill take a look in the encyclopedia.

[quote name="totte1015" post="254554" timestamp="1363900628"]Well it only has machine guns, so it may not have it, can get OP then[/quote] My bad I got HE confused with 'I' rounds, I'll double check when I finish work to see if the in game Spits can be equipped with 'I' rounds.
medal

Simplicity is,

Everything with HE in it, is good for lightly armored planes, almost all fighters

And anything with AP in it is good for well armored bombers

I lol'd at "well armored bombers"... bombers are anything but armored in this game >.>

that means they are also good for ground units harder than AA and cars, i.e. medium tanks?

Soooo......with regards to strafing ground targets....

I'm presuming lots of AP is good for armoured cars/light tanks?

or

Lots of HE is good for AA/Artillery targets?

Any ideas?

medal medal medal medal medal

Was levelling through the dorniers (attackers) lately and i felt absolutly no difference from standard to the upgraded onces (omni on mg's and air on the cannons) i really suspect that the bigger amount of damage xperiened since 1.29 is due ro improved dm's

Yes an official notion about the differences in shell types from different nations would be very useful

Nice topic, many tanks hope a lot will see the topic for clarification
medal medal medal medal

New Gun Ammo Types

Open the spoilers to see more detailed historical information about it. May not reflect how it is ingame.

I = Incendiary

[SPOILER]

During World War II, incendiary rounds found a new use: they became one of the preferred types of ammunition for use in interceptor fighters. They were not nearly as effective at puncturing enemy bomber aircraft as armor piercing rounds, but were far more effective than standard rounds because they could also ignite fuel if they came into contact with a fuel tank or pipeline. Incendiary rounds were developed in Britain following the failure of a Swiss-developed incendiary (De Wilde ammunition) when it was tested for use in the Hawker Hurricane and Supermarine Spitfire. A round with similar incendiary capabilities was developed by Major Dixon at the Woolwich Arsenal, and was adopted by British forces as the 0.303 Incendiary B Mark VI. It was initially called De Wilde ammunition, even though the design was almost entirely different from the original Swiss version. The B Mark VI incendiary bullet was packed with nitrocellulose, and a small steel ball was placed in the tip of the bullet to ensure that the chemical explode on impact. As opposed to earlier designs, the M Mark VI was a true incendiary round rather than a tracer round.

One fighter pilot who was shot down by incendiary rounds while flying in the Battle of Britain describes his experience:

Source: Wikipedia

T = Tracer

[SPOILER]

Tracer ammunition (tracers) are bullets or cannon caliber projectiles that are built with a small pyrotechnic charge in their base. Ignited by the burning powder, the pyrotechnic composition burns very brightly, making the projectile visible to the naked eye. This enables the shooter to follow the projectile trajectory in order to make aiming corrections.

When used, tracers are usually loaded as every fifth round in machine gun belts, referred to as four-to-one tracer. Platoon and squad leaders will sometimes load their magazines entirely with tracers to mark targets for their soldiers to fire on. Tracers are also sometimes placed two or three rounds from the bottom of magazines to alert the shooter that their weapon is almost empty.

Tracer rounds may also ignite flammable substances on contact from a nominal distance.

[/SPOILER]

IT = Incendiary Tracer

[SPOILER]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ncO0GMBYA

[/SPOILER]AP = Armour Piercing

[SPOILER]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor-piercing_shot_and_shell

[/SPOILER]HE = High Explosive
API = Armour Piercing Incendiary
APT = Armour Piercing Tracer
HEI = High Explosive Incendiary

[SPOILER]

High-explosive incendiary is a type of ammunition specially designed to impart energy and therefore damage to its target in one or both of two ways: via a high-explosive charge and/or via its incendiary (fire-causing) effects. Each round has both capabilities.

HEI ammunition is fused either mechanically or chemically. The armor-piercing ability can vary widely, allowing for more focused fragmentation or larger scatter.

[/SPOILER]

HET = High Explosive Tracer
APIT = Armour Piercing Incendiary Tracer
APRC = Armor Piercing Reduced Caliber
APCR = Armor Piercing Composite Rigid
HEIT = High Explosive Incendiary Tracer
SAPI = Semi Armour Piercing Incendiary
APIHC = Armour Piercing Incendiary Hollow Core
P&PT = Phosphorus and Phosphorus Tracer

[SPOILER]

japanese-incendiary-bullet.jpg

[/SPOILER]
thanks to Remo for the P&PT one :)

Simplicity:

Everything with HE in it, is good for lightly armored planes, almost all fighters

And any type of ammo with an I(incendiary) has a higer chance of igniting the plane you shoot, if you hit the fuelparts.

Ihe ment ingame i think some kind formula etc

Nice list, however a few more indepth ingame stats would be greatly appreciated. (Dmg/round etc.)

Exactly. I'd love to see something like symtic.com is for battlefield 3 (http://symthic.com/bf3-weapon-charts) with the exact ingame stats & graphs, maybe even a comparison tool.

Anyways, very nice thread. Going to bookmark it ;)

New Gun Ammo Types

Open the spoilers to see more detailed historical information about it. May not reflect how it is ingame.

I = Incendiary

[SPOILER]

During World War II, incendiary rounds found a new use: they became one of the preferred types of ammunition for use in interceptor fighters. They were not nearly as effective at puncturing enemy bomber aircraft as armor piercing rounds, but were far more effective than standard rounds because they could also ignite fuel if they came into contact with a fuel tank or pipeline. Incendiary rounds were developed in Britain following the failure of a Swiss-developed incendiary (De Wilde ammunition) when it was tested for use in the Hawker Hurricane and Supermarine Spitfire. A round with similar incendiary capabilities was developed by Major Dixon at the Woolwich Arsenal, and was adopted by British forces as the 0.303 Incendiary B Mark VI. It was initially called De Wilde ammunition, even though the design was almost entirely different from the original Swiss version. The B Mark VI incendiary bullet was packed with nitrocellulose, and a small steel ball was placed in the tip of the bullet to ensure that the chemical explode on impact. As opposed to earlier designs, the M Mark VI was a true incendiary round rather than a tracer round.

One fighter pilot who was shot down by incendiary rounds while flying in the Battle of Britain describes his experience:

T = Tracer

[SPOILER]

Tracer ammunition (tracers) are bullets or cannon caliber projectiles that are built with a small pyrotechnic charge in their base. Ignited by the burning powder, the pyrotechnic composition burns very brightly, making the projectile visible to the naked eye. This enables the shooter to follow the projectile trajectory in order to make aiming corrections.

When used, tracers are usually loaded as every fifth round in machine gun belts, referred to as four-to-one tracer. Platoon and squad leaders will sometimes load their magazines entirely with tracers to mark targets for their soldiers to fire on. Tracers are also sometimes placed two or three rounds from the bottom of magazines to alert the shooter that their weapon is almost empty.

Tracer rounds may also ignite flammable substances on contact from a nominal distance.

[/SPOILER]

IT = Incendiary Tracer

[SPOILER]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ncO0GMBYA

[/SPOILER]AP = Armour Piercing

[SPOILER]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor-piercing_shot_and_shell

[/SPOILER]HE = High Explosive
API = Armour Piercing Incendiary
APT = Armour Piercing Tracer
HEI = High Explosive Incendiary

[SPOILER]

High-explosive incendiary is a type of ammunition specially designed to impart energy and therefore damage to its target in one or both of two ways: via a high-explosive charge and/or via its incendiary (fire-causing) effects. Each round has both capabilities.

HEI ammunition is fused either mechanically or chemically. The armor-piercing ability can vary widely, allowing for more focused fragmentation or larger scatter.

[/SPOILER]

HET = High Explosive Tracer
APIT = Armour Piercing Incendiary Tracer
APRC = Armor Piercing Reduced Caliber
APCR = Armor Piercing Composite Rigid
HEIT = High Explosive Incendiary Tracer
SAPI = Semi Armour Piercing Incendiary
APIHC = Armour Piercing Incendiary Hollow Core
P&PT = Phosphorus and Phosphorus Tracer

[SPOILER]

japanese-incendiary-bullet.jpg

[/SPOILER]
thanks to Remo for the P&PT one :)

Simplicity:

And any type of ammo with an I(incendiary) has a higer chance of igniting the plane you shoot, if you hit the fuelparts.

+1 Superb information, exactly what i would have expected from a competent developer before or at the same time as a patch that contained these new ammo types.

• Upvote 1

Well, can anybody explain me this? Please.

Tier 6  us. P-39N-0 airacobra

12,7 mm machine gun ammunition belt for air targets: T- AP-AP-AP-API-HEI

The most of ammunition is AP, will be the ammo HE for air targets?

I continue confused.

I know one thing. Ever since 1.29 the default ammo is not near as effective as it used to be. One more way to gouge your wallet. It's all about the Benjamins huh Gaijin !!

Awesome explanation. +1 for you and -1 for gaijin. Shame on you, players take more time to decrypt your game that yourself!

medal

Well, can anybody explain me this? Please.

Tier 6  us. P-39N-0 airacobra

I continue confused.

Well... Bomber is an air target :P

But i guess its somewhat different

I cant afford to try different stuff out, since buying ammo is expensive

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I could imagine that (12.7mm) machine guns do only very low damage with HE since their caliber is too small to actually deal significant damage to any non-biplane. Therefore they're using AP.

Just a thought, may be totally incorrect. But somehow it makes sense to me that cannons are supposed to carry HE HEI API rounds for damaging enemy planes while MGs are using APs. Thought Cannons with AP rounds can take out med tanks, the 30-37 mm maybe heavys.