De Havilland DH.110 Sea Vixen

221 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the DH110 Sea Vixen, serial XF828 in the FAA line?

• Yes, it would be a perfect 9.0 Fighter
    • Yes, perhaps as a limited 9.0 Fighter
    • Abstain
    • No

DH 110 Sea Vixen

The Sea Vixen is a British Carrier jet designed by De Havilland, before it's before becoming Hawker-Siddeley. It had a crew of 2, a Pilot and an Observer, with a unique off center cockpit and was powered by 2 Rolls-Royce Avon 208 Engines producing 11'230ibf thrust each, giving a top speed of 1'110kmh and climb rate of 46m/s.

Despite production Sea Vixens being armed only with Missiles, it was originally planned to be armed with 4 30mm ADEN Revolver Cannons, with a single prototype being equipped with the set of cannons in a removable gunpod underneath the fuselage. With it's speed and Rate of Climb, along with arament would make this a rather balanced, and a good progressive fighter to finish off the FAA line after the Sea Venom FAW. 20, and taking the 9.0 top spot. The plane also featured a Twin-Boom design, and made its first flight in 1951.

The prototype of the Aircraft was however destroyed, after crashing at an Airshow killing several people due to a sudden jerk of the aircraft changing its center of lift, and producing 12Gs of force, breaking up the airframe. Despite this, the aircraft was still being developed, and in 1956, XF828 made its first carrier landing aboard HMS Ark Royal. XF828 was also the only Vixen to have been armed with 30mm cannons, and would be the model used ingame.

Ingame the aircraft will be equipped with 4x 30mm cannons, with secondary provisions allowing for either 4x 500lb or 2x 1000lb of bombs, due to the vibration of the 30mm cannons, the reason why the guns on the aircraft itself was scrapped, would have a high spread compared to the Hunter's 30mm guns, or having a higher chance for the guns to overheat and jam.

xf828.jpg

dh110-xf828-farnborough-1953.jpg

Specs:

Crew: 2, Pilot and Observer

Powerplant: 2 Rolls-Royce Avon 208 Engines

Top speed: 1'110km/h

Rate of Climb: 46m/s

Armament: 4 30mm ADEN Revolver Cannons

Secondary Armament: 4 500lb or 2 1000lb bombs

Tier: 5

BR: 9.0

Nation: Britain

Branch: Fleet Air Arm

Edit: Picture showing off gunports.

vANcV02.jpg

Edited by SqnLdrAhsokaTano
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 32
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

How is it? 

I was thinking it was OP because of the 4 DEFAs.But its OP armament was never fitted and it used only rockets,missiles and bombs.

Now i'm confused.A even faster canberra with smaller load is broken?

medal medal

I was thinking it was OP because of the 4 DEFAs.But its OP armament was never fitted and it used only rockets,missiles and bombs.

Now i'm confused.A even faster canberra with smaller load is broken?

Me-262 had 4x Mk 108s, does that make it OP as well? And the DEFA's certainly aren't OP. Also the Vixen had ADEN cannons not DEFA Cannons, the DEFA was French.

Edited by PikachuTrainer
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Me-262 had 4x Mk 108s, does that make it OP as well? And the DEFA's certainly aren't OP. Also the Vixen had ADEN cannons not DEFA Cannons, the DEFA was French.

The point is moot.It never used the ADEN.

And the 30mm revolver cannons are op.They have rof above 1200 rpm,muzzle velocity above 750m/s and their ammo can one shot most planes.

medal medal

The point is moot.It never used the ADEN.

And the 30mm revolver cannons are op.They have rof above 1200 rpm,muzzle velocity above 750m/s and their ammo can one shot most planes.

Gaijin seem to disagree as the 30mm ADEN Cannon will be in game, the Hawker Hunter F,1 in the release tree had 4 of them.

Also whether the aircraft had them or not is irrelevant.

• Upvote 6

Hate the off center cockpit, but I (weakly) support. I don't know how many rounds are in the ADENs, so it may not be OP after all. Also, I will not opine whether it fits the game or not, time frame or game play wise.

medal

Hate the off center cockpit, but I (weakly) support. I don't know how many rounds are in the ADENs, so it may not be OP after all. Also, I will not opine whether it fits the game or not, time frame or game play wise.

Time line - The DH110 was being developed since 1946, and first flew in 1951. Also if there is anything about the ADEN's then it would most likely be the same as the Hunter, having 150 per gun. Gameplay wise though is quite debatable, although it is still addable to the British Line.

Edited by PikachuTrainer

Edit: No sea vixen, had a look around, was never armed with 4 30mm ADEN's, it mainly used Air-to-Air rockets and missiles.

But does look sexy as hell.

Edited by Valkyrian0
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Time line - The DH110 was being developed since 1946, and first flew in 1951. Also if there is anything about the ADEN's then it would most likely be the same as the Hunter, having 150 per gun. Gameplay wise though is quite debatable, although it is still addable to the British Line.

It first flew in 1951, but was introduced in 1959. That's why I'm uncertain, but I don't object. About the cannons, it may be OP, but I also don't object.

• Upvote 1
medal

It first flew in 1951, but was introduced in 1959. That's why I'm uncertain, but I don't object. About the cannons, it may be OP, but I also don't object.

The design, and focus, of the plane changed to an all missile Aircraft, which led to it being introduced later.

• Upvote 1

The design, and focus, of the plane changed to an all missile Aircraft, which led to it being introduced later.

You got a point.

medal

Don't see much space for 4x 30mm ADEN's

[spoiler]dh-110.jpg[/spoiler]

Don't see much space for 4x 30mm ADEN's

[spoiler]dh-110.jpg[/spoiler]

Reason being is that the production variant didn't have any, however, if it were equipped they'd have been on the bottom of the fuselage in similar fashion to the Hawker Hunter in a quad gun pack.

AoM_Feb-34.jpg

• Upvote 3

I'll support this, provided that it has cannons and not missiles (obviously).  I mean, just look at it!  It's BEAUTIFUL!

But it didn't have cannons.

medal medal

Reason being is that the production variant didn't have any, however, if it were equipped they'd have been on the bottom of the fuselage in similar fashion to the Hawker Hunter in a quad gun pack.

Not enough space for a gun pack, plus having a look around it was only planned that the prototype would be fitted with either 4 x 20mm hispano's or 2 x 30mm ADEN revolver cannons but was never fitted.

• Upvote 1

Not enough space for a gun pack, plus having a look around it was only planned that the prototype would be fitted with either 4 x 20mm hispano's or 2 x 30mm ADEN revolver cannons but was never fitted.

MY source says 4x 30mm ADEN Cannons. They were removed from the design due to the recoil that caused mounting failure, which in game give it low accuracy and would jam easier than other weapons of that type.

It was originally designed to have them.

I got a better idea, don't feed the troll.

Edited by PikachuTrainer

Early DH.110 concepts had envisioned four 20 millimeter Hispano cannon, or two Aden 30 millimeter revolver cannon, or even a 114 millimeter (4.5 inch) recoilless cannon that the British were infatuated with for a period of time. The big gun fired a proximity-fuzed shell and eliminated recoil by firing a counterweight out the back while the shell went out the front. "Countershot" guns had been considered by several nations since WWI, but they were never seriously used operationally. In the end, no cannon were fitted to the Sea Vixen. Deleting the cannon wasn't a good idea, since the whizzy guided missiles of the era would not turn out to be all that whizzy in actual combat.

http://www.airvectors.net/avvamp_3.html